Mailing List Archive: DRBD: Users

openfiler HA

DRBD users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

echatzig at gmail

openfiler HA

Hello,

I am looking for some consultancy regarding an openfiler HA cluster.

The setup is mainly based on the well known howtoforge article

(
http://www.howtoforge.com/openfiler-2.99-active-passive-with-corosync-pacemaker-and-drbd
)

The setup is sucessfull, apart from the fact that currently the failover is
not automatic. Probably, this is an issue related to corosync/pacemaker
configuration.

I am looking for consultancy in order to implement the automatic failover.

Can you pls let me know if you are interested? If you do, then pls provide
more info regarding your fees/ availability/expertise on the OF subject?
Alternatively could you refer me to a company/freelancer who is willing to
undertake this?

Kind Regards,
Elias

dennisml at conversis

Re: openfiler HA [In reply to]

On 05/01/2012 08:01 AM, Elias Chatzigeorgiou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for some consultancy regarding an openfiler HA cluster.
>
> The setup is mainly based on the well known howtoforge article
>
> (http://www.howtoforge.com/openfiler-2.99-active-passive-with-corosync-pacemaker-and-drbd)
>
> The setup is sucessfull, apart from the fact that currently the failover is
> not automatic. Probably, this is an issue related to corosync/pacemaker
> configuration.
>
> I am looking for consultancy in order to implement the automatic failover.
>
> Can you pls let me know if you are interested? If you do, then pls provide
> more info regarding your fees/ availability/expertise on the OF subject?
> Alternatively could you refer me to a company/freelancer who is willing to
> undertake this?

Well, the homepage says there is HA and Replication available for 2400
euros. Given that the project seems to be practially dead you might look
for alternatives though.

Regards,
Dennis

echatzig at gmail

Re: openfiler HA [In reply to]

Hi Dennis,
what makes you think openfiler is dead? I believe there are many shops
that rely on OF for a quick storage solution.

Having said that, what would you propose as an alternative (that also
includes a decent UI for starters) ?
On May 1, 2012 3:37 PM, "Dennis Jacobfeuerborn" <dennisml [at] conversis>
wrote:

> On 05/01/2012 08:01 AM, Elias Chatzigeorgiou wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am looking for some consultancy regarding an openfiler HA cluster.
> >
> > The setup is mainly based on the well known howtoforge article
> >
> > (
> http://www.howtoforge.com/openfiler-2.99-active-passive-with-corosync-pacemaker-and-drbd
> )
> >
> > The setup is sucessfull, apart from the fact that currently the failover
> is
> > not automatic. Probably, this is an issue related to corosync/pacemaker
> > configuration.
> >
> > I am looking for consultancy in order to implement the automatic
> failover.
> >
> > Can you pls let me know if you are interested? If you do, then pls
> provide
> > more info regarding your fees/ availability/expertise on the OF subject?
> > Alternatively could you refer me to a company/freelancer who is willing
> > undertake this?
>
> Well, the homepage says there is HA and Replication available for 2400
> euros. Given that the project seems to be practially dead you might look
> for alternatives though.
>
> Regards,
> Dennis

dennisml at conversis

Re: openfiler HA [In reply to]

On 05/01/2012 03:13 PM, Elias Chatzigeorgiou wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
> what makes you think openfiler is dead? I believe there are many shops
> that rely on OF for a quick storage solution.

There is no active development taking place. If you go to the community
page and follow the "coding" link you end up in the source repository.
The last entry in the revision log is from March 2010.

Also I spent two hours porting the code to centos 5 as a base and got as
far as getting it to export nfs shares but the code isn't exactly nice to
work with and it relies on a lot of patches to very basic commands such as
"parted", "quota" and "lvm" so eventually I gave up because I don't really
have the spare time to go all the way with this.

If treated as a black box it might work for you but for maintenance you
need to get used to rpath linux and don't expect any further development of
features or compatibility with the latest hardware.

> Having said that, what would you propose as an alternative (that also
> includes a decent UI for starters) ?

In terms of open projects there are FreeNAS and OpenMediaVault. FreeNAS is
more mature and FreeBSD based and OpenMediaVault is a young project and
Debian based. I haven't used either but they both look interesting and are
actually active projects.

Regards,
Dennis

xjtuwjp at gmail

Re: openfiler HA [In reply to]

Agree on OF is almost dead, openmediavault is a much better alternate
with good design, featureful, easy to use.

Jack

在 2012年5月2日 上午4:27,Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml [at] conversis> 写道:
> On 05/01/2012 03:13 PM, Elias Chatzigeorgiou wrote:
>> Hi Dennis,
>> what makes you think openfiler is dead? I believe there are many shops
>> that rely on OF for a quick storage solution.
>
> There is no active development taking place. If you go to the community
> page and follow the "coding" link you end up in the source repository.
> The last entry in the revision log is from March 2010.
>
> Also I spent two hours porting the code to centos 5 as a base and got as
> far as getting it to export nfs shares but the code isn't exactly nice to
> work with and it relies on a lot of patches to very basic commands such as
> "parted", "quota" and "lvm" so eventually I gave up because I don't really
> have the spare time to go all the way with this.
>
> If treated as a black box it might work for you but for maintenance you
> need to get used to rpath linux and don't expect any further development of
> features or compatibility with the latest hardware.
>
>> Having said that, what would you propose as an alternative (that also
>> includes a decent UI for starters) ?
>
> In terms of open projects there are FreeNAS and OpenMediaVault. FreeNAS is
> more mature and FreeBSD based and OpenMediaVault is a young project and
> Debian based. I haven't used either but they both look interesting and are
> actually active projects.
>
> Regards,
> Dennis

echatzig at gmail

Re: openfiler HA [In reply to]

Hi Jack,
thanks for your suggestion.

However, I did a quick search for any reference related to HA but couldn't
find any info.

Can you pls let me know if openmediavault supports clustering (e.g a two
node active-passive setup)? Is the UI still functioning in the HA setup, or
it needs hacking/extra development to allow clustering support?

Rgds,
Elias
On May 2, 2012 4:02 AM, "Jack Wang" <xjtuwjp [at] gmail> wrote:

> Agree on OF is almost dead, openmediavault is a much better alternate
> with good design, featureful, easy to use.
>
> Jack
>
> 在 2012年5月2日 上午4:27,Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml [at] conversis> 写道:
> > On 05/01/2012 03:13 PM, Elias Chatzigeorgiou wrote:
> >> Hi Dennis,
> >> what makes you think openfiler is dead? I believe there are many
> shops
> >> that rely on OF for a quick storage solution.
> >
> > There is no active development taking place. If you go to the community
> > page and follow the "coding" link you end up in the source repository.
> > The last entry in the revision log is from March 2010.
> >
> > Also I spent two hours porting the code to centos 5 as a base and got as
> > far as getting it to export nfs shares but the code isn't exactly nice to
> > work with and it relies on a lot of patches to very basic commands such
> as
> > "parted", "quota" and "lvm" so eventually I gave up because I don't
> really
> > have the spare time to go all the way with this.
> >
> > If treated as a black box it might work for you but for maintenance you
> > need to get used to rpath linux and don't expect any further development
> of
> > features or compatibility with the latest hardware.
> >
> >> Having said that, what would you propose as an alternative (that
> also
> >> includes a decent UI for starters) ?
> >
> > In terms of open projects there are FreeNAS and OpenMediaVault. FreeNAS
> is
> > more mature and FreeBSD based and OpenMediaVault is a young project and
> > Debian based. I haven't used either but they both look interesting and
> are
> > actually active projects.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dennis

xjtuwjp at gmail

Re: openfiler HA [In reply to]

Hi Elias,

I think openmediavault should supports cluster, but current web UI is
not have interface to setup HA,

but you can setup manually follow any debian drbd setup howto

Jack

rasto.levrinc at gmail

Re: openfiler HA [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Elias Chatzigeorgiou <echatzig [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
> 牋 what makes you think openfiler is dead? I believe there are many shops
> that rely on OF for a quick storage solution.
>
> 牋 Having said that, what would you propose as an alternative (that also
> includes a decent UI for starters) ?

As an alternative (I know about) there's LCMC GUI, it works with Openfiler
or any other distro dead or alive :), it can configure Corosync, Pacemaker
and DRBD, it can be embedded as an applet to the web configuration
interface, but unfortunately it still needs SSH connection to the cluster
nodes at the moment.

Rasto

--
Dipl.-Ing. Rastislav Levrinc
rasto.levrinc [at] gmail

M.vandeLande at VDL-Fittings

Re: openfiler HA [In reply to]

Hello Rasto,

I'm currently in the process of setting up a highly available iSCSI cluster with drbd pacemaker and corosync. I'm used to CMAN so I'm still getting used to the pacemaker crm. I just installed the LCMC on windows 7 and it's a relieve to have a graphical overview of the clusters. (like luci on rhel). Are there any plans to include some storage management features? It would be great if an iSCSI cluster could be completely managed bij LCMC. (Or is this already possible?) (currently I use xming, ssh and system-config-lvm)

Thank you very much for providing the LCMC!

Maurits