Mailing List Archive: DRBD: Users

Sync gets stalled at 100%

DRBD users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

marcelops at gmail

Sync gets stalled at 100%

Hello,

I have been trying to sync two DRBD nodes, but it gets stalled at 100%.

They are only 16Tb big. It has 6Tb of data to be sync'ed. How I know that??
Well, I have never seen these nodes sync'ed, and I have transferred 6Tb of
data to the primary node, having the secondary node down. Now I just want
to sync.

Well, the sync process forecasts 33h to go through, and I did sync two
times already, just to see it stalled at the very 100%.

I know I'm using an old version (8.2.6), but I wonder why it's getting
stalled. The volumes are now umounted (unused) and sync'ing. I will wait
another 33h to check this out.

Is there a way to do some stops (checkpoints)?? For example, I though I
could stop the drbd once in a while, just to "consolidate" the sync
"changes/position". This way, if it gets stalled, I would have to wait less
than 33h, in opposition of starting over all the times. (Yes, it's starting
over, all the times).

Any advices??

Thanks,
Marcelo

florian at hastexo

Re: Sync gets stalled at 100% [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:06 AM, Marcelo Pereira <marcelops [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to sync two DRBD nodes, but it gets stalled at 100%.
>
> They are only 16Tb big. It has 6Tb of data to be sync'ed. How I know that??
> Well, I have never seen these nodes sync'ed, and I have transferred 6Tb of
> data to the primary node, having the secondary node down. Now I just want to
> sync.
>
> Well, the sync process forecasts 33h to go through, and I did sync two times
> already, just to see it stalled at the very 100%.
>
> I know I'm using an old version (8.2.6), but I wonder why it's getting
> stalled. The volumes are now umounted (unused) and sync'ing. I will wait
> another 33h to check this out.

Sync stalling at 100% is a known issue in 8.2.6 (several 8.2.x
versions actually, iirc). Fixed in 8.3, so do upgrade.

Florian

--
Need help with High Availability?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

marcelops at gmail

Re: Sync gets stalled at 100% [In reply to]

Hi Florian,

Thanks for you answer.

It will sound stupid, but here we go: Is there a documentation (or any word from your) on how to upgrade from 8.2.6 to 8.3.x ??

I know that DRBD works perfectly as long as you go through the right process order. So how would be the exact right process to upgrade the nodes?? I'm using CentOS 5.6.

Thanks,

--Marcelo

On Apr 2, 2012, at 3:02 AM, Florian Haas <florian [at] hastexo> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:06 AM, Marcelo Pereira <marcelops [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been trying to sync two DRBD nodes, but it gets stalled at 100%.
>>
>> They are only 16Tb big. It has 6Tb of data to be sync'ed. How I know that??
>> Well, I have never seen these nodes sync'ed, and I have transferred 6Tb of
>> data to the primary node, having the secondary node down. Now I just want to
>> sync.
>>
>> Well, the sync process forecasts 33h to go through, and I did sync two times
>> already, just to see it stalled at the very 100%.
>>
>> I know I'm using an old version (8.2.6), but I wonder why it's getting
>> stalled. The volumes are now umounted (unused) and sync'ing. I will wait
>> another 33h to check this out.
>
> Sync stalling at 100% is a known issue in 8.2.6 (several 8.2.x
> versions actually, iirc). Fixed in 8.3, so do upgrade.
>
> Florian
>
> --
> Need help with High Availability?
> http://www.hastexo.com/now

themsley at voiceflex

Re: Sync gets stalled at 100% [In reply to]

On 02/04/12 13:09, Marcelo Pereira wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> Thanks for you answer.
>
> It will sound stupid, but here we go: Is there a documentation (or any word from your) on how to upgrade from 8.2.6 to 8.3.x ??
>
> I know that DRBD works perfectly as long as you go through the right process order. So how would be the exact right process to upgrade the nodes?? I'm using CentOS 5.6.

The CentOS 'extras' repository has DRBD 8.3.12 available for install.
I've upgraded to this release from 8.0.11 on Ubuntu without making any
changes except reinstalling the o/s and installing the new DRBD version.

Trevor

marcelops at gmail

Re: Sync gets stalled at 100% [In reply to]

Hi Trevor et all,

>The CentOS 'extras' repository has DRBD 8.3.12 available for install.
>I've upgraded to this release from 8.0.11 on Ubuntu without making any
>changes except reinstalling the o/s and installing the new DRBD version.

Reinstalling the OS?? I will definitely start using CentOS 6.x, but in the
near future. Right now, I would be very happy upgrading only DRBR now.

Thanks,
Marcelo

themsley at voiceflex

Re: Sync gets stalled at 100% [In reply to]

On 02/04/12 13:21, Marcelo Pereira wrote:
> Hi Trevor et all,
>
>> The CentOS 'extras' repository has DRBD 8.3.12 available for install.
>> I've upgraded to this release from 8.0.11 on Ubuntu without making any
>> changes except reinstalling the o/s and installing the new DRBD version.
> Reinstalling the OS?? I will definitely start using CentOS 6.x, but in the
> near future. Right now, I would be very happy upgrading only DRBR now.

To be clear about this, it is very difficult to move from DRBD 8.0.11 on
Ubuntu to 8.3.12 on CentOS 5 without reinstalling the o/s! I wasn't
suggesting that you needed to do the same thing.

Trevor