Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

Imapd crash

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

harald.leithner at itronic

Imapd crash

Hi,

today my imapd crashed with the following message:
Apr 2 12:10:26 mailstore kernel: [4393934.966925] dbmail-imapd[21452]:
segfault at 0 ip 00007faead3468ea sp 00007fae9b5b1c20 error 4 in
libdbmail.so.0.0.0[7faead329000+5c000]

I think with this informations no body can help me, so its just for the
record.

Regards,

Harald

h.reindl at thelounge

Re: Imapd crash [In reply to]

imapd has currently memory leaks and is growing over
some hundret MB up to > 1 GB memory after few days

the crash is easy to solve by systemd-autorestart
last sunday it stopped accepting connections around
12AM and i happily was in front of my machine for
restart the daemon - in this state all mail-clients
start to ask for the password again :-(

i am restarting the dbmail-imapd currently each night
at 3:00 AM since this day to have it rock stable
there is dovecot as proxy in front reconnect without
users notice anything

Am 02.04.2012 12:27, schrieb ITronic Harald Leithner:
> Hi,
>
> today my imapd crashed with the following message:
> Apr 2 12:10:26 mailstore kernel: [4393934.966925] dbmail-imapd[21452]: segfault at 0 ip 00007faead3468ea sp
> 00007fae9b5b1c20 error 4 in libdbmail.so.0.0.0[7faead329000+5c000]
>
> I think with this informations no body can help me, so its just for the record.
>
> Regards,
> Harald
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

harald.leithner at itronic

Re: Imapd crash [In reply to]

hmm... daily restarting is a good workaround for now.

thx
Harald

Am 02.04.2012, 12:32 Uhr, schrieb Reindl Harald <h.reindl [at] thelounge>:

> imapd has currently memory leaks and is growing over
> some hundret MB up to > 1 GB memory after few days
>
> the crash is easy to solve by systemd-autorestart
> last sunday it stopped accepting connections around
> 12AM and i happily was in front of my machine for
> restart the daemon - in this state all mail-clients
> start to ask for the password again :-(
>
> i am restarting the dbmail-imapd currently each night
> at 3:00 AM since this day to have it rock stable
> there is dovecot as proxy in front reconnect without
> users notice anything
>
> Am 02.04.2012 12:27, schrieb ITronic Harald Leithner:
>> Hi,
>>
>> today my imapd crashed with the following message:
>> Apr 2 12:10:26 mailstore kernel: [4393934.966925] dbmail-imapd[21452]:
>> segfault at 0 ip 00007faead3468ea sp
>> 00007fae9b5b1c20 error 4 in libdbmail.so.0.0.0[7faead329000+5c000]
>>
>> I think with this informations no body can help me, so its just for the
>> record.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Harald

skraps at hushmail

Re: Imapd crash [In reply to]

If you don't want to restart the service manually by hand to recover
from a crash you can always take advantage of daemon tools, by dj
berstien. It is a set of tools that monitor a process and restart it
in the event that the process stops working.

That is a temporary fix until a patch is released to fix the
problem....

cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

On 04/02/2012 at 6:43 AM, ITronic Harald Leithner wrote:hmm... daily
restarting is a good workaround for now.

thx
Harald

Am 02.04.2012, 12:32 Uhr, schrieb Reindl Harald :

> imapd has currently memory leaks and is growing over
> some hundret MB up to > 1 GB memory after few days
>
> the crash is easy to solve by systemd-autorestart
> last sunday it stopped accepting connections around
> 12AM and i happily was in front of my machine for
> restart the daemon - in this state all mail-clients
> start to ask for the password again :-(
>
> i am restarting the dbmail-imapd currently each night
> at 3:00 AM since this day to have it rock stable
> there is dovecot as proxy in front reconnect without
> users notice anything
>
> Am 02.04.2012 12:27, schrieb ITronic Harald Leithner:
>> Hi,
>>
>> today my imapd crashed with the following message:
>> Apr 2 12:10:26 mailstore kernel: [4393934.966925]
dbmail-imapd[21452]:
>> segfault at 0 ip 00007faead3468ea sp
>> 00007fae9b5b1c20 error 4 in libdbmail.so.0.0.0[7faead329000+5c000]
>>
>> I think with this informations no body can help me, so its just for
the
>> record.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Harald

h.reindl at thelounge

Re: Imapd crash [In reply to]

this is not needed on machines with systemd

the daily restart is to prevent IMAPd crash after
some days and eating up the servers RAM what can
lead to OOM-killer troubles under pressure

better a scheudled regular restart than random crash

what all this can not fix is having the process
running but in a disfunctional state like last
sunday

[root [at] mai:~]$ cat /lib/systemd/system/dbmail-imapd.service
[Unit]
Description=DBMail IMAP Server
After=mysqld.service
Before=dovecot.service
[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dbmail-imapd -D
Restart=always
RestartSec=1
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Am 04.04.2012 03:17, schrieb skraps [at] hushmail:
> If you don't want to restart the service manually by hand to recover from a crash you can always take advantage of
> daemon tools, by dj berstien. It is a set of tools that monitor a process and restart it in the event that the
> process stops working.
>
> That is a temporary fix until a patch is released to fix the problem....
>
> cr.yp.to/*daemontools*.html
>

> On 04/02/2012 at 6:43 AM, ITronic Harald Leithner <harald.leithner [at] itronic> wrote:
>
> hmm... daily restarting is a good workaround for now.
>
> thx
> Harald
>
> Am 02.04.2012, 12:32 Uhr, schrieb Reindl Harald <h.reindl [at] thelounge>:
>
> > imapd has currently memory leaks and is growing over
> > some hundret MB up to > 1 GB memory after few days
> >
> > the crash is easy to solve by systemd-autorestart
> > last sunday it stopped accepting connections around
> > 12AM and i happily was in front of my machine for
> > restart the daemon - in this state all mail-clients
> > start to ask for the password again :-(
> >
> > i am restarting the dbmail-imapd currently each night
> > at 3:00 AM since this day to have it rock stable
> > there is dovecot as proxy in front reconnect without
> > users notice anything
> >
> > Am 02.04.2012 12:27, schrieb ITronic Harald Leithner:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> today my imapd crashed with the following message:
> >> Apr 2 12:10:26 mailstore kernel: [4393934.966925] dbmail-imapd[21452]:
> >> segfault at 0 ip 00007faead3468ea sp
> >> 00007fae9b5b1c20 error 4 in libdbmail.so.0.0.0[7faead329000+5c000]
> >>
> >> I think with this informations no body can help me, so its just for the
> >> record.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Harald

Mit besten Grüßen, Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / software-development / cms-solutions
p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

douglas.m.stanley at gmail

Re: Imapd crash [In reply to]

There's also supervisord which can monitor things like memory usage too.
You need to be able to run the daemon in the foreground to use it though.

Doug
On Apr 3, 2012 9:18 PM, <skraps [at] hushmail> wrote:

> If you don't want to restart the service manually by hand to recover from
> a crash you can always take advantage of daemon tools, by dj berstien. It
> is a set of tools that monitor a process and restart it in the event that
> the process stops working.
>
> That is a temporary fix until a patch is released to fix the problem....
>
> cr.yp.to/*daemontools*.html
>

> On 04/02/2012 at 6:43 AM, ITronic Harald Leithner <
> harald.leithner [at] itronic> wrote:
>
> hmm... daily restarting is a good workaround for now.
>
> thx
> Harald
>
> Am 02.04.2012, 12:32 Uhr, schrieb Reindl Harald <h.reindl [at] thelounge>:
>
> > imapd has currently memory leaks and is growing over
> > some hundret MB up to > 1 GB memory after few days
> >
> > the crash is easy to solve by systemd-autorestart
> > last sunday it stopped accepting connections around
> > 12AM and i happily was in front of my machine for
> > restart the daemon - in this state all mail-clients
> > start to ask for the password again :-(
> >
> > i am restarting the dbmail-imapd currently each night
> > at 3:00 AM since this day to have it rock stable
> > there is dovecot as proxy in front reconnect without
> > users notice anything
> >
> > Am 02.04.2012 12:27, schrieb ITronic Harald Leithner:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> today my imapd crashed with the following message:
> >> Apr 2 12:10:26 mailstore kernel: [4393934.966925] dbmail-imapd[21452]:
> >> segfault at 0 ip 00007faead3468ea sp
> >> 00007fae9b5b1c20 error 4 in libdbmail.so.0.0.0[7faead329000+5c000]
> >>
> >> I think with this informations no body can help me, so its just for the
> >> record.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Harald

paul at nfg

Re: Imapd crash [In reply to]

On 04/04/2012 01:19 PM, Douglas Stanley wrote:
> There's also supervisord which can monitor things like memory usage too.
> You need to be able to run the daemon in the foreground to use it though.

That's what the -D switch is for on all daemons: to support running from
inittab/daemontools/supervisord/whatever