Mailing List Archive: Ethereal: dev
How to add a subprotocol?

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

mra at pobox

Oct 12, 2000, 5:03 PM

How to add a subprotocol?

The protocol I'm dissecting has a "header" portion, that contains
a "type field", and then a different "payload" for each type.

I'm stratagizing that while I could do it all in one dissector, it
would be "more correct", if possible, to use Ethereal's selection
machinery, and write seperate dissectors for each "type".

So a packet comes in, and the Ethernet dissector does it's thing, and
then then IP dissector does it, and then the UDP dissector does it's part,
and then my "main dissector" does the header, and then one of the
"sub dissector" does the payload.

Possible? Doable? Easy?

--
Mark Atwood |