Mailing List Archive: DRBD: Users

Updating/Reinstalling the Operational System (best practices)

DRBD users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

marcelops at gmail

Jun 7, 2012, 6:43 AM

Updating/Reinstalling the Operational System (best practices)

Hello Everybody,

I have got a very simple (and probably basic) question.

What are the best practices when updating the "operation system" where I
have a DRBD volume?

Here is the map of my servers:

- Linux (CentOS 5.8)-- this is my *primary* server, which the DRBD tools
installed in
- OpenFiler (this is my *primary* hot-swapable storage unit)

- Linux (CentOS 5.8)-- this is my *secondary* server, which the DRBD
tools installed in
- OpenFiler (this is my *secondary* hot-swapable storage unit)

Each Linux server mounts the volume from his related OpenFiler unit through
iscsi, and then I use DRBD to mirror them. It's working perfectly now.

I had to do some maintenance a couple of months ago, updating the CentOS
from 5.2 to 5.8, which was very straightforward. Then I updated the DRBD
from 8.2.6 to 8.3.12, which was pretty good as well.

Now I need to update the operational system, from CentOS 5.8 to CentOS 6.2,
and I can't do it as a simple software update (since CentOS doesn't support
such a feature). That said, I will have to reinstall to SO on the servers
(I'm not touching the storage units, though).

What would be a best practice in this case, in order to "replace" these
servers and keep the storage units the way they are now? I wish I could
simply reinstall the OS, remap the units, configure DRBD and sync, but I
want to know what is the golden path to do so.

Thanks,
Marcelo

jlillard at ghfllc

Jun 7, 2012, 6:51 AM

Re: Updating/Reinstalling the Operational System (best practices) [In reply to]

I can't answer your question because I use Ubuntu and updating the OS is
fairly simple. But I did want offer some advice. I also started out
having my DRBD nodes mounting their storage over iSCSI. It worked fine but
I got significant performance improvements by using local storage instead.
In my situation I was able to pull the hard drives out of the NAS and put
them directly in the server.