Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

lmtpd on mailbox full, 522 or 422?

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

leandro at texnet

lmtpd on mailbox full, 522 or 422?

Hello,
I noticed that when the SMTP daemon is trying to deliver a message to
dbmail lmtpd and the mailbox is full, lmtpd answers with a

522 Recipient <*****> Permanent Failure Mailbox Status Mailbox full

Unfortunately, using exim (but maybe with other MTA), the message is
discarded, immediately.

Maybe it can be more correct to have lmtpd answers with just a 422
(Quota Exceeded) because the mailbox full is not a "permanent"
condition: if the user delete some message, the message can be
delivered. It will be very useful to have exim retry later to deliver
the message.

Leandro

h.reindl at thelounge

Re: lmtpd on mailbox full, 522 or 422? [In reply to]

Am 10.04.2012 16:00, schrieb Leandro:
> Hello,
> I noticed that when the SMTP daemon is trying to deliver a message to
> dbmail lmtpd and the mailbox is full, lmtpd answers with a
>
> 522 Recipient <*****> Permanent Failure Mailbox Status Mailbox full
>
> Unfortunately, using exim (but maybe with other MTA), the message is
> discarded, immediately.
>
> Maybe it can be more correct to have lmtpd answers with just a 422
> (Quota Exceeded) because the mailbox full is not a "permanent"
> condition: if the user delete some message, the message can be
> delivered. It will be very useful to have exim retry later to deliver
> the message.

not really

you do not want delivery-tries the whole day for the same messages
if it would be a 4xx postfix/exim would accept the message and
try over and over to deliver

the hard-bounce informs the sender that the mailbox is full
and this way completly ignorant users take notice in the
one or another form and you do not queue messages for
completly orphaned accounts

this is normally not a big problem, only few users are
having quota exceeded (repeatly) and the sense of the
quota is to control disk-usage, this does not work if
you still accept messages and queue them on your disk
for days
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

leandro at texnet

Re: lmtpd on mailbox full, 522 or 422? [In reply to]

Il giorno mar, 10/04/2012 alle 16.18 +0200, Reindl Harald ha scritto:

> Am 10.04.2012 16:00, schrieb Leandro:
> > Hello,
> > I noticed that when the SMTP daemon is trying to deliver a message to
> > dbmail lmtpd and the mailbox is full, lmtpd answers with a
> >
> > 522 Recipient <*****> Permanent Failure Mailbox Status Mailbox full
> >
> > Unfortunately, using exim (but maybe with other MTA), the message is
> > discarded, immediately.
> >
> > Maybe it can be more correct to have lmtpd answers with just a 422
> > (Quota Exceeded) because the mailbox full is not a "permanent"
> > condition: if the user delete some message, the message can be
> > delivered. It will be very useful to have exim retry later to deliver
> > the message.
>
> not really
>
> you do not want delivery-tries the whole day for the same messages
> if it would be a 4xx postfix/exim would accept the message and
> try over and over to deliver
>
> the hard-bounce informs the sender that the mailbox is full
> and this way completly ignorant users take notice in the
> one or another form and you do not queue messages for
> completly orphaned accounts
>
> this is normally not a big problem, only few users are
> having quota exceeded (repeatly) and the sense of the
> quota is to control disk-usage, this does not work if
> you still accept messages and queue them on your disk
> for days

You are right, having postfix or exim try delivering the message
multiple times is not nice. However is even not nice to have to say to a
collegue his messages are completely lost if he miss (or ignore) the
alert email on quota almost reached.

Our old system will store overquota emails for just 72 hours (the freeze
time of exim) before discarding. This way the user can get his "last 72
hours of emails" when he starts deleting his old messages freeing the
mailbox.

Having dbmail-lmtpd answers with a 422 will let each of us to decide on
postfix/exim configuration how to handle overquota emails, how many
hours of days to queue them and when to throw them away.

Leandro

Leandro

mysql.jorge at decimal

Re: lmtpd on mailbox full, 522 or 422? [In reply to]

Howdy,

> You are right, having postfix or exim try delivering the message
> multiple times is not nice. However is even not nice to have to say to
> a collegue his messages are completely lost if he miss (or ignore) the
> alert email on quota almost reached.
>
> Our old system will store overquota emails for just 72 hours (the
> freeze time of exim) before discarding. This way the user can get his
> "last 72 hours of emails" when he starts deleting his old messages
> freeing the mailbox.
>
> Having dbmail-lmtpd answers with a 422 will let each of us to decide on
> postfix/exim configuration how to handle overquota emails, how many
> hours of days to queue them and when to throw them away.

My 2 cents on this, I think that if this could be configurable in
dbmail.conf would be nice.
For my case, normally if a users mailbox's full, people will contact by
phone or other to warn the receipient.
But if dbmail-lmtpd could return another code to have postfix deliver the
emails when the mailbox has more space, would be nice also.

paul at nfg

Re: lmtpd on mailbox full, 522 or 422? [In reply to]

On 04/10/2012 06:20 PM, Jorge Bastos wrote:

> My 2 cents on this, I think that if this could be configurable in
> dbmail.conf would be nice.

Making this configurable is the way to go. On it.

mysql.jorge at decimal

Re: lmtpd on mailbox full, 522 or 422? [In reply to]

> > My 2 cents on this, I think that if this could be configurable in
> > dbmail.conf would be nice.
>
> Making this configurable is the way to go. On it.

Thank you Paul,

You're the best!