Mailing List Archive: DRBD: Users

On-Disk Format

DRBD users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

taeuber at bbaw

Mar 26, 2012, 5:31 AM

On-Disk Format

Hi there.

I administrate a running drbd system, that has some flaws.
There are two SuSE 11.1 servers mirroring 12TB.

Is it possible to migrate to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

The question is: Will drbd 8.3.11 understand the on-disk format of a previous
8.3.8.1 installation or do I have recreate the drbd and mirror the complete
data again?

Are there other things to pay attention to?

I thought to
* install an ubuntu system on the secondary and synchronize after
installation
* Make the new system to primary and do the same to the residual
system.

Thanks
Lars

danceswithcrows at usa

Mar 26, 2012, 10:47 AM

Re: On-Disk Format [In reply to]

From: Lars Tšuber <taeuber [at] bbaw>
> I administrate a running drbd system, that has some flaws.
> There are two SuSE 11.1 servers mirroring 12TB.
> Is it possible to migrate [that] to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Probably. However, while SuSE has always been buggy, Ubuntu isn't that much
better AFAICT. You've heard all the "OMG Unity is horrible!!1!" traffic on
various mailing lists, right? That's more important for orkstations than
servers, but it shows they're out of touch with users' wants. I'd go for
CentOS or Gentoo myself.

> Will drbd 8.3.11 understand the on-disk format of a previous 8.3.8.1
> installation?

Yes.

> Install an Ubuntu system on the secondary and synchronize after
> installation, then make the new system primary and do the same to
> the [old] system.

That should work. The main thing you'll have to do is account for all the
differences between the old distro and the new distro in terms of running
programs and config file differences.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/

taeuber at bbaw

Mar 27, 2012, 12:25 AM

Re: On-Disk Format [In reply to]

Hi Matt,

Am Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:47:15 -0700
"Matt Graham" <danceswithcrows [at] usa> schrieb:
> From: Lars Täuber <taeuber [at] bbaw>
> > I administrate a running drbd system, that has some flaws.
> > There are two SuSE 11.1 servers mirroring 12TB.
> > Is it possible to migrate [that] to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?
>
> Probably. However, while SuSE has always been buggy, Ubuntu isn't that much
> better AFAICT. You've heard all the "OMG Unity is horrible!!1!" traffic on
> various mailing lists, right? That's more important for orkstations than
> servers, but it shows they're out of touch with users' wants. I'd go for
> CentOS or Gentoo myself.

I'm relatively happy with the ubuntu LTS server versions so far.

> > Will drbd 8.3.11 understand the on-disk format of a previous 8.3.8.1
> > installation?
>
> Yes.

Many thanks. I'll try it then.

> > Install an Ubuntu system on the secondary and synchronize after
> > installation, then make the new system primary and do the same to
> > the [old] system.
>
> That should work. The main thing you'll have to do is account for all the
> differences between the old distro and the new distro in terms of running
> programs and config file differences.

Of course.

Lars

tserong at suse

Mar 27, 2012, 1:05 AM

Re: On-Disk Format [In reply to]

On 03/27/2012 06:25 PM, Lars Täuber wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> Am Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:47:15 -0700
> "Matt Graham" <danceswithcrows [at] usa> schrieb:
>> From: Lars Täuber <taeuber [at] bbaw>
>>> I administrate a running drbd system, that has some flaws.
>>> There are two SuSE 11.1 servers mirroring 12TB.
>>> Is it possible to migrate [that] to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?
>>
>> Probably. However, while SuSE has always been buggy,

What?

As you can probably tell from my email address and/or signature, I may
not be completely unbiased, but if DRBD (or anything else) is broken on
SLES or openSUSE, please do elaborate.

Regards,

Tim
--