Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

POP3: message more than once received

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

h.reindl at thelounge

Jul 18, 2012, 1:32 AM

POP3: message more than once received

Hi

correct me, but usually a POP3 client receibes the
message-list and stores locally which IDs he has
downloaded if "leave on server is active"

AFAIK there are not any flags on the server side

currently we have a problem with a customer where
two persons check the same account - they receive
messages more than once

customer is pretty sure that this only happens when both
machines are online and checking the same mailbox - i am
pretty sure that this is impossible but learned in 10
years IT that nothing is impossible

any other opinion here?

dbmail-commit: 22b964b653ba149b63b9b6787aeac7803c2121e5

--

Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

h.reindl at thelounge

Jul 18, 2012, 2:46 AM

Re: POP3: message more than once received [In reply to]

unable to reproduce this here

i suspect any crappy firewall/antivirus/router on clients side
in the past years i saw many issues with "protection software"
mangling HTTP-responses so maybe the same for email

* generated 50 messages via php-script
* Outlook2003/2007/2010, Thunderbird, Opera, Outlook Express
* all client configured with the same POP3 account
* all with leave on server and check every minute

no single mail twice, no mail missing

strange.....................

Am 18.07.2012 10:32, schrieb Reindl Harald:
> Hi
>
> correct me, but usually a POP3 client receibes the
> message-list and stores locally which IDs he has
> downloaded if "leave on server is active"
>
> AFAIK there are not any flags on the server side
>
> currently we have a problem with a customer where
> two persons check the same account - they receive
> messages more than once
>
> customer is pretty sure that this only happens when both
> machines are online and checking the same mailbox - i am
> pretty sure that this is impossible but learned in 10
> years IT that nothing is impossible
>
> any other opinion here?
>
> dbmail-commit: 22b964b653ba149b63b9b6787aeac7803c2121e5

Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / CISO / Software-Development
p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

mysql.jorge at decimal

Jul 18, 2012, 6:01 AM

Re: POP3: message more than once received [In reply to]

> i suspect any crappy firewall/antivirus/router on clients side in the
> past years i saw many issues with "protection software"
> mangling HTTP-responses so maybe the same for email
>
> * generated 50 messages via php-script
> * Outlook2003/2007/2010, Thunderbird, Opera, Outlook Express
> * all client configured with the same POP3 account
> * all with leave on server and check every minute
>
> no single mail twice, no mail missing

Reindl,

Anvivirus POP3 proxy's do unbelievable things.
If AV is done by the server, tell clients to don't use it.