Mailing List Archive: DRBD: Users

How to recover data from node3

DRBD users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

expertalert at gmail

Nov 16, 2011, 1:47 AM

How to recover data from node3

Hi,
I need some steps about how to recover data from node3 to node 2 or node 1

suppose,
Node 1 and node 2 is Local (Uk ) and node 3 in denmark

Now due to some network problem in Uk, we had to forward all trafiq to
Denmark.

Now We have solved the problem un Uk, Now We need to syncronized data from
Denmark to Uk .

Suppose I have same setup :
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-three-nodes.html

node1(Primary-Uk) node2 (Seondary-Uk) node 3 ( remote denmark)

Now when Uk came back, I set node1 and node2 as Secondary

root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
0:home Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
1:data Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C

root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
0:home WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C
1:data WFConnection Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C

and

/etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
10:home-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
11:data-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A

Now, I need a help ..

what steps shall i take to syncronized data from drbd3(node3) to node1 and
node 2

Please help me with this .
Regards
Fosiul

andreas at hastexo

Nov 16, 2011, 4:26 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

On 11/16/2011 10:47 AM, fosiul alam wrote:
> Hi,
> I need some steps about how to recover data from node3 to node 2 or node 1
>
> suppose,
> Node 1 and node 2 is Local (Uk ) and node 3 in denmark
>
> Now due to some network problem in Uk, we had to forward all trafiq to
> Denmark.
>
> Now We have solved the problem un Uk, Now We need to syncronized data
> from Denmark to Uk .

I would expect you can see:

Split-Brain detected, dropping connection!

messages .... so follow the manual split brain recovery procedure:

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-legacy/s-resolve-split-brain.html

Regards,
Andreas

--
Need help with DRBD?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

> Suppose I have same setup :
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-three-nodes.html
>
> node1(Primary-Uk) node2 (Seondary-Uk) node 3 ( remote denmark)
>
> Now when Uk came back, I set node1 and node2 as Secondary
>
> root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p mounted
> fstype
> 0:home Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
> 1:data Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
>

> root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p mounted
> fstype
> 0:home WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C
> 1:data WFConnection Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C
>

> and
>
> /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p mounted
> fstype
> 10:home-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
> 11:data-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
>

> Now, I need a help ..
>
> what steps shall i take to syncronized data from drbd3(node3) to node1
> and node 2
>
> Please help me with this .
> Regards
> Fosiul

Attachments: signature.asc (0.28 KB)

expertalert at gmail

Nov 16, 2011, 4:58 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

Hi Andreas

Thanks for your response.
I read that link so many times. and tryed what its say.. but not luck
bellow what i have done so far ..

Denmkar link :
root [at] drbd-dr:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
10:home-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
11:data-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A

Uk link :

root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
0:home Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
1:data Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C

now I need to make syncronization bewtween Drbd-drs to Drbd1

Because its Split Brain according to document. I need to tell drbd1 to use
as secondary and syncronized from drbd-drs

so
in drbd1

root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm secondary --stacked data-U
11: Failure: (127) Device minor not allocated
Command 'drbdsetup 11 secondary' terminated with exit code 10

so its does not take the secondary command ..

in drbd-drs ( im teling it to be primary )

root [at] drbd-dr:~# drbdadm primary data-U
root [at] drbd-dr:~# drbdadm primary home-U

root [at] drbd-dr:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
10:home-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
11:data-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A

root [at] drbd-dr:~# drbdadm connect data-U
11: Failure: (125) Device has a net-config (use disconnect first)
Command 'drbdsetup 11 net 172.31.3.4:7789 172.31.2.4:7789 A --set-defaults
--create-device --shared-secret=secret' terminated with exit code 10

so it does take those spilit brain command ..
I am missign something but dont understand what .. what steps are those ..

thanks for your help

ff at mpexnet

Nov 16, 2011, 5:00 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

Hi,

On 11/16/2011 10:47 AM, fosiul alam wrote:
> root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status0:home Connected
> Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
> 1:data Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate

so if drbd1 is connected...

> Croot [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status0:home WFConnection
> Primary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C
> 1:data WFConnection Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C

...what is it connected to? I wonder.

Getting both your local nodes in Secondary/Secondary is fine. The you
must make one Primary and bring up the stacked resources.

If you do get split brain between your local stacked resources and the
remote resources, you do have to resolve it as hinted by Andreas.

Bear in mind that your victim has stacked resources, you will have to
discard its data using drbdadm --stacked.

HTH,
Felix

andreas at hastexo

Nov 16, 2011, 5:17 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

On 11/16/2011 01:58 PM, fosiul alam wrote:
> Hi Andreas
>
> Thanks for your response.
> I read that link so many times. and tryed what its say.. but not luck
> bellow what i have done so far ..
>
> Denmkar link :
> root [at] drbd-dr:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p mounted
> fstype
> 10:home-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
> 11:data-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
>
> Uk link :
>
> root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p mounted
> fstype
> 0:home Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
> 1:data Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C

You have to bring up the stacked resources in secondary mode on either
drbd1 or drbd2 ... without this step, there is no device drbd3 can
connect to.

Regards,
Andreas

--
Need help with DRBD?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

> now I need to make syncronization bewtween Drbd-drs to Drbd1
>
> Because its Split Brain according to document. I need to tell drbd1 to
> use as secondary and syncronized from drbd-drs
>
> so
> in drbd1
>

> root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm secondary --stacked data-U
> 11: Failure: (127) Device minor not allocated
> Command 'drbdsetup 11 secondary' terminated with exit code 10
>
> so its does not take the secondary command ..
>
> in drbd-drs ( im teling it to be primary )
>
> root [at] drbd-dr:~# drbdadm primary data-U
> root [at] drbd-dr:~# drbdadm primary home-U
>
> root [at] drbd-dr:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p mounted
> fstype
> 10:home-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
> 11:data-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
>
> root [at] drbd-dr:~# drbdadm connect data-U
> 11: Failure: (125) Device has a net-config (use disconnect first)
> Command 'drbdsetup 11 net 172.31.3.4:7789 <http://172.31.3.4:7789>
> 172.31.2.4:7789 <http://172.31.2.4:7789> A --set-defaults
> --create-device --shared-secret=secret' terminated with exit code 10
>

> so it does take those spilit brain command ..
> I am missign something but dont understand what .. what steps are those ..
>
> thanks for your help

Attachments: signature.asc (0.28 KB)

expertalert at gmail

Nov 16, 2011, 5:20 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

Hi Felix and *Andreas*

thanks, its working now .. but only thing i have done different this time
is invalidate the data in drbd1 ..

i will simulate the same process couple of time more.. and will come back
toyou ...

Thanks again on both

On 16 November 2011 13:00, Felix Frank <ff [at] mpexnet> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/16/2011 10:47 AM, fosiul alam wrote:
> > root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status0:home Connected
> > Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
> > 1:data Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate
>
> so if drbd1 is connected...
>
> > Croot [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status0:home WFConnection
> > Primary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C
> > 1:data WFConnection Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C
>
> ...what is it connected to? I wonder.
>
> Getting both your local nodes in Secondary/Secondary is fine. The you
> must make one Primary and bring up the stacked resources.
>
> If you do get split brain between your local stacked resources and the
> remote resources, you do have to resolve it as hinted by Andreas.
>
> Bear in mind that your victim has stacked resources, you will have to
> discard its data using drbdadm --stacked.
>
> HTH,
> Felix

expertalert at gmail

Nov 16, 2011, 5:41 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

Hi
I was trying to simulate the process again ..

Now when i tryed to make drbd1 as Secondary

root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p
mounted fstype
0:home Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
1:data Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
10:home-U^^0 StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
11:data-U^^1 StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----

Now as described in documentation..
in DRBD-DRS

root [at] drbd-dr:/# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
10:home-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
11:data-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
root [at] drbd-dr:/# drbdadm connect home-U
root [at] drbd-dr:/# drbdadm connect data-U

root [at] drbd-dr:/# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
10:home-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
11:data-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A

so its gone back to WFconnection ..

Shall do you want me to do ?

(a) I make primary on Low lever device on DRBD1
(B) I turn on Stacked device on DRBD1
(c) I set secondary on Stacked devices. (DRBD2)

so Again I am missing something ..

Please help me bit more ..
Thanks for your help

On 16 November 2011 13:20, fosiul alam <expertalert [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi Felix and *Andreas*
>
> thanks, its working now .. but only thing i have done different this time
> is invalidate the data in drbd1 ..
>
> i will simulate the same process couple of time more.. and will come back
> toyou ...
>
> Thanks again on both
>

> On 16 November 2011 13:00, Felix Frank <ff [at] mpexnet> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 11/16/2011 10:47 AM, fosiul alam wrote:
>> > root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status0:home Connected
>> > Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
>> > 1:data Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate
>>
>> so if drbd1 is connected...
>>
>> > Croot [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status0:home WFConnection
>> > Primary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C
>> > 1:data WFConnection Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C
>>
>> ...what is it connected to? I wonder.
>>
>> Getting both your local nodes in Secondary/Secondary is fine. The you
>> must make one Primary and bring up the stacked resources.
>>
>> If you do get split brain between your local stacked resources and the
>> remote resources, you do have to resolve it as hinted by Andreas.
>>
>> Bear in mind that your victim has stacked resources, you will have to
>> discard its data using drbdadm --stacked.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Felix

ff at mpexnet

Nov 16, 2011, 5:56 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

Hi,

On 11/16/2011 02:41 PM, fosiul alam wrote:
> (a) I make primary on Low lever device on DRBD1
> (B) I turn on Stacked device on DRBD1
> (c) I set secondary on Stacked devices. (DRBD2)

yes, you're missing the "drbdadm --stacked connect" (or, even better,
use "drbdadm --stacked up" in the first place).

Cheers,
Felix

andreas at hastexo

Nov 16, 2011, 5:58 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

On 11/16/2011 02:41 PM, fosiul alam wrote:
> Hi
> I was trying to simulate the process again ..
>
> Now when i tryed to make drbd1 as Secondary
>
> root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p
> mounted fstype
> 0:home Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
> 1:data Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
> 10:home-U^^0 StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
> 11:data-U^^1 StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----

fine ... so nearly ready for resync

> Now as described in documentation..
> in DRBD-DRS
>
> root [at] drbd-dr:/# /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p
> mounted fstype
> 10:home-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
> 11:data-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
> root [at] drbd-dr:/# drbdadm connect home-U
> root [at] drbd-dr:/# drbdadm connect data-U
>
> root [at] drbd-dr:/# /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p mounted
> fstype
> 10:home-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
> 11:data-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
>
> so its gone back to WFconnection ..

yes, because drbd2 is in Standalone mode ... so no drbd network
configuration on drbd2 ...

now you can execute the "drbdadm -S -- --discard-my-data connect
_stacked_resource_" cmd you read in DRBD users guide on drbd2 if you
want it to be Synctarget for drbd-drs.

Regards,
Andreas

--
Need help with DRBD?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

> Shall do you want me to do ?
>
> (a) I make primary on Low lever device on DRBD1
> (B) I turn on Stacked device on DRBD1
> (c) I set secondary on Stacked devices. (DRBD2)
>
> so Again I am missing something ..
>
> Please help me bit more ..
> Thanks for your help
>

> On 16 November 2011 13:20, fosiul alam <expertalert [at] gmail
> <mailto:expertalert [at] gmail>> wrote:
>
> Hi Felix and /Andreas/
>
> thanks, its working now .. but only thing i have done different this
> time is invalidate the data in drbd1 ..
>
> i will simulate the same process couple of time more.. and will come
> back toyou ...
>
> Thanks again on both
>

> On 16 November 2011 13:00, Felix Frank <ff [at] mpexnet
> <mailto:ff [at] mpexnet>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 11/16/2011 10:47 AM, fosiul alam wrote:
> > root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status0:home Connected
> > Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
> > 1:data Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate
>
> so if drbd1 is connected...
>
> > Croot [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status0:home WFConnection
> > Primary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C
> > 1:data WFConnection Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/Outdated C
>
> ...what is it connected to? I wonder.
>
> Getting both your local nodes in Secondary/Secondary is fine.
> The you
> must make one Primary and bring up the stacked resources.
>
> If you do get split brain between your local stacked resources
> and the
> remote resources, you do have to resolve it as hinted by Andreas.
>
> Bear in mind that your victim has stacked resources, you will
> have to
> discard its data using drbdadm --stacked.
>
> HTH,
> Felix

Attachments: signature.asc (0.28 KB)

expertalert at gmail

Nov 16, 2011, 7:19 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

Hi Flex

this is 3rd time, i simulate the whole thing ..

every time, I had to use

drbdadm invalidate --stacked data-U
drbdadm invalidate --stacked home-U

after that when I type

drbdadm connect --stacked data-U

and in

Drbd-dRS

drbdadm connect data-U

its starts to syncronized ..

why do i have have to use invalidate every time ??

as far i belived thats not the requirement for split brain ..

i will try one more time and will sent you step by step ..
thanks

On 16 November 2011 13:56, Felix Frank <ff [at] mpexnet> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/16/2011 02:41 PM, fosiul alam wrote:
> > (a) I make primary on Low lever device on DRBD1
> > (B) I turn on Stacked device on DRBD1
> > (c) I set secondary on Stacked devices. (DRBD2)
>
> yes, you're missing the "drbdadm --stacked connect" (or, even better,
> use "drbdadm --stacked up" in the first place).
>
> Cheers,
> Felix

expertalert at gmail

Nov 16, 2011, 7:53 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

Hi Flex :
bellow is my another simulation

i have put step by step , I execute command on both drbd1 and drbd-drs. i
have posted the output after each effect from both server.

DRBD1 and DRBD2 is OFF (uk is off)

DRBD-DRS is on and primary

root [at] drbd-dr:/# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
10:home-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
11:data-U WFConnection Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A

DRBd1 :

root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted fstype
0:home Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
1:data Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
root [at] drbd:~#

root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm up --stacked data-U
root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm up --stacked home-U

root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p
mounted fstype
0:home Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
1:data Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
10:home-U^^0 StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
11:data-U^^1 StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----

Afater I execute previous command, when i check DRBD-DRS :

root [at] drbd-dr:/# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
10:home-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
11:data-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----

DRBD1 ::

root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm connect --stacked data-U
root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm connect --stacked home-U
root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p
mounted fstype
0:home Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
1:data Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
10:home-U^^0 WFConnection Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A
11:data-U^^1 WFConnection Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown A

DRBD-DRS:

root [at] drbd-dr:/# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
10:home-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
11:data-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----

Now if i execute drbdadm connect on DRBD-DRS :

root [at] drbd-dr:/# drbdadm connect data-U
root [at] drbd-dr:/# drbdadm connect home-U
root [at] drbd-dr:/# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p mounted
fstype
10:home-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
11:data-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----

now output from DRBD1

root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p
mounted fstype
0:home Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
1:data Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
10:home-U^^0 StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
11:data-U^^1 StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----

So connect does not do anything ... ..

now if i invalidate .. in DRBD1

root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm invalidate --stacked data-U
root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm invalidate --stacked home-U

10:home-U^^0 StandAlone Secondary/Unknown Inconsistent/DUnknown r----
11:data-U^^1 StandAlone Secondary/Unknown Inconsistent/DUnknown r----
root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm connect --stacked data-U
root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm connect --stacked home-U
root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p
mounted fstype
0:home Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
1:data Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
10:home-U^^0 WFConnection Secondary/Unknown Inconsistent/DUnknown A
11:data-U^^1 WFConnection Secondary/Unknown Inconsistent/DUnknown A

Now in DRBD-DRS :

root [at] drbd-dr:/# drbdadm connect data-U
root [at] drbd-dr:/# drbdadm connect home-U
root [at] drbd-dr:/# /etc/init.d/drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
m:res cs ro ds p
mounted fstype
... sync'ed: 0.5% (4003612/4015896)K
... sync'ed: 2.2% (2061324/2104304)K
10:home-U SyncSource Primary/Secondary UpToDate/Inconsistent A
11:data-U SyncSource Primary/Secondary UpToDate/Inconsistent A

So BAsically

I need to invlidate data-U and home-U in DRBD1 ,

then drbdadm connect data-U

also
in DRBD-DRS : drbdadm connect data-U
drbdadm connect home-U

its trigers the syncronization...

but the DRBD documentaion does not saything ..

so what i am missign now ?

Hope fully it will make sense

On 16 November 2011 15:19, fosiul alam <expertalert [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi Flex
>
> this is 3rd time, i simulate the whole thing ..
>
> every time, I had to use
>
> drbdadm invalidate --stacked data-U
> drbdadm invalidate --stacked home-U
>
> after that when I type
>
> drbdadm connect --stacked data-U
>
> and in
>
> Drbd-dRS
>
> drbdadm connect data-U
>
> its starts to syncronized ..
>

> why do i have have to use invalidate every time ??
>
> as far i belived thats not the requirement for split brain ..
>
> i will try one more time and will sent you step by step ..
> thanks
>

> On 16 November 2011 13:56, Felix Frank <ff [at] mpexnet> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 11/16/2011 02:41 PM, fosiul alam wrote:
>> > (a) I make primary on Low lever device on DRBD1
>> > (B) I turn on Stacked device on DRBD1
>> > (c) I set secondary on Stacked devices. (DRBD2)
>>
>> yes, you're missing the "drbdadm --stacked connect" (or, even better,
>> use "drbdadm --stacked up" in the first place).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Felix

andreas at hastexo

Nov 16, 2011, 8:06 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

On 11/16/2011 04:53 PM, fosiul alam wrote:
> [...]
>
> Now if i execute drbdadm connect on DRBD-DRS :
>
> root [at] drbd-dr:/# drbdadm connect data-U
> root [at] drbd-dr:/# drbdadm connect home-U
> root [at] drbd-dr:/# /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p
> mounted fstype
> 10:home-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
> 11:data-U StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown r----
>
> now output from DRBD1
>
> root [at] drbd:~# /etc/init.d/drbd status
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.3.7 (api:88/proto:86-91)
> srcversion: EE47D8BF18AC166BE219757
> m:res cs ro ds p
> mounted fstype
> 0:home Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C
> 1:data Connected Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate C

Did you _really_ read this?

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-legacy/s-resolve-split-brain.html

I strongly doubt! ... there is really no need to invalidate and do a
full sync if this is "only" a split brain situation.

Regards,
Andreas

--
Need help with DRBD?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

> [...]
>
> drbdadm connect --stacked data-U
>
> and in
>
> Drbd-dRS
>
> drbdadm connect data-U
>
> its starts to syncronized ..
>

> why do i have have to use invalidate every time ??
>
> as far i belived thats not the requirement for split brain ..
>
> i will try one more time and will sent you step by step ..
> thanks
>

> On 16 November 2011 13:56, Felix Frank <ff [at] mpexnet
> <mailto:ff [at] mpexnet>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 11/16/2011 02:41 PM, fosiul alam wrote:
> > (a) I make primary on Low lever device on DRBD1
> > (B) I turn on Stacked device on DRBD1
> > (c) I set secondary on Stacked devices. (DRBD2)
>
> yes, you're missing the "drbdadm --stacked connect" (or, even
> better,
> use "drbdadm --stacked up" in the first place).

Need help with DRBD?
http://www.hastexo.com/now
Attachments: signature.asc (0.28 KB)

expertalert at gmail

Nov 16, 2011, 8:24 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

Hi Flex

yes i have read that link so many times...
but i guess my understanding was not good.

and i also did not read your last email properly..

root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm -S -- --discard-my-data connect data-U
root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm -S -- --discard-my-data connect home-U

according to drbd link

i tryed bellow command so many times but its say, command not found ..

drbdadm connect --discard-my-data <resource>

but when i tryed your command
drbdadm -S -- --discard-my-data connect data-U

it works.!!

whats is drbdadm -S ???

its look ok now.. but i will try few more times ..

andreas at hastexo

Nov 16, 2011, 11:11 AM

Re: How to recover data from node3 [In reply to]

On 11/16/2011 05:24 PM, fosiul alam wrote:
> Hi Flex
>
> yes i have read that link so many times...
> but i guess my understanding was not good.
>

> and i also did not read your last email properly..
>
> root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm -S -- --discard-my-data connect data-U
> root [at] drbd:~# drbdadm -S -- --discard-my-data connect home-U
>

> according to drbd link
>
> i tryed bellow command so many times but its say, command not found ..
>
> drbdadm connect --discard-my-data <resource>

this is the syntax for DRBD >= 8.4.0

> but when i tryed your command
> drbdadm -S -- --discard-my-data connect data-U

this is the correct syntax for DRBD 8.3.x ....
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-8.3/

> it works.!!
>
> whats is drbdadm -S ???

-S ... or --stacked

> its look ok now.. but i will try few more times ..

good to hear.

Regards,
Andreas

--