Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

Leap second tonight

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

toasty at dragondata

Dec 31, 2008, 2:41 PM

Leap second tonight

Just a reminder that there's a leap second tonight.

Last time I watched for what happened on 01/01/2006, there was a
little bit of chaos: http://markmail.org/message/cpoj3jw5onzhhjkr?q=%22kevin+day%22+leap+second+reminder+nanog&page=1&refer=cnkxb3iv7sls5axu

I've been told that some of the causes of these problems are fixed on
any reasonably recent ntp distribution, but just in case, you might
wanna keep an eye out if you're seeing any weirdness. The worst damage
I'd heard from anyone after that event was their clock being
significantly off for several hours.

-- Kevin

roll at Stupi

Dec 31, 2008, 2:45 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

INTERNATIONAL EARTH ROTATION AND REFERENCE SYSTEMS SERVICE (IERS)

SERVICE INTERNATIONAL DE LA ROTATION TERRESTRE ET DES SYSTEMES DE REFERENCE

SERVICE DE LA ROTATION TERRESTRE
OBSERVATOIRE DE PARIS
61, Av. de l'Observatoire 75014 PARIS (France)
Tel. : 33 (0) 1 40 51 22 26
FAX : 33 (0) 1 40 51 22 91
e-mail : services.iers [at] obspm
http://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc

Paris, 4 July 2008

Bulletin C 36

To authorities responsible
for the measurement and
distribution of time

UTC TIME STEP
on the 1st of January 2009

A positive leap second will be introduced at the end of December 2008.
The sequence of dates of the UTC second markers will be:

2008 December 31, 23h 59m 59s
2008 December 31, 23h 59m 60s
2009 January 1, 0h 0m 0s

The difference between UTC and the International Atomic Time TAI is:

from 2006 January 1, 0h UTC, to 2009 January 1 0h UTC : UTC-TAI = - 33s
from 2009 January 1, 0h UTC, until further notice : UTC-TAI = - 34s

Leap seconds can be introduced in UTC at the end of the months of December
or June, depending on the evolution of UT1-TAI. Bulletin C is mailed every
six months, either to announce a time step in UTC or to confirm that there
will be no time step at the next possible date.

Daniel GAMBIS
Head
Earth Orientation Center of IERS
Observatoire de Paris, France

jasper at unleash

Dec 31, 2008, 3:27 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

Since leap seconds apply to UTC, won't the leap second be in about 22
minutes?

-jasper

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
Network Engineer, Unleash

ddi: +64 3 978 1222
mob: +64 21 129 9458

msa at latt

Dec 31, 2008, 3:27 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 04:41:39PM -0600, Kevin Day wrote:
> I've been told that some of the causes of these problems are fixed on
> any reasonably recent ntp distribution, but just in case, you might
> wanna keep an eye out if you're seeing any weirdness. The worst damage
> I'd heard from anyone after that event was their clock being
> significantly off for several hours.

One note, if you're using ntpd along with an HF receiver and the
CHU reference driver, you'll either need to manually retune your receiver
to 7850 kHz or update your ntpd.

As of approximately one hour ago, CHU has moved from 7335 kHz,
where it has been for several decades up to 7850 kHz due to increasing
shortwave broadcast interference.

Also note that many reference clocks, including GPS derived ones,
do not handle leap seconds correctly, so it may be a while before your
reference clocks stabilize.

Happy New Year!

--msa

oberman at es

Dec 31, 2008, 3:28 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

> From: Kevin Day <toasty [at] dragondata>
> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:41:39 -0600
>

> Just a reminder that there's a leap second tonight.
>
> Last time I watched for what happened on 01/01/2006, there was a
> little bit of chaos: http://markmail.org/message/cpoj3jw5onzhhjkr?q=%22kevin+day%22+leap+second+reminder+nanog&page=1&refer=cnkxb3iv7sls5axu
>
> I've been told that some of the causes of these problems are fixed on
> any reasonably recent ntp distribution, but just in case, you might
> wanna keep an eye out if you're seeing any weirdness. The worst damage
> I'd heard from anyone after that event was their clock being
> significantly off for several hours.

While I hope people are not still running NTP versions too old to handle
leap seconds correctly, but that is only a small part of the problem. If
the stratum 1 reference clocks don't handle leap seconds correctly,
there is no way for NTP to deal with it.

We use CDMA clocks and last leap second it took weeks for all of the
cell sites to adjust the last one. As a result, I have set all of our
clocks for manual leap second and set them to adjust tonight at midnight
(UTC).I'll take a look in about 35 minutes and see how it worked.

I've heard reports of various GPS clocks not dealing with the leap
second correctly, as well. Fortunately, not too many need this sort of
accuracy, but those of us who do need to be prepared.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

roll at Stupi

Dec 31, 2008, 4:01 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

bash-2.05b# date
Thu Jan 1 00:59:58 CET 2009
bash-2.05b# date
Thu Jan 1 00:59:59 CET 2009
bash-2.05b# date
Thu Jan 1 00:59:60 CET 2009
bash-2.05b# date
Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 CET 2009
bash-2.05b# date
Thu Jan 1 01:00:01 CET 2009
bash-2.05b#

-P

lars.hallgren at orange

Dec 31, 2008, 4:09 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

wschultz at bsdboy

Dec 31, 2008, 4:53 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

At which point my Solaris 10 v490's reboot in unison, lovely.

Anyone else see anything interesting?

-wil

On Dec 31, 2008, at 4:01 PM, Peter Lothberg wrote:

> bash-2.05b# date
> Thu Jan 1 00:59:58 CET 2009
> bash-2.05b# date
> Thu Jan 1 00:59:59 CET 2009
> bash-2.05b# date
> Thu Jan 1 00:59:60 CET 2009
> bash-2.05b# date
> Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 CET 2009
> bash-2.05b# date
> Thu Jan 1 01:00:01 CET 2009
> bash-2.05b#
>

> -P

meekjt at gmail

Dec 31, 2008, 5:11 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

My Solaris 10 boxes are all happy (and did not reboot). I monitor NTP
on a number
of devices, including one router. The router was off by one second for
a while, but
is OK after an hour. Everything else was fine immediately.

In 2005, our CDMA clock got the leap second between 15:08 and 15:38
EST creating
some issues due to disagreement with the (too few) GPS clocks.

Jon

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Wil Schultz <wschultz [at] bsdboy> wrote:
> At which point my Solaris 10 v490's reboot in unison, lovely.
>
> Anyone else see anything interesting?
>
> -wil

ssaner at hubris

Dec 31, 2008, 5:20 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

Jon Meek wrote:
> My Solaris 10 boxes are all happy (and did not reboot). I monitor NTP
> on a number
> of devices, including one router. The router was off by one second for
> a while, but
> is OK after an hour. Everything else was fine immediately.
>
> In 2005, our CDMA clock got the leap second between 15:08 and 15:38
> EST creating
> some issues due to disagreement with the (too few) GPS clocks.
>
> Jon
>
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Wil Schultz <wschultz [at] bsdboy> wrote:
>> At which point my Solaris 10 v490's reboot in unison, lovely.
>>
>> Anyone else see anything interesting?
>>
>> -wil

I run a bunch of Slackware Linux boxes of varying versions. As best as I can
tell, at or around 00:00 UTC all of my Slackware 12.0 boxes crashed with a
kernel panic. I don't think it is ntpd because it is the same version as on 12.1
boxes (4.2.4p0) that did not crash. It may be the kernel: 2.6.21.5

Anyone else experience similar or was this coincidental and I have other issues...

Steve

Steven Saner <ssaner [at] hubris> Voice: 316-858-3000
Director of Network Operations Fax: 316-858-3001
Hubris Communications http://www.hubris.net

mhuff at ox

Dec 31, 2008, 5:35 PM

RE: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

It looks like clepsydra hasn't been updated:

address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset disp
-~192.5.41.40 .USNO. 1 194 1024 377 41.1 5.19 38.2
-~130.207.244.240 .GPS. 1 68 1024 377 23.1 11.09 1.3
~127.127.7.1 127.127.7.1 7 53 64 377 0.0 0.00 0.0
+~198.60.22.240 .GPS. 1 436 1024 377 65.7 7.09 32.5
~204.123.2.5 .GPS. 1 182 1024 377 80.4 1011.4 24.9
+~67.128.71.76 .CDMA. 1 178 1024 377 16.8 10.85 79.2
+~18.26.4.105 .CDMA. 1 562 1024 377 8.4 7.90 235.8
-~209.81.9.7 .GPS. 1 170 1024 177 79.9 16.96 170.8
*~209.51.161.238 .CDMA. 1 1019 1024 377 3.9 10.13 2.5
-~204.152.184.72 .GPS. 1 697 1024 377 75.0 1.81 3.2
+~18.145.0.30 .PSC. 1 1737 1024 376 10.0 8.52 297.1

Quick, someone call DEC.

Seriously, clepsydra is one of the older ntp servers out there, and hasn't dealt with the leap second correctly.

Just a reminder that there's a leap second tonight.

Last time I watched for what happened on 01/01/2006, there was a
little bit of chaos: http://markmail.org/message/cpoj3jw5onzhhjkr?q=%22kevin+day%22+leap+second+reminder+nanog&page=1&refer=cnkxb3iv7sls5axu

I've been told that some of the causes of these problems are fixed on
any reasonably recent ntp distribution, but just in case, you might
wanna keep an eye out if you're seeing any weirdness. The worst damage
I'd heard from anyone after that event was their clock being
significantly off for several hours.

-- Kevin

smb at cs

Dec 31, 2008, 9:41 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:53:57 -0800
Wil Schultz <wschultz [at] bsdboy> wrote:

> At which point my Solaris 10 v490's reboot in unison, lovely.

Solaris? Or ZuneOS? (See
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/01/technology/personaltech/01zune.html)

simon at slimey

Jan 1, 2009, 1:15 AM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

On Wed Dec 31, 2008 at 04:53:57PM -0800, Wil Schultz wrote:
> At which point my Solaris 10 v490's reboot in unison, lovely.
>
> Anyone else see anything interesting?

I had a couple of Oracle servers (Solaris 10) reboot a couple of minutes
just before the leap second. All my other Solaris 10 boxes appear to have
stayed up fine.

Simon

yahoo at jimpop

Jan 1, 2009, 1:29 AM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 04:15, Simon Lockhart <simon [at] slimey> wrote:
> On Wed Dec 31, 2008 at 04:53:57PM -0800, Wil Schultz wrote:
>> At which point my Solaris 10 v490's reboot in unison, lovely.
>>
>> Anyone else see anything interesting?
>
> I had a couple of Oracle servers (Solaris 10) reboot a couple of minutes
> just before the leap second. All my other Solaris 10 boxes appear to have
> stayed up fine.

Have either of you determined if this was a OS reboot and not a bios reset?

-Jim P.

simon at slimey

Jan 1, 2009, 2:36 AM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

On Thu Jan 01, 2009 at 04:29:35AM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Have either of you determined if this was a OS reboot and not a bios reset?

I've been trawling through all the logfiles I can find on the box, and I see
normal entries up until 23:59:xx, and then the next entry is stuff restarting.
Could well be a BIOS/LOM reset, but it's odd that the only two boxes affected
were my Oracle servers.

Simon

wschultz at bsdboy

Jan 1, 2009, 7:58 AM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

All of my Solaris 10 boxes stayed up with the exception of the Oracle
10g RAC boxes.

db1:~ wschultz$ uname -a
SunOS db1 5.10 Generic_137111-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490

A friend of mine had his RAC boxes reboot as well, similar
configuration. I've poured through the logs and see normal activity
until the reboot, nothing suspicious and no reason for the reboot.
Seems to be specific to Solaris 10 running RAC on this end.

-wil

On Jan 1, 2009, at 2:36 AM, Simon Lockhart wrote:

> On Thu Jan 01, 2009 at 04:29:35AM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>> Have either of you determined if this was a OS reboot and not a
>> bios reset?
>
> I've been trawling through all the logfiles I can find on the box,
> and I see
> normal entries up until 23:59:xx, and then the next entry is stuff
> restarting.
> Could well be a BIOS/LOM reset, but it's odd that the only two boxes
> affected
> were my Oracle servers.
>
> Simon

simon at slimey

Jan 1, 2009, 8:13 AM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

On Thu Jan 01, 2009 at 07:58:21AM -0800, Wil Schultz wrote:
> All of my Solaris 10 boxes stayed up with the exception of the Oracle
> 10g RAC boxes.

My Oracle boxes that rebooted were running RAC (version 10G R2), too. Another
Solaris 10 box running the same version of Oracle, but not RAC, did not reboot.

Looks rather like an Oracle 10 RAC bug.

Simon

jeffw at smoe

Jan 1, 2009, 12:05 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 04:13:51PM +0000, Simon Lockhart wrote:
> On Thu Jan 01, 2009 at 07:58:21AM -0800, Wil Schultz wrote:
> > All of my Solaris 10 boxes stayed up with the exception of the Oracle
> > 10g RAC boxes.
>
> My Oracle boxes that rebooted were running RAC (version 10G R2), too. Another
> Solaris 10 box running the same version of Oracle, but not RAC, did not reboot.

I've got a 10g RAC cluster with T2000s and 2900s that didn't reboot. I
can dig up specific release levels, but I think we're at 10.2.0.4

-j

stefan at csudsu

Jan 1, 2009, 1:13 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

What FS do you have on your RAC? And do you have a log of console?

We do not have 10g R2 on Solaris, but with the random issues we have seen. Oracle could have fenced each other off. We noticed that some errors do not show up anywhere than console, so we run conserver and dump all console out to log.

On Thu Jan 01, 2009 at 07:58:21AM -0800, Wil Schultz wrote:
> All of my Solaris 10 boxes stayed up with the exception of the Oracle
> 10g RAC boxes.

My Oracle boxes that rebooted were running RAC (version 10G R2), too. Another
Solaris 10 box running the same version of Oracle, but not RAC, did not reboot.

Looks rather like an Oracle 10 RAC bug.

Simon

cmadams at hiwaay

Jan 1, 2009, 6:12 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

Once upon a time, Steven Saner <ssaner [at] hubris> said:
> I run a bunch of Slackware Linux boxes of varying versions. As best as I
> can tell, at or around 00:00 UTC all of my Slackware 12.0 boxes crashed
> with a kernel panic. I don't think it is ntpd because it is the same
> version as on 12.1 boxes (4.2.4p0) that did not crash. It may be the
> kernel: 2.6.21.5
>
> Anyone else experience similar or was this coincidental and I have other
> issues...

I had one (out of many, including about a half dozen identically
configured) Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 systems hang at the leap second.

There have been some messages on the NTP list referencing posts on a
Debian list about leap second crashes, and there's a post on /. about a
similar problem with Fedora 8.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams [at] hiwaay>

eddies at softhome

Jan 1, 2009, 6:46 PM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

Steven Saner wrote:
> Jon Meek wrote:
>> My Solaris 10 boxes are all happy (and did not reboot). I monitor NTP
>> on a number
>> of devices, including one router. The router was off by one second for
>> a while, but
>> is OK after an hour. Everything else was fine immediately.
>>
>> In 2005, our CDMA clock got the leap second between 15:08 and 15:38
>> EST creating
>> some issues due to disagreement with the (too few) GPS clocks.
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Wil Schultz <wschultz [at] bsdboy> wrote:
>>> At which point my Solaris 10 v490's reboot in unison, lovely.
>>>
>>> Anyone else see anything interesting?
>>>
>>> -wil
>
> I run a bunch of Slackware Linux boxes of varying versions. As best as I
> can tell, at or around 00:00 UTC all of my Slackware 12.0 boxes crashed
> with a kernel panic. I don't think it is ntpd because it is the same
> version as on 12.1 boxes (4.2.4p0) that did not crash. It may be the
> kernel: 2.6.21.5
>
> Anyone else experience similar or was this coincidental and I have other
> issues...
>
> Steve

Yep. I have a few Slack 12 boxes lockup. Digging around, it looks to be
a issue with pre 2.6.21.5 kernels.

-Eddie
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

thomas at habets

Jan 4, 2009, 7:09 AM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Simon Lockhart wrote:
> My Oracle boxes that rebooted were running RAC (version 10G R2), too. Another
> Solaris 10 box running the same version of Oracle, but not RAC, did not reboot.
>
> Looks rather like an Oracle 10 RAC bug.

It's a known bug in Oracle 10. When the time is set backwards the system
reboots. I don't have the bug id at hand but there is one, and a patch.

Either patch or don't run NTP on Oracle servers.

---------
typedef struct me_s {
char name[] = { "Thomas Habets" };
char email[] = { "thomas [at] habets" };
char kernel[] = { "Linux" };
char *pgpKey[] = { "http://www.habets.pp.se/pubkey.txt" };
char pgp[] = { "A8A3 D1DD 4AE0 8467 7FDE 0945 286A E90A AD48 E854" };
char coolcmd[] = { "echo '. ./_&. ./_'>_;. ./_" };
} me_t;

frnkblk at iname

Jan 5, 2009, 8:24 AM

RE: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

A report from a DHCP/DNS appliance vendor here:
====================
Several customers have reported a complete lock-up of their Proteus system
around the beginning of January 1st 2009. We believe that we have traced
this to a problem in the underlying kernel and NTP and the handling of the
date change associated with 2008 being a Leap Year and therefore having 366
days.

Several conditions must be met to trigger this problem:
1. The Proteus was originally installed as v2.1.x or earlier.
2. NTP is enabled as a client with 2 or more external source servers
defined.
3. There is a discrepancy in the times reported back by these other NTP
servers.

There is no correction available at this time, and the resolution is to
power cycle the system, after which it will run fine.

If you experienced a similar problem at the indicated time, please submit a
trouble ticket so that we can confirm that this occurred on your system.
====================

I don't know what the underlying OS is.

Frank

Just a reminder that there's a leap second tonight.

Last time I watched for what happened on 01/01/2006, there was a
little bit of chaos:
http://markmail.org/message/cpoj3jw5onzhhjkr?q=%22kevin+day%22+leap+second+r
eminder+nanog&page=1&refer=cnkxb3iv7sls5axu

I've been told that some of the causes of these problems are fixed on
any reasonably recent ntp distribution, but just in case, you might
wanna keep an eye out if you're seeing any weirdness. The worst damage
I'd heard from anyone after that event was their clock being
significantly off for several hours.

-- Kevin

adrian at creative

Jan 5, 2009, 8:30 AM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

This begs the question - how the heck do timekeepers and politicians get
away with last minute time changes?

Surely there's -some- pushback from technology related interest groups to
try and get more than four weeks warning? :)

Adrian

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009, Frank Bulk wrote:
> A report from a DHCP/DNS appliance vendor here:
> ====================
> Several customers have reported a complete lock-up of their Proteus system
> around the beginning of January 1st 2009. We believe that we have traced
> this to a problem in the underlying kernel and NTP and the handling of the
> date change associated with 2008 being a Leap Year and therefore having 366
> days.
>
> Several conditions must be met to trigger this problem:
> 1. The Proteus was originally installed as v2.1.x or earlier.
> 2. NTP is enabled as a client with 2 or more external source servers
> defined.
> 3. There is a discrepancy in the times reported back by these other NTP
> servers.
>
> There is no correction available at this time, and the resolution is to
> power cycle the system, after which it will run fine.
>
> If you experienced a similar problem at the indicated time, please submit a
> trouble ticket so that we can confirm that this occurred on your system.
> ====================
>
> I don't know what the underlying OS is.
>
> Frank

nick at foobar

Jan 5, 2009, 8:36 AM

Re: Leap second tonight [In reply to]

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> This begs the question - how the heck do timekeepers and politicians get
> away with last minute time changes?
>
> Surely there's -some- pushback from technology related interest groups to
> try and get more than four weeks warning? :)

?

Notice for the leap second was issued on July 4 2008.

http://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/bulletinc.36

Nick