Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Community

N9 device seeding activity

Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

quim.gil at nokia

N9 device seeding activity

Hi,

Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org
centered device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines
of work where the maemo.org community might want to play a role:

- Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
Store. There is a source of inspiration at
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333

- Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting
familiar and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback
to the developers at http://qt-project.org &
http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9

If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
these tracks:

- Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
apps.formeego.org / etc.

- Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.

What do you think?

Ideally Nokia would provide to the community an amount of devices and
the infrastructure to deliver them for free to the fortunate developers,
using the http://developer.nokia.com infrastructure. The criteria and
selection of recipients could be done by the community itself, and I
could help wherever needed.

If you like the idea we can proceed. A good goal would be to have the
recipients defined by the end of May, so we can have all the shipments
during the first days of June. The closest we get to July the easier
will be to get hit by Summer holidays delays.

(*) I can't 100% confirm a number today but let's say 100 N9s and
(surprise surprise) the last batch of sealed N950s I know about (just a
few units).

--
Quim

anidel at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 16:32, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:
> What do you think?

How can it not be a great idea?

We'd need to agree on a set of criteria for choosing the fortunate candidates.

A Wiki page where candidates will add their own and from which the
Council (?) will pick the fortunate ones. Much like it was done for
the Raspberry Pi.

Aniello

willie.pretorius at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On 19-4-2012 17:32, Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org
> centered device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two
> lines of work where the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>
> - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the
> Nokia Store. There is a source of inspiration at
> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>
> - Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting
> familiar and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing
> feedback to the developers at http://qt-project.org &
> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
>

> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related
> to these tracks:
>
> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>
> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>

> What do you think?
>
> Ideally Nokia would provide to the community an amount of devices and
> the infrastructure to deliver them for free to the fortunate
> developers, using the http://developer.nokia.com infrastructure. The
> criteria and selection of recipients could be done by the community
> itself, and I could help wherever needed.
>
> If you like the idea we can proceed. A good goal would be to have the
> recipients defined by the end of May, so we can have all the shipments
> during the first days of June. The closest we get to July the easier
> will be to get hit by Summer holidays delays.
>
> (*) I can't 100% confirm a number today but let's say 100 N9s and
> (surprise surprise) the last batch of sealed N950s I know about (just
> a few units).
>
> --
> Quim

Hi Quim, This is a really excellent idea!

--
Vriendelike groete/Vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,

Willie Pretorius
Rotterdam, Nederland.
Twitter : http://twitter.com/WilliePre
: http://twitter.com/brokwollie (alleen Afrikaans)
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/wjpretorius

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

19. huhtikuuta 2012 18.44 Willie Pretorius
<willie.pretorius [at] gmail>kirjoitti:

> On 19-4-2012 17:32, Quim Gil wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.orgcentered device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines of
>> work where the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>>
>> - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
>> Store. There is a source of inspiration at http://www.developer.nokia.**
>> com/Community/Wiki/Apps_**Missing<http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing>
>> http://talk.maemo.org/**showthread.php?t=83333<http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333>
>>
>> - Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting familiar
>> and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback to the
>> developers at http://qt-project.org & http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_**
>> 5_on_Nokia_N9 <http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9>
>>

>> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
>> these tracks:
>>
>> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
>> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>>
>> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>>

>> What do you think?

A very good idea. I'd bet that no one in the community has any objections
to this :)

>> Ideally Nokia would provide to the community an amount of devices and the
>> infrastructure to deliver them for free to the fortunate developers, using
>> the http://developer.nokia.com infrastructure. The criteria and
>> selection of recipients could be done by the community itself, and I could
>> help wherever needed.
>>
>> If you like the idea we can proceed. A good goal would be to have the
>> recipients defined by the end of May, so we can have all the shipments
>> during the first days of June. The closest we get to July the easier will
>> be to get hit by Summer holidays delays.

I would emphasize past contributions like testing, applications written for
maemo/meego, community activities, etc. when selecting the recipients (but
not only the past). Basically pretty much the same way that the n950 devkit
and rasbpi things were done having the candidate listing in the public, for
example in maemo wiki. I'd ask the candidates to provide the following
details: name, username, link to maemo.org profile, past contributions,
current activities, plans with the device if selected. And naturally the
task of choosing the recipients goes to the council.

Really hoping to see this boost the developer activity around maemo.org.

-Timo

>> (*) I can't 100% confirm a number today but let's say 100 N9s and
>> (surprise surprise) the last batch of sealed N950s I know about (just a few
>> units).

I could change my n950 with a broken screen :) no seriously, the lucky ones
getting it be careful not to drop it. the screen is a bit sensitive to
falling..

-Timo

> --
>> Quim
>>

> Hi Quim, This is a really excellent idea!
>
> --
> Vriendelike groete/Vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,
>
> Willie Pretorius
> Rotterdam, Nederland.
> Twitter : http://twitter.com/WilliePre
> : http://twitter.com/brokwollie (alleen Afrikaans)
> LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/**wjpretorius<http://www.linkedin.com/in/wjpretorius>

erik at hovland

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org centered
> device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines of work where
> the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>
> - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>
> - Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting familiar
> and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback to the
> developers at http://qt-project.org &
> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
>

> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
> these tracks:
>
> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>
> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>

> What do you think?

I think it is a fantastic idea. I second Timo's suggestion that it be much like
the previous seeding.

Keep the great ideas coming Quim!

Erik Hovland
erik [at] hovland
http://hovland.org/

khertan at khertan

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On 19/04/2012 19:58, Erik Hovland wrote:
>> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org centered
>> device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines of work where
>> the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>>
>> - Encouraging developers bringing stable& interesting apps to the Nokia
>> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
>> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>>
>> - Encouraging developers to port& develop apps to Qt 5, getting familiar
>> and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback to the
>> developers at http://qt-project.org&
>> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
>>

>> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
>> these tracks:
>>
>> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
>> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>>
>> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>>

>> What do you think?
>>
> I think it is a fantastic idea. I second Timo's suggestion that it be much like
> the previous seeding.
>
> Keep the great ideas coming Quim!

EXCELLENT NEWS !

Of course, it s should take care of previous distributed devices to not
distribute a second one to the same people.

A n950 user :)

--
Benoît HERVIER - http://khertan.net/

anidel at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

2012/4/19 Benoît HERVIER <khertan [at] khertan>:
> On 19/04/2012 19:58, Erik Hovland wrote:
>>>
>>> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org centered
>>> device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines of work
>>> where
>>> the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>>>
>>> - Encouraging developers bringing stable&  interesting apps to the Nokia
>>>
>>> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
>>> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
>>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>>>
>>> - Encouraging developers to port&  develop apps to Qt 5, getting familiar
>>>
>>> and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback to the
>>> developers at http://qt-project.org&
>>> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
>>>

>>> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
>>> these tracks:
>>>
>>> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
>>> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>>>
>>> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>>>

>>> What do you think?
>>>

>> I think it is a fantastic idea. I second Timo's suggestion that it be much
>> like
>> the previous seeding.
>>
>> Keep the great ideas coming Quim!

> EXCELLENT NEWS !
>
> Of course, it s should take care of previous distributed devices to not
> distribute a second one to the same people.
>
> A n950 user :)

I was just about to give away my n950 to a worthy developer :-p :-p

--
anidel

erik at hovland

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

>> EXCELLENT NEWS !
>>
>> Of course, it s should take care of previous distributed devices to not
>> distribute a second one to the same people.
>>
>> A n950 user :)
>>

> I was just about to give away my n950 to a worthy developer :-p :-p

Don't let a few hundred N9s and a couple N950s change your mind.
Worthiness will far outstrip supply!

Erik Hovland
erik [at] hovland
http://hovland.org/

tim at samoff

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi,

In playing Devil's Advocate, though...

What will this actually do for Maemo or Meego or Meego Harmattan or
Nokia...?

I think it's an amazing gesture that will most likely spawn a number of
community efforts (which is a good thing), but what's the ultimate point
of the offering?

Will Nokia see a bunch of impassioned developers and change their
decisions about the future of Meego Harmattan?

I understand the impetus to get people developing with Qt5, etc., but
will these devices actually do that? Or, will they just get people to
stick with the Meego Harmattan platform and not think of the future?

Qt5+ is, of course, the goal of something like this -- and it helps that
it's cross-platform -- but what are your device recipients actually
going to do with their devices? Will they really go whole hog into Qt
development?

Remember, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here... Personally, I really like
the idea -- as ideas like this have always reinvigorated the community.
But, is it something that will benefit our community in the long-run?

Here's what I would like to see come from something like this:

A certain (large) percentage of community developers become really good
Qt developers and stop harping on what Maemo/Meego is/was. If this
doesn't happen, then I think that the offering should be considered a
failure.

We don't need more people putting effort into prolonging Maemo/Meego. We
need people who are willing to put time and effort into forging a future
for the community, be it linux mobile, or something else.

Yes, I've been ranting a lot lately -- apologies. It's been quite a
strange experience to see the Maemo community going through what it's
going through right now... Déjà vu. What I'd really like to see is a new
direction with new prospects and new community members.

Something like what Quim is suggesting could help. But, it could also
hinder.

Br,
Tim

--
http://samoff.com

Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org
> centered device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines
> of work where the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
>
> - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>
> - Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting
> familiar and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback
> to the developers at http://qt-project.org &
> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
>

> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
> these tracks:
>
> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>
> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>

> What do you think?
>
> Ideally Nokia would provide to the community an amount of devices and
> the infrastructure to deliver them for free to the fortunate developers,
> using the http://developer.nokia.com infrastructure. The criteria and
> selection of recipients could be done by the community itself, and I
> could help wherever needed.
>
> If you like the idea we can proceed. A good goal would be to have the
> recipients defined by the end of May, so we can have all the shipments
> during the first days of June. The closest we get to July the easier
> will be to get hit by Summer holidays delays.
>
> (*) I can't 100% confirm a number today but let's say 100 N9s and
> (surprise surprise) the last batch of sealed N950s I know about (just a
> few units).
>
> --
> Quim

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

19. huhtikuuta 2012 21.53 Tim Samoff <tim [at] samoff> kirjoitti:

> Hi,
>
> In playing Devil's Advocate, though...
>
> What will this actually do for Maemo or Meego or Meego Harmattan or
> Nokia...?

As I understood it prepares for the future in addition to letting people
learn and work on the current things.

> I think it's an amazing gesture that will most likely spawn a number of
> community efforts (which is a good thing), but what's the ultimate point
> of the offering?
>
> Will Nokia see a bunch of impassioned developers and change their
> decisions about the future of Meego Harmattan?
>
> I understand the impetus to get people developing with Qt5, etc., but
> will these devices actually do that? Or, will they just get people to
> stick with the Meego Harmattan platform and not think of the future?
>
> Qt5+ is, of course, the goal of something like this -- and it helps that
> it's cross-platform -- but what are your device recipients actually
> going to do with their devices? Will they really go whole hog into Qt
> development?

yep. at least I see Qt as one of the main things with this. (disclaimer: I
see Qt everywhere :) )

> Remember, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here... Personally, I really like
> the idea -- as ideas like this have always reinvigorated the community.
> But, is it something that will benefit our community in the long-run?

dunno about the long run but helps to get something else than whining going
on in the community (not saying you are a whiner or claiming that everyone
is a whiner - there just seems to be a lot of it in the air around here).
As I see it this gives people within the community possibilities and as a
side product the larger community might benefit from it.

> Here's what I would like to see come from something like this:
>
> A certain (large) percentage of community developers become really good
> Qt developers and stop harping on what Maemo/Meego is/was. If this
> doesn't happen, then I think that the offering should be considered a
> failure.

+1

> We don't need more people putting effort into prolonging Maemo/Meego. We
> need people who are willing to put time and effort into forging a future
> for the community, be it linux mobile, or something else.

+1 but I don't see the harm of letting people work on the older stuff if
it's plausible and they feel it's worth their time and effort. I'm sure
we'll see comments that this is wrong and all the community efforts should
go into n900 related things, etc.

> Yes, I've been ranting a lot lately -- apologies. It's been quite a
> strange experience to see the Maemo community going through what it's
> going through right now... Déjà vu. What I'd really like to see is a new
> direction with new prospects and new community members.

No need for an apology. At least I like seeing comments like this. They are
the ones that really make you think and assert your own views on a subject.

BR,

Timo

> Something like what Quim is suggesting could help. But, it could also
> hinder.
>
> Br,
> Tim
>
> --
> http://samoff.com
>

> Quim Gil wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org
> > centered device seeding activity. I could get them as part of two lines
> > of work where the maemo.org community might want to play a role:
> >
> > - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
> > Store. There is a source of inspiration at
> > http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
> > http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
> >
> > - Encouraging developers to port & develop apps to Qt 5, getting
> > familiar and ready for the next big Qt iteration and providing feedback
> > to the developers at http://qt-project.org &
> > http://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_5_on_Nokia_N9
> >

> > If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
> > these tracks:
> >
> > - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
> > apps.formeego.org / etc.
> >
> > - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
> >

> > What do you think?
> >
> > Ideally Nokia would provide to the community an amount of devices and
> > the infrastructure to deliver them for free to the fortunate developers,
> > using the http://developer.nokia.com infrastructure. The criteria and
> > selection of recipients could be done by the community itself, and I
> > could help wherever needed.
> >
> > If you like the idea we can proceed. A good goal would be to have the
> > recipients defined by the end of May, so we can have all the shipments
> > during the first days of June. The closest we get to July the easier
> > will be to get hit by Summer holidays delays.
> >
> > (*) I can't 100% confirm a number today but let's say 100 N9s and
> > (surprise surprise) the last batch of sealed N950s I know about (just a
> > few units).
> >
> > --
> > Quim

quim.gil at nokia

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On 04/19/2012 11:53 AM, ext Tim Samoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In playing Devil's Advocate, though...

Fair enough. :) Let's see.

> What will this actually do for Maemo or Meego or Meego Harmattan or
> Nokia...?
>
> I think it's an amazing gesture that will most likely spawn a number of
> community efforts (which is a good thing), but what's the ultimate point
> of the offering?

The two points stated in my first email? More and better Qt 4 mobile
apps and a first wave of mobile developers trying to compile their apps
to Qt 5 and see what happens. More apps for current Qt 5 users and
better quality for the Qt 5 libraries.

Honestly, why is it bad to have ad-hoc action driven by a couple of
tangible short term goals, executed in a couple of months? Followed by a
review after the Summer to see what people actually did and how useful
the activity actually was.

> Will Nokia see a bunch of impassioned developers and change their
> decisions about the future of Meego Harmattan?

Do we need to turn every community activity in a tech blog post
discussion? :) A N9 device seeding program can focus on the N9 users
out there using the SDK and the store(s) for the N9.

If someone wants to play wider there are other Qt friendly platforms
around. If someone want to play further there is bleeding edge Qt 5.

If someone wants to simply argue or rant about then s/he is free not
joining the program and put the energies in some TMO threads, elsewhere
or nowhere.

The alternative is not doing this program - which I have exposed in my
first mail.

> I understand the impetus to get people developing with Qt5, etc., but
> will these devices actually do that? Or, will they just get people to
> stick with the Meego Harmattan platform and not think of the future?

The little I have learned about software development is that it is one
of the best activities to think about the future. :)

Honestly, if you want to be fit for Qt 5 the best you can do is to be
fit for Qt 4 mobile (Qt Quick / Qt WebKit).

> Qt5+ is, of course, the goal of something like this -- and it helps that
> it's cross-platform -- but what are your device recipients actually
> going to do with their devices? Will they really go whole hog into Qt
> development?

I hope so. This is not a discount shop.

> Remember, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here... Personally, I really like
> the idea -- as ideas like this have always reinvigorated the community.
> But, is it something that will benefit our community in the long-run?

We are getting philosophical here, but my take in long term strategy is
that a succession of short term successes should lead to a long term
success. There must be other ways but I'd rather have fun with this
approach. Anyway, this is an open community so probably the only real
strategic approach.

> Here's what I would like to see come from something like this:
>
> A certain (large) percentage of community developers become really good
> Qt developers and stop harping on what Maemo/Meego is/was. If this
> doesn't happen, then I think that the offering should be considered a
> failure.

"Now you're talking!" - said the Qt Project guy.

> We don't need more people putting effort into prolonging Maemo/Meego. We
> need people who are willing to put time and effort into forging a future
> for the community, be it linux mobile, or something else.

A future... and a present!

> Yes, I've been ranting a lot lately -- apologies. It's been quite a
> strange experience to see the Maemo community going through what it's
> going through right now... Déjà vu. What I'd really like to see is a new
> direction with new prospects and new community members.
>
> Something like what Quim is suggesting could help. But, it could also
> hinder.

PS: that was my dose of debating with devil's advocates - and only
because I owe a beer or two to Tim. There are many re-run rants that can
come in relation to this program but I'm not planning to engage in any
of those - unless it is a new argument worth addressing. That is why I
started asking whether you want this program or not. If you want it then
it's your program. Nokia will fund the devices and their distribution.

--
Quim

quim.gil at nokia

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

TO EVERYBODY SENDING ME PRIVATE EMAILS ASKING FOR A DEVICE:

Don't do it. I have answered the first 3 (pointing them to this thread)
and I will delete the rest.

You can wait or contribute to the current discussion and you can apply
whenever there is a process to do it.

If you are good in Qt development you can also try via
http://qt.nokia.com/qt-in-use/ambassadors/qtambassador/ , a program that
doesn't have contests or deadlines and has already a form to apply.

On 04/19/2012 11:31 AM, ext Benoît HERVIER wrote:

> Of course, it s should take care of previous distributed devices to not
> distribute a second one to the same people.

Ultimately the distribution of devices will be done using the same
backend used for the N950 device program. Still someone could trick it,
I'm sure, but really exposing him/herself to a negative and a lot of
public shame.

In fact I was thinking of pinging those who got an N950 last Summer,
asking them for the links to their apps. And in fact this time we should
organize an informal review after the Summer to see what apps and other
results we have got thank to this activity. This will help new seeding
programs like this one, and will help those developers actually
delivering on their own plans.

--
Quim

maemo at javispedro

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:32:24 -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
> - Encouraging developers bringing stable & interesting apps to the Nokia
> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333

Any reason you are specifically mentioning Nokia Store? I am not a fan of
promoting apps.formeego.org everywhere, but I am even less of a fan of
making new devs think that the Nokia Store should be the destination for
all things.

(Among other things, how are Qt5 apps going to enter the Nokia Store?)

I understand that there might be a reasoning behind it (e.g. Nokia
Developer pays :) ). But if there is no such reasoning I suggest dropping
the requirement.

Other than this nitpicking, the idea is of course welcomed and will
certainly bring new people with renewed interest.

Javier.

quim.gil at nokia

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On 04/19/2012 02:32 PM, ext Javier S. Pedro wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:32:24 -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
>> - Encouraging developers bringing stable& interesting apps to the Nokia
>> Store. There is a source of inspiration at
>> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing
>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83333
>
> Any reason you are specifically mentioning Nokia Store? I am not a fan of
> promoting apps.formeego.org everywhere, but I am even less of a fan of
> making new devs think that the Nokia Store should be the destination for
> all things.

I was talking about the motivation of Nokia. While I won't try to
convince *you* about publishing at the Nokia Store, I remember that the
problems for individuals publishing in Ovi was a topic that generated A
LOT of heated discussions. Nowadays those problems are solved, why not
use that infrastructure?

Then you have the apps that are more experimental, rely on Developer
Mode, etc. Fine, those are welcome too in this program - and clearly not
in the Nokia Store.

This is not stopping anybody for using apps.formeego.org as well. As a
side note, this is just the peak of a strategic discussion about the
role of community / unofficial stores in the times when publishing imn
official stores is simple and practical. Something for another thread.

> (Among other things, how are Qt5 apps going to enter the Nokia Store?)

Precisely.

> I understand that there might be a reasoning behind it (e.g. Nokia
> Developer pays :) ). But if there is no such reasoning I suggest dropping
> the requirement.

Ok to not make it a requirement, but why not making it a recommendation
for anybody with a stable app installable without developer mode? If we
care about N9 users this is the best way to reach all of them.

> Other than this nitpicking, the idea is of course welcomed and will
> certainly bring new people with renewed interest.

--
Quim

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org centered
> device seeding activity.
>
> What do you think?
>
> We'll use them at least for this year's Coding Competition. I hope you
remember this activity. We already started thinking about including Qt in
the competition this year. Please review the last few pages of this
thread<http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561>

Rob

maemo at javispedro

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:54:35 -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
> I was talking about the motivation of Nokia. While I won't try to
> convince *you* about publishing at the Nokia Store, I remember that the
> problems for individuals publishing in Ovi was a topic that generated A
> LOT of heated discussions. Nowadays those problems are solved, why not
> use that infrastructure?
>
> Then you have the apps that are more experimental, rely on Developer
> Mode, etc. Fine, those are welcome too in this program - and clearly not
> in the Nokia Store.

I was not thinking about experimental applications -- mostly because QA
on AFM is IMHO stricter than QA on the Nokia Store! It is thus not a
place for unstable applications, or applications that require developer
mode*.

On the other hand and for obvious reasons, AFM does encourage open source
applications. I was not sure whether the goal was to promote more
development of open source applications or alternatively a continuation
of the Launchpad program -- where AIUI the more apps the better and it
does not matter if they are commercial or anything else. From your
remarks, I believe that at least your proposed item 1 is more akin to the
latter.

In that case, I have nothing to add.

* (Off-topic remark: Applications that require developer mode will
actually work without it when published to either Nokia Store or AFM.
It's what is not in developer mode that is a "problem". But don't worry,
I already have a device ;P )

> This is not stopping anybody for using apps.formeego.org as well. As a
> side note, this is just the peak of a strategic discussion about the
> role of community / unofficial stores in the times when publishing imn
> official stores is simple and practical. Something for another thread.

Agreed.

> Ok to not make it a requirement, but why not making it a recommendation
> for anybody with a stable app installable without developer mode? If we
> care about N9 users this is the best way to reach all of them.

Not making it a requirement is completely fine by me. Just would like to
ensure that open source applications do not have to either go through
whatever content policies the Nokia Store has these days OR otherwise be
related somehow to Qt5. Removing the requirement adds the IMO necessary
third option.

Thinking loudly, even distributing via a thread on TMO would be a nice
option, if someone was to value communication between community and
developer more than mass distribution.

Javier.

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Tim Samoff <tim [at] samoff> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In playing Devil's Advocate, though...
>
> What will this actually do for Maemo or Meego or Meego Harmattan or
> Nokia...?
>
> I think it's an amazing gesture that will most likely spawn a number of
> community efforts (which is a good thing), but what's the ultimate point
> of the offering?
>
> Will Nokia see a bunch of impassioned developers and change their
> decisions about the future of Meego Harmattan?
>
> I understand the impetus to get people developing with Qt5, etc., but
> will these devices actually do that? Or, will they just get people to
> stick with the Meego Harmattan platform and not think of the future?
>
> Qt5+ is, of course, the goal of something like this -- and it helps that
> it's cross-platform -- but what are your device recipients actually
> going to do with their devices? Will they really go whole hog into Qt
> development?
>
> Remember, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here... Personally, I really like
> the idea -- as ideas like this have always reinvigorated the community.
> But, is it something that will benefit our community in the long-run?
>
> Here's what I would like to see come from something like this:
>
> A certain (large) percentage of community developers become really good
> Qt developers and stop harping on what Maemo/Meego is/was. If this
> doesn't happen, then I think that the offering should be considered a
> failure.
>
> We don't need more people putting effort into prolonging Maemo/Meego. We
> need people who are willing to put time and effort into forging a future
> for the community, be it linux mobile, or something else.
>
> Yes, I've been ranting a lot lately -- apologies. It's been quite a
> strange experience to see the Maemo community going through what it's
> going through right now... Déjà vu. What I'd really like to see is a new
> direction with new prospects and new community members.
>
> Something like what Quim is suggesting could help. But, it could also
> hinder.
>
> Br,
> Tim

Thank you for your comments. No need to apologize. It's always good to
remember the long term and to contemplate the future. I do that a lot
lately, or more specifically, ponder how to build a bridge to that future
from where we are today. Which is better than last year, when I was simply
pondering how to prevent stagnancy. For every community project, I try to
think as you have mentioned, how does this bring us closer to where we want
to be?

I have posted before implying that free device giveaways can be a
distraction not in keeping with an open source community. And this
proposal does feel a bit like the same old thing being repeated. And
harmattan has in the past seemed like something that was not a path to the
future. But at the same time, denying the present doesn't bring us a new
future. Fact is we don't currently have a mission statement that states
the future we want. So how can this be inconsistent with the as yet
undefined future. It seems like we are in the process of moving to a
community OBS which will integrate harmattan and fremantle and reading all
of Quim's comments in this thread, the proposal does not seem to have a lot
of strings attached. So while I'm now just thinking, I suspect we will
accept it with appreciation for Nokia's goodwill. Remember this offer
could have been made to Qt project or some other place.

p.s. javispedro - thank you also for the good points you have made re app
distribution

Br,
Rob

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

20. huhtikuuta 2012 2.14 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail> kirjoitti:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.orgcentered device seeding activity.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> We'll use them at least for this year's Coding Competition. I hope you
> remember this activity. We already started thinking about including Qt in
> the competition this year. Please review the last few pages of this
> thread <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561>

I'm just left pondering what this device seeding program has to do with the
competition? Especially if the intention is to get the devices in the hands
of developers before the summer vacation period?

and for the record I'm not going to apply for a device since I already got
those from elsewhere. But I am interested in seeing them landing in cabable
hands.

Also I'd explicitly add open source development as a requirement for
getting one.

BR

Timo

anidel at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 19:53, Erik Hovland <erik [at] hovland> wrote:
>>> EXCELLENT NEWS !
>>>
>>> Of course, it s should take care of previous distributed devices to not
>>> distribute a second one to the same people.
>>>
>>> A n950 user :)
>>>

>> I was just about to give away my n950 to a worthy developer :-p :-p
>
> Don't let a few hundred N9s and a couple N950s change your mind.
> Worthiness will far outstrip supply!

:-)
I will swap it for a Pureview 808 :D

Kidding. Perhaps :p

--
anidel

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi
>
> 20. huhtikuuta 2012 2.14 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail> kirjoitti:
>

>> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.orgcentered device seeding activity.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> We'll use them at least for this year's Coding Competition. I hope you
>> remember this activity. We already started thinking about including Qt in
>> the competition this year. Please review the last few pages of this
>> thread <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561>
>>

> I'm just left pondering what this device seeding program has to do with
> the competition? Especially if the intention is to get the devices in the
> hands of developers before the summer vacation period?
>
> and for the record I'm not going to apply for a device since I already got
> those from elsewhere. But I am interested in seeing them landing in cabable
> hands.
>
> Also I'd explicitly add open source development as a requirement for
> getting one.

Last year, N9s were given out as prizes to the winning app developers.
There was some uncertainty where we would source those this year and so now
we have a source. I don't know that there is anything special about when
the devices are given out, but yes the summer is a prime period for
activity. It's been noted that people don't always use the device for the
community as promised and so the competition has the advantage that it
really does push apps. Also, I wonder if there are more devices available
than we need for the competition so we can simply reserve some devices for
the competition.

I agree with open source requirement, actually I had assumed it would be
one of council's criteria for selecting anyway.

Rob

zehjotkah at googlemail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Who will organise this years coding competition?

--

Von meinem Nokia N950 gesendet

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Don't think I forgot you said you might be too busy ;-).

But I did say I would ask again (no pressure). If you can't do it again,
we'll find one or two persons to step in. And seriously, if you think it
can't be done without you, let's discuss that thoroughly. Anything worth
doing is worth doing well.

Rob

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Cosimo Kroll <zehjotkah [at] googlemail>wrote:

> Who will organise this years coding competition?
>
> --
>
> Von meinem Nokia N950 gesendet
>
> robert bauer schrieb am 20.04.12 14:02:
>

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> 20. huhtikuuta 2012 2.14 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail> kirjoitti:

>>> remember this activity. We already started thinking about including Qt in
>>> the competition this year. Please review the last few pages of this
>>> thread <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561>
>>>

>> I'm just left pondering what this device seeding program has to do with
>> the competition? Especially if the intention is to get the devices in the
>> hands of developers before the summer vacation period?
>>
>> and for the record I'm not going to apply for a device since I already
>> got those from elsewhere. But I am interested in seeing them landing in
>> cabable hands.
>>
>> Also I'd explicitly add open source development as a requirement for
>> getting one.
>>

> Last year, N9s were given out as prizes to the winning app developers.
> There was some uncertainty where we would source those this year and so now
> we have a source. I don't know that there is anything special about when
> the devices are given out, but yes the summer is a prime period for
> activity. It's been noted that people don't always use the device for the
> community as promised and so the competition has the advantage that it
> really does push apps. Also, I wonder if there are more devices available
> than we need for the competition so we can simply reserve some devices for
> the competition.
>
> I agree with open source requirement, actually I had assumed it would be
> one of council's criteria for selecting anyway.
>
> Rob

zehjotkah at googlemail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Oh no, it can be perfectly done without me. :)

I'm just curious if there's already one who would like to do it...

--

robert bauer schrieb am 20.04.12 14:24:
Don't think I forgot you said you might be too busy ;-).

But I did say I would ask again (no pressure). If you can't do it again,
we'll find one or two persons to step in. And seriously, if you think it
can't be done without you, let's discuss that thoroughly. Anything worth
doing is worth doing well.

Rob

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Cosimo Kroll <zehjotkah [at] googlemail>wrote:

> Who will organise this years coding competition?
>
> --
>
> Von meinem Nokia N950 gesendet
>
> robert bauer schrieb am 20.04.12 14:02:
>

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> 20. huhtikuuta 2012 2.14 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail> kirjoitti:

>>> remember this activity. We already started thinking about including Qt in
>>> the competition this year. Please review the last few pages of this
>>> thread <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71561>
>>>

>> I'm just left pondering what this device seeding program has to do with
>> the competition? Especially if the intention is to get the devices in the
>> hands of developers before the summer vacation period?
>>
>> and for the record I'm not going to apply for a device since I already
>> got those from elsewhere. But I am interested in seeing them landing in
>> cabable hands.
>>
>> Also I'd explicitly add open source development as a requirement for
>> getting one.
>>

> Last year, N9s were given out as prizes to the winning app developers.
> There was some uncertainty where we would source those this year and so now
> we have a source. I don't know that there is anything special about when
> the devices are given out, but yes the summer is a prime period for
> activity. It's been noted that people don't always use the device for the
> community as promised and so the competition has the advantage that it
> really does push apps. Also, I wonder if there are more devices available
> than we need for the competition so we can simply reserve some devices for
> the competition.
>
> I agree with open source requirement, actually I had assumed it would be
> one of council's criteria for selecting anyway.
>
> Rob

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Well, probably not "perfectly" How many N9s do you think we should set
aside as prizes? Please let us know if you have a recommendation for who
should do it this year.

Rob

zehjotkah at googlemail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Last time we had 9 N9s, and 9 or 10 N900s. Plus some Intel MeeGo devices
which weren't announced as prizes and went to developers who already were
able to show something.

--

robert bauer schrieb am 20.04.12 15:07:
Well, probably not "perfectly" How many N9s do you think we should set
aside as prizes? Please let us know if you have a recommendation for who
should do it this year.

Rob

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Cosimo Kroll <zehjotkah [at] googlemail>wrote:

> Oh no, it can be perfectly done without me. :)
>
> I'm just curious if there's already one who would like to do it...
>
> --
>
> Von meinem Nokia N950 gesendet
>
> robert bauer schrieb am 20.04.12 14:24:
> Don't think I forgot you said you might be too busy ;-).
>
> But I did say I would ask again (no pressure). If you can't do it again,
> we'll find one or two persons to step in. And seriously, if you think it
> can't be done without you, let's discuss that thoroughly. Anything worth
> doing is worth doing well.
>
> Rob
>
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Cosimo Kroll <zehjotkah [at] googlemail>wrote:
>
>> Who will organise this years coding competition?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Von meinem Nokia N950 gesendet
>>
>> robert bauer schrieb am 20.04.12 14:02:
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> I'm just left pondering what this device seeding program has to do with
>>> the competition? Especially if the intention is to get the devices in the
>>> hands of developers before the summer vacation period?
>>>
>>> and for the record I'm not going to apply for a device since I already
>>> got those from elsewhere. But I am interested in seeing them landing in
>>> cabable hands.
>>>
>>> Also I'd explicitly add open source development as a requirement for
>>> getting one.
>>>

>> Last year, N9s were given out as prizes to the winning app developers.
>> There was some uncertainty where we would source those this year and so now
>> we have a source. I don't know that there is anything special about when
>> the devices are given out, but yes the summer is a prime period for
>> activity. It's been noted that people don't always use the device for the
>> community as promised and so the competition has the advantage that it
>> really does push apps. Also, I wonder if there are more devices available
>> than we need for the competition so we can simply reserve some devices for
>> the competition.
>>
>> I agree with open source requirement, actually I had assumed it would be
>> one of council's criteria for selecting anyway.
>>
>> Rob

zehjotkah at googlemail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Haha, maybe we could use the N950 for the coding competition!

There would be lots and lots of submissions... ;)

I mean huuuuge amounts of submissions... Last chance to get a N950..

:P

--

quim.gil at nokia

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Maybe the simplest approach is to organize different activities and
agree on an amount devices to allocate for each.

Instead of discussing THE criteria for allocating all those devices we
could agree who organizes what and how many devices that activity is
requesting.

Also because it feels that it's not easy to pull resources for a full
fledged seeding program. That takes a serious amount if time and energy,
I can tell.

We could have:

- Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
getting an N9 instead.

- Publish your OSS app at Nokia Store. The goal being to channel to all
N9 users the good stuff that now lies elsewhere.

- Your app in Qt 5. Show your Qt 4 app and your plan to demo it running
in Qt 5 on N9.

- Prizes for great maemo.org contributors in any areas: betatesting,
infrastructure, forum/IRC support and engagement, promotion...

Anything else?

I could help directly on Nokia Store & Qt 5 since these tasks are
closely related to my work and the reasons why I'm able to offer these
devices. Who would want to step in for any of these tasks?

The competition and the prizes for contributors are defined by
categories, therefore it would be relatively easy to calculate the
amount of devices needed. Then we could split the rest for the remaining
activities.

What do you think?

--
Quim

tim at samoff

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Quim Gil wrote:
<snip>

> What do you think?
>
> --
> Quim

This makes a LOT more sense. ;)

Tim

--
http://samoff.com

g+770 at cobb

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Friday 20 April 2012 16:49:41 Quim Gil wrote:
> - Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
> there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
> getting an N9 instead.

If N950's are going as prizes I suspect several old-time developers may be
tempted back...

Now, I wonder how I could put a Qt skin on GPE... (that's a joke by the way --
the G is a bit of a give-way!).

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

20. huhtikuuta 2012 18.49 Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> kirjoitti:

> Maybe the simplest approach is to organize different activities and agree
> on an amount devices to allocate for each.
>
> Instead of discussing THE criteria for allocating all those devices we
> could agree who organizes what and how many devices that activity is
> requesting.
>
> Also because it feels that it's not easy to pull resources for a full
> fledged seeding program. That takes a serious amount if time and energy, I
> can tell.
>
> We could have:
>
> - Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
> there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
> getting an N9 instead.

was just about to propose this :) since the n950s are a prize worth putting
some effort into and thus should give the competition a good boost

> - Publish your OSS app at Nokia Store. The goal being to channel to all N9
> users the good stuff that now lies elsewhere.
>
> - Your app in Qt 5. Show your Qt 4 app and your plan to demo it running in
> Qt 5 on N9.
>
> - Prizes for great maemo.org contributors in any areas: betatesting,
> infrastructure, forum/IRC support and engagement, promotion...
>
> Anything else?
>

> I could help directly on Nokia Store & Qt 5 since these tasks are closely
> related to my work and the reasons why I'm able to offer these devices. Who
> would want to step in for any of these tasks?
>
> The competition and the prizes for contributors are defined by categories,
> therefore it would be relatively easy to calculate the amount of devices
> needed. Then we could split the rest for the remaining activities.
>
> What do you think?

sounds good

-Timo

> --
> Quim

arie at everythingn9

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

I agree with your Idea fully Quim.
Arie

--

Sent from my Nokia N9

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Graham Cobb <g+770 [at] cobb> wrote:
> On Friday 20 April 2012 16:49:41 Quim Gil wrote:
>> - Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
>> there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
>> getting an N9 instead.
>
> If N950's are going as prizes I suspect several old-time developers may be
> tempted back...

Here, here.

> Now, I wonder how I could put a Qt skin on GPE... (that's a joke by the way --
> the G is a bit of a give-way!).

Now you've let them into your secret plan. C'monGraham!

Erik Hovland
erik [at] hovland
http://hovland.org/

erik at hovland

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

> What do you think?

Good ideas all around.

Erik Hovland
erik [at] hovland
http://hovland.org/

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:

> Maybe the simplest approach is to organize different activities and agree
> on an amount devices to allocate for each.
>
> Instead of discussing THE criteria for allocating all those devices we
> could agree who organizes what and how many devices that activity is
> requesting.
>
> Also because it feels that it's not easy to pull resources for a full
> fledged seeding program. That takes a serious amount if time and energy, I
> can tell.
>
> We could have:
>
> - Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
> there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
> getting an N9 instead.
>
> - Publish your OSS app at Nokia Store. The goal being to channel to all N9
> users the good stuff that now lies elsewhere.
>
> - Your app in Qt 5. Show your Qt 4 app and your plan to demo it running in
> Qt 5 on N9.
>
> - Prizes for great maemo.org contributors in any areas: betatesting,
> infrastructure, forum/IRC support and engagement, promotion...
>
> Anything else?
>

> I could help directly on Nokia Store & Qt 5 since these tasks are closely
> related to my work and the reasons why I'm able to offer these devices. Who
> would want to step in for any of these tasks?
>
> The competition and the prizes for contributors are defined by categories,
> therefore it would be relatively easy to calculate the amount of devices
> needed. Then we could split the rest for the remaining activities.
>
> What do you think?

OK, but I'd like to keep "Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the
evolution of COBS" as one of the activities.

I'd like to know if the timeline can be relaxed a bit, and also the number
of devices. The Competition has a clear process (although it could be
tweaked), and maemo.org can handle prizes for contributors. I'm not sure
how Nokia Store & Qt5 would work, but what help would you want from
maemo.org community for those - just to promote?

Rob

roberto.colistete at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

To boost porting & releasing softwares for MeeGo Harmattan : Nokia
Store & Apps ForMeeGo should be only a recommendation as they can't
accept softwares with external dependencies like Maemo.org
repositories.

Even a .deb posted in a specific Talk Maemo.org topic should be enough
because it is simple to install.

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

21. huhtikuuta 2012 20.24 Roberto Colistete Jr. <roberto.colistete [at] gmail
> kirjoitti:

> To boost porting & releasing softwares for MeeGo Harmattan : Nokia
> Store & Apps ForMeeGo should be only a recommendation as they can't
> accept softwares with external dependencies like Maemo.org
> repositories.

I don't see anyone saying that's the only way to go. If someone has needs
for a device to do an open source application with a purpose of publishing
it through the store I would see that as valid reason to ask for a device
given that there's enough reason to believe it will actually happen. Same
should apply for any other reason for requesting a device. platform
hacking, QA, application development, porting Qt5 or whatever.

afaik the external dependency thing in apps.formeego is only a policy issue
not a technical thing. So not really an issue just something that needs to
be discussed. Actually what is the proper place to discuss things like
apps.formeego policy? As I've understood it the goal now is to unify things
with it and maemo.org by introducing maemo targets to obs. I'd think this
list would be it.

/me waves at apps.formeego.org guys

> Even a .deb posted in a specific Talk Maemo.org topic should be enough
> because it is simple to install.

IMHO not even close enough. We have repositories and build machinery for a
reason. things like ensuring clean build environment, making sure the
needed dependencies are there and so on. Besides most of the deb drops in
tmo I have seen do not even include a link to the sources so again no. We
should be encouraging people to use the proper channels to distribute their
stuff (be it the store, apps.formeego or maemo.org repos) not posting links
to binary deb packages in tmo.

-Timo

roberto.colistete at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On 4/21/12, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 21. huhtikuuta 2012 20.24 Roberto Colistete Jr. <roberto.colistete [at] gmail
>> kirjoitti:
>
>> To boost porting & releasing softwares for MeeGo Harmattan : Nokia
>> Store & Apps ForMeeGo should be only a recommendation as they can't
>> accept softwares with external dependencies like Maemo.org
>> repositories.
>>

> I don't see anyone saying that's the only way to go. If someone has needs
> for a device to do an open source application with a purpose of publishing
> it through the store I would see that as valid reason to ask for a device
> given that there's enough reason to believe it will actually happen. Same
> should apply for any other reason for requesting a device. platform
> hacking, QA, application development, porting Qt5 or whatever.
>
> afaik the external dependency thing in apps.formeego is only a policy issue
> not a technical thing. So not really an issue just something that needs to
> be discussed. Actually what is the proper place to discuss things like
> apps.formeego policy? As I've understood it the goal now is to unify things
> with it and maemo.org by introducing maemo targets to obs. I'd think this
> list would be it.

AFAIK, the external dependency limitation in Apps ForMeeGo is technical.

For example, I've packaged MatPlotLib (a well know FOSS Python
library) and it is in a Talk Maemo.org
(http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80353) because it can't be
published in Nokia Store / Apps ForMeeGo (because it needs external
dependencies / multiple .debs).

Many other FOSS projects which can be ported to MeeGo Harmattan
fall in the same limitation. Maemo 4/5 OS has Maemo.org repositories
with dependencies capabilities.

>> Even a .deb posted in a specific Talk Maemo.org topic should be enough
>> because it is simple to install.
>>

> IMHO not even close enough. We have repositories and build machinery for a
> reason. things like ensuring clean build environment, making sure the
> needed dependencies are there and so on. Besides most of the deb drops in
> tmo I have seen do not even include a link to the sources so again no. We
> should be encouraging people to use the proper channels to distribute their
> stuff (be it the store, apps.formeego or maemo.org repos) not posting links
> to binary deb packages in tmo.

Better : even a Talk Maemo.org topic (or link to other site) with
links to source-code and .deb's. Ok ? Nobody is lazy here, like
Inception, overclocking, etc projects.

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

21. huhtikuuta 2012 23.44 Roberto Colistete Jr. <roberto.colistete [at] gmail
> kirjoitti:

> On 4/21/12, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > 21. huhtikuuta 2012 20.24 Roberto Colistete Jr. <
> roberto.colistete [at] gmail
> >> kirjoitti:
> >
> >> To boost porting & releasing softwares for MeeGo Harmattan : Nokia
> >> Store & Apps ForMeeGo should be only a recommendation as they can't
> >> accept softwares with external dependencies like Maemo.org
> >> repositories.
> >>

> > I don't see anyone saying that's the only way to go. If someone has needs
> > for a device to do an open source application with a purpose of
> publishing
> > it through the store I would see that as valid reason to ask for a device
> > given that there's enough reason to believe it will actually happen. Same
> > should apply for any other reason for requesting a device. platform
> > hacking, QA, application development, porting Qt5 or whatever.
> >
> > afaik the external dependency thing in apps.formeego is only a policy
> issue
> > not a technical thing. So not really an issue just something that needs
> > be discussed. Actually what is the proper place to discuss things like
> > apps.formeego policy? As I've understood it the goal now is to unify
> things
> > with it and maemo.org by introducing maemo targets to obs. I'd think
> this
> > list would be it.
>
> AFAIK, the external dependency limitation in Apps ForMeeGo is
> technical.

according to Niels (X-Fade) it is policy. see
http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-meeting-irclog/%23maemo-meeting.2012-04-17.log.html#t2012-04-17T18:28:01

-Timo

> For example, I've packaged MatPlotLib (a well know FOSS Python
> library) and it is in a Talk Maemo.org
> (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80353) because it can't be
> published in Nokia Store / Apps ForMeeGo (because it needs external
> dependencies / multiple .debs).
>
> Many other FOSS projects which can be ported to MeeGo Harmattan
> fall in the same limitation. Maemo 4/5 OS has Maemo.org repositories
> with dependencies capabilities.
>
> >> Even a .deb posted in a specific Talk Maemo.org topic should be enough
> >> because it is simple to install.
> >>

> > IMHO not even close enough. We have repositories and build machinery for
> > reason. things like ensuring clean build environment, making sure the
> > needed dependencies are there and so on. Besides most of the deb drops in
> > tmo I have seen do not even include a link to the sources so again no. We
> > should be encouraging people to use the proper channels to distribute
> their
> > stuff (be it the store, apps.formeego or maemo.org repos) not posting
> links
> > to binary deb packages in tmo.
>
> Better : even a Talk Maemo.org topic (or link to other site) with
> links to source-code and .deb's. Ok ? Nobody is lazy here, like
> Inception, overclocking, etc projects.

jeremiah at jeremiahfoster

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:32:24AM -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's say we could have a nice amount of N9s (*) for a maemo.org
> centered device seeding activity.

[snip]

> What do you think?

This is a great idea. I think it can be validated as a great idea
merely by looking at the response on this mailing list. This list
was quiet, now it is alive with interested developers working to
make Maemo better. I hope the plans go forward.

Regards,

Jeremiah

arie at everythingn9

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1197216&postcount=14
In regards to that post, I support all of the measures but we should also offer an option for beta testers of Harmattan apps to get an N950 too.

--

Arie

www.everythingn9.com

@everythingN9 on twitter
Sent from my Nokia N9

On 4/21/12 1:24 PM Roberto Colistete Jr. wrote:

To boost porting & releasing softwares for MeeGo Harmattan : Nokia
Store & Apps ForMeeGo should be only a recommendation as they can't
accept softwares with external dependencies like Maemo.org
repositories.

Even a .deb posted in a specific Talk Maemo.org topic should be enough
because it is simple to install.

vern at riseup

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi
> If N950's are going as prizes I suspect several old-time developers may be
> tempted back...

quietly raises hand :)

--
http://ianlawrence.info

quim.gil at nokia

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

So...

- How many devices do you need for the competition? Who coordinates?

- How many for the community awards? Who coordinates?

You can assign the devices as you wish and when you wish, but knowing
now how many you need would allow us to organize the other activities
properly.

--
Quim

arie at everythingn9

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

For the competition we should have 5 devices, at least 2 N950's if possible. For the coding competition if no one steps up, I will also volunteer.

I want to handle the community awards, I am voluteering for that responsibility. I am heavily involved with the community devs and can think of a few who should get N9's, can we allocate at least 10-20 devices for this and 1 N950 if possible.

--

Arie

www.everythingn9.com

@everythingN9 on twitter
Sent from my Nokia N9

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

For the competition, we should have at least 20 devices, which is the
number we had last year. A few more would be nice because we have been
talking about adding a new category for platform contributions rather than
apps.

For the community awards, I think council should coordinate. I would
propose to make a prominent announcement, have a wiki page stating criteria
and allowing for individuals to state why they should get an award
according to the criteria, and then a panel of three (who already have
device and are ineligible for second device) should make the final
decisions.

Rob

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM, <arie [at] everythingn9> wrote:

> For the competition we should have 5 devices, at least 2 N950's if
> possible. For the coding competition if no one steps up, I will also
> volunteer.
>

> I want to handle the community awards, I am voluteering for that
> responsibility. I am heavily involved with the community devs and can think
> of a few who should get N9's, can we allocate at least 10-20 devices for
> this and 1 N950 if possible.
>

> --
>
> Arie
>
> www.everythingn9.com
>
> @everythingN9 on twitter
> Sent from my Nokia N9
>
> On 4/25/12 6:49 PM Quim Gil wrote:
> So...
>
> - How many devices do you need for the competition? Who coordinates?
>
> - How many for the community awards? Who coordinates?
>
> You can assign the devices as you wish and when you wish, but knowing
> now how many you need would allow us to organize the other activities
> properly.
>
> --
> Quim

zehjotkah at googlemail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

That's right, last year we had about 20 devices.
Nine N9s, ten N900s and some Intel MeeGo devices.

As suggested, I'd propose the N950s for the competition. Reasons were also
mentioned.

Cosimo

2012/4/26 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail>

> For the competition, we should have at least 20 devices, which is the
> number we had last year. A few more would be nice because we have been
> talking about adding a new category for platform contributions rather than
> apps.
>
> For the community awards, I think council should coordinate. I would
> propose to make a prominent announcement, have a wiki page stating criteria
> and allowing for individuals to state why they should get an award
> according to the criteria, and then a panel of three (who already have
> device and are ineligible for second device) should make the final
> decisions.
>
> Rob
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM, <arie [at] everythingn9> wrote:
>
>> For the competition we should have 5 devices, at least 2 N950's if
>> possible. For the coding competition if no one steps up, I will also
>> volunteer.
>>

>> I want to handle the community awards, I am voluteering for that
>> responsibility. I am heavily involved with the community devs and can think
>> of a few who should get N9's, can we allocate at least 10-20 devices for
>> this and 1 N950 if possible.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Arie
>>
>> www.everythingn9.com
>>
>> @everythingN9 on twitter
>> Sent from my Nokia N9
>>
>> On 4/25/12 6:49 PM Quim Gil wrote:
>> So...
>>
>> - How many devices do you need for the competition? Who coordinates?
>>
>> - How many for the community awards? Who coordinates?
>>
>> You can assign the devices as you wish and when you wish, but knowing
>> now how many you need would allow us to organize the other activities
>> properly.
>>
>> --
>> Quim

twilight312 at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

+1 on coordinating awards by Council. With all due respect, I don't see single reason, why Arie should maintain it.

/Estel

On czw 26 kwi 2012 06:35:27 CEST, Cosimo Kroll <zehjotkah [at] googlemail> wrote:

> That's right, last year we had about 20 devices.
> Nine N9s, ten N900s and some Intel MeeGo devices.
>
> As suggested, I'd propose the N950s for the competition. Reasons were
> also mentioned.
>
> Cosimo
>
> 2012/4/26 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail>
>
> > For the competition, we should have at least 20 devices, which is the
> > number we had last year.  A few more would be nice because we have been
> > talking about adding a new category for platform contributions rather
> > than apps.
> >
> > For the community awards, I think council should coordinate.  I would
> > propose to make a prominent announcement, have a wiki page stating
> > criteria and allowing for individuals to state why they should get an
> > award according to the criteria, and then a panel of three (who
> > already have device and are ineligible for second device) should make
> > the final decisions.
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM, <arie [at] everythingn9> wrote:
> >
> > > For the competition we should have 5 devices, at least 2 N950's if
> > > possible. For the coding competition if no one steps up, I will also
> > > volunteer.
> > >

> > > I want to handle the community awards, I am voluteering for that
> > > responsibility. I am heavily involved with the community devs and
> > > can think of a few who should get N9's, can we allocate at least
> > > 10-20 devices for this and 1 N950 if possible.
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Arie
> > >
> > > www.everythingn9.com
> > >
> > > @everythingN9 on twitter
> > > Sent from my Nokia N9
> > >
> > > On 4/25/12 6:49 PM Quim Gil wrote:
> > > So...
> > >
> > > - How many devices do you need for the competition? Who coordinates?
> > >
> > > - How many for the community awards? Who coordinates?
> > >
> > > You can assign the devices as you wish and when you wish, but knowing
> > > now how many you need would allow us to organize the other activities
> > > properly.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Quim

ivgalvez at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

I completely agree about coordinating with Council and the number of
devices as proposed by Rob and Cosimo.

Iván Gálvez Junquera

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

26. huhtikuuta 2012 16.53 Iván Gálvez Junquera <ivgalvez [at] gmail>kirjoitti:

> I completely agree about coordinating with Council and the number of
> devices as proposed by Rob and Cosimo.

I agree on the device amount for the competition but didn't see anyone
proposing an amount for the seeding itself. So I'm proposing 80 to get that
discussion going. That would make the total number of devices 100. I think
the seeding should be done like proposed earlier by providing a wiki page
where people willing to get one need to add their details including past,
current and planned contributions to the community. So pretty similar thing
that Quim & co. used with the meego developer device program. And then the
council decides who gets a device.

In any case I'd like to see the requirements for getting a device clearly
documented (after there's a consensus for them) to the same wiki page. So
I'd ask for Maemo.org user name with link to the profile, description of
contributions with links to those and summary of future plans. So my main
requirerement would be contributions that benefit the community. There's a
lot of stuff that be contributed to the community and they should all have
some weight. Contributions can be applications, other development, QA,
helping people, communications (think about what people behind the weekly
news are doing) or something else.

This might sound like self evident but when it comes to free gadgets the
rules need to be very clear and the instance who has the final say clearly
definded (the council). And I also agree that in no situation should one
single person be able to make the call on who gets a device or not.
Therefore I'd wait until the new council has been elected (no disrepect to
Rob intended).

BR

-Timo

> 2012/4/26 twilight312 [at] gmail <twilight312 [at] gmail>
>
> **
>>
>> +1 on coordinating awards by Council. With all due respect, I don't see
>> single reason, why Arie should maintain it.
>>
>> /Estel
>>
>> On czw 26 kwi 2012 06:35:27 CEST, Cosimo Kroll <zehjotkah [at] googlemail>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > That's right, last year we had about 20 devices.
>> > Nine N9s, ten N900s and some Intel MeeGo devices.
>> >
>> > As suggested, I'd propose the N950s for the competition. Reasons were
>> > also mentioned.
>> >
>> > Cosimo

>> been

>> also

>> coordinates?

>> knowing
>> activities

> Iván Gálvez Junquera

arie at everythingn9

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Estel I am fine with council awarding the N9's, but there are so many devs that have made a difference for the N9 that will probably never be noticed, could you at least name a few that you feel are qualified to get devices from the program?

I actually test a lot of apps for the devs and am involved with them trying to make them a finished product for the N9. I don't want a device at all, but who better to be involved in the decision of who gets one than a person that doesn't need a device (I have 3 N9's) and actually is in communication with the people that are bringing about some of the best apps that we currently see?

--

Arie

www.everythingn9.com

@everythingN9 on twitter
Sent from my Nokia N9

arie at everythingn9

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

I fully agree with Rob and Cosimo's number as well.

--

Arie

www.everythingn9.com

@everythingN9 on twitter
Sent from my Nokia N9

Iván Gálvez Junquera

quim.gil at nokia

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Alright, 25 devices for the coding competition. Based on last year's
precedent. Confirmed.

About the community awards... 25 devices more sounds a bit arbitrary.
How is it organized? Are there categories or is it just about finding
the right people? Can we keep the deadline around the beginning of June
to avoid the clash with Summer holidays?

Devices will default to N950, having a few N9s available just in case.

Note that I'd still would like to keep devices for other two activities:

- Existing projects being ported/polished for the Nokia Store.

- Qt 5 experimental projects.

--
Quim

www.rzr.online.fr at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi,

What do you think of those categories :

* best opensource app(s?)
* best qt app
* best cross platform app (must support at least 2 OS) ..
* best maemo6

Optinnal ones :

* best non qt app
* best maemo5
* best maemo4
* best maemo7 ?
* best closedsource app(s?)

Regards ...

On 4/26/12, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:
> Alright, 25 devices for the coding competition. Based on last year's
> precedent. Confirmed.
>
> About the community awards... 25 devices more sounds a bit arbitrary.
> How is it organized? Are there categories or is it just about finding
> the right people? Can we keep the deadline around the beginning of June
> to avoid the clash with Summer holidays?
>
> Devices will default to N950, having a few N9s available just in case.
>
> Note that I'd still would like to keep devices for other two activities:
>
> - Existing projects being ported/polished for the Nokia Store.
>
> - Qt 5 experimental projects.
>
> --
> Quim

Related Obsession : http://rzr.online.fr/q/handset

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi
>
> 26. huhtikuuta 2012 16.53 Iván Gálvez Junquera <ivgalvez [at] gmail>kirjoitti:
>
> I completely agree about coordinating with Council and the number of
>> devices as proposed by Rob and Cosimo.
>>

> I agree on the device amount for the competition but didn't see anyone
> proposing an amount for the seeding itself. So I'm proposing 80 to get that
> discussion going. That would make the total number of devices 100. I think
> the seeding should be done like proposed earlier by providing a wiki page
> where people willing to get one need to add their details including past,
> current and planned contributions to the community. So pretty similar thing
> that Quim & co. used with the meego developer device program. And then the
> council decides who gets a device.
>
> In any case I'd like to see the requirements for getting a device clearly
> documented (after there's a consensus for them) to the same wiki page. So
> I'd ask for Maemo.org user name with link to the profile, description of
> contributions with links to those and summary of future plans. So my main
> requirerement would be contributions that benefit the community. There's a
> lot of stuff that be contributed to the community and they should all have
> some weight. Contributions can be applications, other development, QA,
> helping people, communications (think about what people behind the weekly
> news are doing) or something else.

Basically agreed. I'd like to see future plans given minimal weight - it's
hard to gauge promises, etc, and IMO these should be viewed as unexpected
rewards/thank yous for those who have served the community. I think the
time period should be the last year or two so someone who left the
community can't claim a device based on service they did three years ago.
If we could do it (and I know it's not feasible), I'd use karma over the
last 1-2 years as a rough starting point (maybe drop tmo posts, but not tmo
thanks) And by community contributions, we should clarify we mean the
maemo.org community (no disrespect to Mer/nemo/qt/meego/etc). And I think
we should allow nomination of others instead of just self-nominations, and
community members to give +1s to the nominations of others on the wiki
page. (mindful to determine that people can't receive a second device if
they already have one)

> This might sound like self evident but when it comes to free gadgets the
> rules need to be very clear and the instance who has the final say clearly
> definded (the council). And I also agree that in no situation should one
> single person be able to make the call on who gets a device or not.
> Therefore I'd wait until the new council has been elected (no disrepect to
> Rob intended).

I agree we should let new council (or a committee they select) decide who
gets a device, but not wait on determining the criteria to be applied so we
can meet the deadline qgil has requested.

Rob

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Hi

27. huhtikuuta 2012 5.20 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail> kirjoitti:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> 26. huhtikuuta 2012 16.53 Iván Gálvez Junquera <ivgalvez [at] gmail>kirjoitti:
>>
>> I completely agree about coordinating with Council and the number of
>>> devices as proposed by Rob and Cosimo.
>>>

>> I agree on the device amount for the competition but didn't see anyone
>> proposing an amount for the seeding itself. So I'm proposing 80 to get that
>> discussion going. That would make the total number of devices 100. I think
>> the seeding should be done like proposed earlier by providing a wiki page
>> where people willing to get one need to add their details including past,
>> current and planned contributions to the community. So pretty similar thing
>> that Quim & co. used with the meego developer device program. And then the
>> council decides who gets a device.
>>
>> In any case I'd like to see the requirements for getting a device clearly
>> documented (after there's a consensus for them) to the same wiki page. So
>> I'd ask for Maemo.org user name with link to the profile, description of
>> contributions with links to those and summary of future plans. So my main
>> requirerement would be contributions that benefit the community. There's a
>> lot of stuff that be contributed to the community and they should all have
>> some weight. Contributions can be applications, other development, QA,
>> helping people, communications (think about what people behind the weekly
>> news are doing) or something else.
>>
> Basically agreed. I'd like to see future plans given minimal weight -
> it's hard to gauge promises, etc, and IMO these should be viewed as
> unexpected rewards/thank yous for those who have served the community. I
> think the time period should be the last year or two so someone who left
> the community can't claim a device based on service they did three years
> ago. If we could do it (and I know it's not feasible), I'd use karma over
> the last 1-2 years as a rough starting point (maybe drop tmo posts, but not
> tmo thanks) And by community contributions, we should clarify we mean the
> maemo.org community (no disrespect to Mer/nemo/qt/meego/etc). And I
> think we should allow nomination of others instead of just
> self-nominations, and community members to give +1s to the nominations of
> others on the wiki page. (mindful to determine that people can't receive a
> second device if they already have one)

I see your point but I wouldn't go for the unexpected reward thing. I'm
more into looking into what is going on now since I see this something
that's one purpose is to activate the community. Sure it would be nice to
say to a lot of people "thank you" for their past contributions but I don't
see it benefiting the community that much.. Although I'd guess that at the
end of day it's a case by case thing where multiple things affect the
decision so we can't be too strict on the requirements.

Naturally the maemo.org community is the target group here. Althought some
people have been doing things in all of the mentioned communities. It
shouldn't be seen as a negative thing from maemo.org's pow. Many things
done in the other communities benefit maemo.org as well. But yeah. I agree
that the things done directly within maemo.org context are the ones that
matter here.

I don't have too strong opinion on letting people nominate others even
though I'd just let people nominate only themselves. imo it makes this
simpler and doesn't turn this into a popularity contest - even though
popularity of a project, etc. is most likely something that the council
takes into account when picking the receipients. Besides requiring self
nominations gives an indication that one actually needs/wants a device.

>> This might sound like self evident but when it comes to free gadgets the
>> rules need to be very clear and the instance who has the final say clearly
>> definded (the council). And I also agree that in no situation should one
>> single person be able to make the call on who gets a device or not.
>> Therefore I'd wait until the new council has been elected (no disrepect to
>> Rob intended).
>>
> I agree we should let new council (or a committee they select) decide who
> gets a device, but not wait on determining the criteria to be applied so we
> can meet the deadline qgil has requested.

yep. one rule came to my mind: requirement for maemo.org account created
before the 04/2010 and some minimun karma requirement (for example 100)?

Anyway. I'd keep the requirement/rules as simple as possible and give the
council a bit flexibility on picking the receipients. My version of the
rules (currently) would be:
- maemo.org account created before 4/2012
- karma at least 100
- Not for commercial / closed source developers
- Entry to a wiki page containing the following details:
-> link to maemo.org user profile
-> Short summary of past and ongoing contributions (applications,
testing, etc.) with links to back up the claims.
-> Short summary of furure plans (if any)
- deadline for requests - xx.yy.2012 23:59 (after that the page is set to
read only)

That should imo give enough info to the council to able to start evaluating
the candidates.

Timo

> Rob

quim.gil at nokia

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On 04/26/2012 10:40 AM, ext Quim Gil wrote:
> Alright, 25 devices for the coding competition. Based on last year's
> precedent. Confirmed.

There is already a precedent con the coding competition. You can discuss
the details out of this thread since the seeding part is resolved. Let's
continue with the rest of seeding activities here.

Note that I was asking more details about the community awards, not the
coding competition:

> About the community awards... 25 devices more sounds a bit arbitrary.
> How is it organized? Are there categories or is it just about finding
> the right people? Can we keep the deadline around the beginning of June
> to avoid the clash with Summer holidays?
>
> Devices will default to N950, having a few N9s available just in case.
>
> Note that I'd still would like to keep devices for other two activities:
>
> - Existing projects being ported/polished for the Nokia Store.
>
> - Qt 5 experimental projects.

PS: sorry for awkward quoting in this lest. For some reason I get only a
small % of the posts to my @nokia.com account. I subscribed with my
personal email address only to make sure I'm not missing emails.

--
Quim

sivan at omniqueue

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Timo Härkönen <timop.harkonen [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> If needed, a few devices could be invested in side activities related to
>>> these tracks:
>>>
>>> - Improvements in apps infra at maemo.org or the evolution of COBS /
>>> apps.formeego.org / etc.
>>>
>>> - Improvements in Qt 5 support in the N9.
>>>

>>> What do you think?
>

> A very good idea. I'd bet that no one in the community has any objections to
> this :)

True! I have to join that. This might very well be what maemo.org
needs to leap to the next generation and make sure progress and
evolution of the OS goes forward, even if only driven by the
community.

> I would emphasize past contributions like testing, applications written for
> maemo/meego, community activities, etc. when selecting the recipients (but
> not only the past). Basically pretty much the same way that the n950 devkit
> and rasbpi things were done having the candidate listing in the public, for
> example in maemo wiki. I'd ask the candidates to provide the following
> details: name, username, link to maemo.org profile, past contributions,
> current activities, plans with the device if selected. And naturally the
> task of choosing the recipients goes to the council.

+1.

-Sivan

arie at everythingn9

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

In regards to the community program, I think we should let people such as itsnotabigtruck and schturman have devices, people that aren't part of launchpad and have no means of getting devices other than their contributions to the Harmattan Community. There are a lot more, but it seems most known developers for Harmattan have N950's or N9's.

--

Arie

www.everythingn9.com

@everythingN9 on twitter
Sent from my Nokia N9

On 4/27/12 2:51 PM Quim Gil wrote:

On 04/26/2012 10:40 AM, ext Quim Gil wrote:
> Alright, 25 devices for the coding competition. Based on last year's
> precedent. Confirmed.

There is already a precedent con the coding competition. You can discuss
the details out of this thread since the seeding part is resolved. Let's
continue with the rest of seeding activities here.

Note that I was asking more details about the community awards, not the
coding competition:

> About the community awards... 25 devices more sounds a bit arbitrary.
> How is it organized? Are there categories or is it just about finding
> the right people? Can we keep the deadline around the beginning of June
> to avoid the clash with Summer holidays?
>
> Devices will default to N950, having a few N9s available just in case.
>
> Note that I'd still would like to keep devices for other two activities:
>
> - Existing projects being ported/polished for the Nokia Store.
>
> - Qt 5 experimental projects.

PS: sorry for awkward quoting in this lest. For some reason I get only a
small % of the posts to my @nokia.com account. I subscribed with my
personal email address only to make sure I'm not missing emails.

--

Quim

rolandsennrich at googlemail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Yes, thats true. I and a friend from me we started together in Qt. I have only an old N900 and nobody from us has enoogh money to buy a N9 at the moment. The last time, we don't know it about the N950. We started with an app for collectors (eg DVDs or books) to take your db in your pocket. But there is no device for testing the speed of the app and i prefer the N950 because i use the hardware keyboard very often since i got for two years the N97.

Maybe this time we have luck?

----- Ursprüngliche Mitteilung -----
> In regards to the community program, I think we should let people such
> as itsnotabigtruck and schturman have devices, people that aren't part
> of launchpad and have no means of getting devices other than their
> contributions to the Harmattan Community. There are a lot more, but it
> seems most known developers for Harmattan have N950's or N9's.
>
> --
>
> Arie
>
> www.everythingn9.com
>
> @everythingN9 on twitter
> Sent from my Nokia N9
>

> On 4/27/12 2:51 PM Quim Gil wrote:
>
> On 04/26/2012 10:40 AM, ext Quim Gil wrote:
> > Alright, 25 devices for the coding competition. Based on last year's
> > precedent. Confirmed.
>

> There is already a precedent con the coding competition. You can discuss
> the details out of this thread since the seeding part is resolved. Let's
> continue with the rest of seeding activities here.
>

> Note that I was asking more details about the community awards, not the
> coding competition:
>

> > About the community awards... 25 devices more sounds a bit arbitrary.
> > How is it organized? Are there categories or is it just about finding
> > the right people? Can we keep the deadline around the beginning of June
> > to avoid the clash with Summer holidays?
> >
> > Devices will default to N950, having a few N9s available just in case.
> >
> > Note that I'd still would like to keep devices for other two
> > activities:
> >
> > - Existing projects being ported/polished for the Nokia Store.
> >
> > - Qt 5 experimental projects.
>

> PS: sorry for awkward quoting in this lest. For some reason I get only a
> small % of the posts to my @nokia.com account. I subscribed with my
> personal email address only to make sure I'm not missing emails.
>
> --
>
> Quim

nybauer at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Since Nokia apparently wants a decision around the beginning of June, then
I think we need to choose some specific dates for the community awards so
there is plenty of time for the new council to select the recipients in
that time frame. How about:

May 10 Finalize criteria and post wiki page
May 10-30 Promote activity and receive applications
June 5 New Council Committee of 3 selects winners
June 10 Devices sent

Rob

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:

> Alright, 25 devices for the coding competition. Based on last year's
> precedent. Confirmed.
>
> About the community awards... 25 devices more sounds a bit arbitrary. How
> is it organized? Are there categories or is it just about finding the right
> people? Can we keep the deadline around the beginning of June to avoid the
> clash with Summer holidays?
>
> Devices will default to N950, having a few N9s available just in case.
>
> Note that I'd still would like to keep devices for other two activities:
>
> - Existing projects being ported/polished for the Nokia Store.
>
> - Qt 5 experimental projects.
>

> --
> Quim

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

2012/5/3 robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail>

> Since Nokia apparently wants a decision around the beginning of June, then
> I think we need to choose some specific dates for the community awards so
> there is plenty of time for the new council to select the recipients in
> that time frame. How about:
>
> May 10 Finalize criteria and post wiki page
> May 10-30 Promote activity and receive applications
> June 5 New Council Committee of 3 selects winners
> June 10 Devices sent
>
> Rob

Sounds good.

I think the criteria for getting one could be simply "Someone who is/has
been useful to the community and has a good use for the device".
Determining who fits into that is left to the council based on the details
in the wiki page provided by the candidate. I shared my take on the details
to be asked from the candidates earlier in the thread.

Timo

Re: N9 device seeding activity [In reply to]

Today I received a written confirmation you that I can start in September this
year, an apprenticeship as programmer at a software company close
here. Learning
content include C + +, Java and SQL. I would be happy if I will this time
considered from Nokia, although I have not much experience and I with
my programming
skills are starting out. For me, this is also the opportunity in this
direction to further develop myself. My head is full of ideas which I happy
to share with others and want to realize together. Hence my request that you
encourage and supports beginners in common, but they also experienced
enthusiastic developers of other systems (IOS, Android, ...) for our
platform.