Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

MySQL 5.0 vs 5.5

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mysql.jorge at decimal

Jun 12, 2012, 3:52 PM

MySQL 5.0 vs 5.5

Howdy,

I'd like to collect some stats about MySQL versions.

Is there anyone who moved from MySQL 5.0 to 5.5 with 3.0x version?

Is there any performance impact? (5.1 has some performance problems)

Thanks in advanced,

Jorge,

harald.leithner at itronic

Jun 13, 2012, 1:16 AM

Re: MySQL 5.0 vs 5.5 [In reply to]

Hi Jorge,

I upgraded form dbmail 2.2 to 3.0 and mysql 5.0 to percona server 5.5 but
on a new hardware so I couldn't give you any good information about
performance but I think Reindl Harald may have some information about the
innodb compressed feature in mysql 5.5.

regards,

Harald Leithner

Am 13.06.2012, 00:52 Uhr, schrieb Jorge Bastos <mysql.jorge [at] decimal>:

> Howdy,
>

> I'd like to collect some stats about MySQL versions.
>

> Is there anyone who moved from MySQL 5.0 to 5.5 with 3.0x version?
>
> Is there any performance impact? (5.1 has some performance problems)
>

> Thanks in advanced,
>
> Jorge,

pegasus at nerv

Jun 13, 2012, 1:18 AM

Re: MySQL 5.0 vs 5.5 [In reply to]

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 23:52:04 +0100
"Jorge Bastos" <mysql.jorge [at] decimal> wrote:

> Is there anyone who moved from MySQL 5.0 to 5.5 with 3.0x version?
>
> Is there any performance impact? (5.1 has some performance problems)

We use Percona build and have no problems with 5.1.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org

h.reindl at thelounge

Jun 13, 2012, 2:05 AM

Re: MySQL 5.0 vs 5.5 [In reply to]

Am 13.06.2012 10:16, schrieb ITronic Harald Leithner:
> Hi Jorge,
>
> I upgraded form dbmail 2.2 to 3.0 and mysql 5.0 to percona server 5.5 but on a new hardware so I couldn't give you
> any good information about performance but I think Reindl Harald may have some information about the innodb
> compressed feature in mysql 5.5

these are my innodb-settings with MySQL 5.5 on a machine
with 9500 MB RAM (VMware ESXi) and around 8.75 GB messages
reduced to 6.51 due compressed tables

these settings combined with upgrade to 5.5 made
our dbmail setup much faster as before

we are using compressed tables since 2009 / MySQL 5.1
in 5.1 you needed innodb_plugin, 5.5 supports native

be aware you need "innodb_file_per_table" for this feature

innodb_buffer_pool_size = 3072M
innodb_buffer_pool_instances = 3
innodb_purge_threads = 1
innodb_max_purge_lag = 200000
innodb_max_dirty_pages_pct = 60
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 64M
innodb_log_file_size = 512M
innodb_log_buffer_size = 256M
innodb_thread_concurrency = 32
innodb_thread_sleep_delay = 10
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 2
innodb_support_xa = 1
innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 50
innodb_table_locks = 0
innodb_checksums = 0
innodb_file_format = barracuda
innodb_file_per_table = 1
innodb_open_files = 600
innodb_io_capacity = 300
innodb_read_io_threads = 8
innodb_write_io_threads = 8
transaction-isolation = READ-COMMITTED
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

mysql.jorge at decimal

Jun 13, 2012, 1:23 PM

Re: MySQL 5.0 vs 5.5 [In reply to]

Hi Both,

Thanks for your feedback's!

Jorge,

Jun 13, 2012, 2:51 PM

Re: MySQL 5.0 vs 5.5 [In reply to]

One extra info, for both,

Wich are the DB size each of you have?
I have 120GB now, InnoDB, with file_per_table.

Jorge,s

> we are using compressed tables since 2009 / MySQL 5.1 in 5.1 you needed
> innodb_plugin, 5.5 supports native
>
> be aware you need "innodb_file_per_table" for this feature
>
> innodb_buffer_pool_size = 3072M
> innodb_buffer_pool_instances = 3
> innodb_purge_threads = 1
> innodb_max_purge_lag = 200000
> innodb_max_dirty_pages_pct = 60
> innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 64M
> innodb_log_file_size = 512M
> innodb_log_buffer_size = 256M
> innodb_thread_concurrency = 32
> innodb_thread_sleep_delay = 10
> innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 2
> innodb_support_xa = 1
> innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 50
> innodb_table_locks = 0
> innodb_checksums = 0
> innodb_file_format = barracuda
> innodb_file_per_table = 1
> innodb_open_files = 600
> innodb_io_capacity = 300
> innodb_read_io_threads = 8
> innodb_write_io_threads = 8
> transaction-isolation = READ-COMMITTED

h.reindl at thelounge

Jun 13, 2012, 3:23 PM

Re: MySQL 5.0 vs 5.5 [In reply to]

around 10 GB and 60000 messages

e-mail is not our core business, it's only to provide all
services at once (domain,dns,design, development,web...)

but i am pretty sure you will also benefit from compression
with 120 GB as long you are not cpu-bound because lesser
disk-IO

"innodb_io_capacity" may also make a difference
it is io/per-second in whcih SAN-storages are measured

Am 13.06.2012 23:51, schrieb Jorge Bastos:
> One extra info, for both,
>
> Wich are the DB size each of you have?
> I have 120GB now, InnoDB, with file_per_table.
>
> Jorge,s
>
>> we are using compressed tables since 2009 / MySQL 5.1 in 5.1 you needed
>> innodb_plugin, 5.5 supports native
>>
>> be aware you need "innodb_file_per_table" for this feature
>>
>> innodb_buffer_pool_size = 3072M
>> innodb_buffer_pool_instances = 3
>> innodb_purge_threads = 1
>> innodb_max_purge_lag = 200000
>> innodb_max_dirty_pages_pct = 60
>> innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 64M
>> innodb_log_file_size = 512M
>> innodb_log_buffer_size = 256M
>> innodb_thread_concurrency = 32
>> innodb_thread_sleep_delay = 10
>> innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 2
>> innodb_support_xa = 1
>> innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 50
>> innodb_table_locks = 0
>> innodb_checksums = 0
>> innodb_file_format = barracuda
>> innodb_file_per_table = 1
>> innodb_open_files = 600
>> innodb_io_capacity = 300
>> innodb_read_io_threads = 8
>> innodb_write_io_threads = 8
>> transaction-isolation = READ-COMMITTED

--

Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / CISO / Software-Development
p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

harald.leithner at itronic

Jun 14, 2012, 5:17 AM

Re: MySQL 5.0 vs 5.5 [In reply to]

About 70Gb without compression but with file_per_table with about 320000
messages.