Mailing List Archive: Gentoo: Hardened

Security Level: high/server/workstation/virtualization

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Gentoo hardened RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ma1l1ists at yahoo

Jan 28, 2012, 11:56 AM

Re: Security Level: high/server/workstation/virtualization [In reply to]

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:34:42 +0200
wrote:

> > > Core2Duo
> >
> > I don't know the details but according to OpenBSDs Theo, the Core2Duo
> > had some major design flaws that intel couldn't fix with microcode with
> > some security implications.
>
> yeah, Theo for president! of the lunatic asylum.

No need, especially as he's not here to defend himself, atleast he
offered info to backup his statements even if he didn't try to prove
anything.

"http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118296441702631"

"http://www.geek.com/images/geeknews/2006Jan/core_duo_errata__2006_01_21__full.gif"

p.s. It wasn't Theo that said anything about the malloc.conf flag for
clearing memory on free instead of re-use, possibly being less secure.

I'm no troll, though I may hijack a thread a little too often, sorry. I
can understand though don't agree with the tendency of Linux bashing
on the OpenBSD list as they're license/ideals mean they can't use GPLd
code and they have to deal with porting and other issues, of course some
of those ports wouldn't exist or be as good without Linux. I don't
understand the sensitivity to mentioning OpenBSD or Theo by the
minority here as Linux is free to and does use their code.

--
Kc

powerman at powerman

Feb 9, 2012, 11:07 PM

Re: Security Level: high/server/workstation/virtualization [In reply to]

Hi!

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 03:33:51PM +0200, Alex Efros wrote:
> $ dumpcap
> dumpcap: Can't get list of interfaces: Can't open netlink socket 93:Protocol not supported

This one solved by enabling in kernel CONFIG_NF_CT_NETLINK.

Actually I think it needs CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK, but to enable that
one we have to enable one of three other options, and all of them have
nothing with dumping packets at a glance.

--
WBR, Alex.