Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

h.reindl at thelounge

dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken

on our roundcube sort by date is still broken completly
see screenshot - thunderbird is not affected

IMAP feels more and more like a gambling machine by
notice each client with a different behavior for
the same basic-tasks :-(
______________________

roundcubemail-0.7.2-3.fc16.20120326.rh.noarch
the setps below were done last weekend

database:
SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0;
TRUNCATE `dbmail_header`;
TRUNCATE `dbmail_headername`;
TRUNCATE `dbmail_headervalue`;
SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=1;

terminal:
dbmail-util -by
Attachments: screen.png (3.78 KB)
  signature.asc (0.26 KB)

paul at nfg

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

I tested roundcube (0.3.1-3 ubuntu/lucid) myself, and I'm unable to
reproduce this.

Makes me wonder what IMAP command (SORT most likely) roundcube is using
on your installation.

On 04/04/2012 01:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> on our roundcube sort by date is still broken completly
> see screenshot - thunderbird is not affected
>
> IMAP feels more and more like a gambling machine by
> notice each client with a different behavior for
> the same basic-tasks :-(
> ______________________
>
> roundcubemail-0.7.2-3.fc16.20120326.rh.noarch
> the setps below were done last weekend
>
> database:
> SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0;
> TRUNCATE `dbmail_header`;
> TRUNCATE `dbmail_headername`;
> TRUNCATE `dbmail_headervalue`;
> SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=1;
>
> terminal:
> dbmail-util -by

h.reindl at thelounge

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

hmm - i have the same behavior in horde3 on this
account - sort by date and revert direction does
something but in both directions wrong

Am 04.04.2012 13:18, schrieb Paul J Stevens:

> I tested roundcube (0.3.1-3 ubuntu/lucid) myself, and I'm unable to
> reproduce this.
>
> Makes me wonder what IMAP command (SORT most likely) roundcube is using
> on your installation.
>
> On 04/04/2012 01:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> on our roundcube sort by date is still broken completly
>> see screenshot - thunderbird is not affected
>>
>> IMAP feels more and more like a gambling machine by
>> notice each client with a different behavior for
>> the same basic-tasks :-(
>> ______________________
>>
>> roundcubemail-0.7.2-3.fc16.20120326.rh.noarch
>> the setps below were done last weekend
>>
>> database:
>> SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0;
>> TRUNCATE `dbmail_header`;
>> TRUNCATE `dbmail_headername`;
>> TRUNCATE `dbmail_headervalue`;
>> SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=1;
>>
>> terminal:
>> dbmail-util -by

Mit besten Grüßen, Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / software-development / cms-solutions
p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

h.reindl at thelounge

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

i truncated header tables followed by "dbmail-util -by"
on a staging machine which has no users connected

see screenshot - definitly broken

Am 04.04.2012 13:20, schrieb Reindl Harald:
> hmm - i have the same behavior in horde3 on this
> account - sort by date and revert direction does
> something but in both directions wrong
>
> Am 04.04.2012 13:18, schrieb Paul J Stevens:
>>
>> I tested roundcube (0.3.1-3 ubuntu/lucid) myself, and I'm unable to
>> reproduce this.
>>
>> Makes me wonder what IMAP command (SORT most likely) roundcube is using
>> on your installation.
>>
>> On 04/04/2012 01:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> on our roundcube sort by date is still broken completly
>>> see screenshot - thunderbird is not affected
>>>
>>> IMAP feels more and more like a gambling machine by
>>> notice each client with a different behavior for
>>> the same basic-tasks :-(
>>> ______________________
>>>
>>> roundcubemail-0.7.2-3.fc16.20120326.rh.noarch
>>> the setps below were done last weekend
>>>
>>> database:
>>> SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0;
>>> TRUNCATE `dbmail_header`;
>>> TRUNCATE `dbmail_headername`;
>>> TRUNCATE `dbmail_headervalue`;
>>> SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=1;
>>>
>>> terminal:
>>> dbmail-util -by

Mit besten Grüßen, Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
CTO / software-development / cms-solutions
p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm
Attachments: screen.png (7.74 KB)
  signature.asc (0.26 KB)

harald.leithner at itronic

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

For me it works perfect after cache reset, running roundcube 0.7.1

Harald, maybe test it with telnet, or you use imapproxy to log the
communication between Roundcube and dbmail-imapd (as i did)

You sould see a command coming from Roundcube like this:

A0000 UID SORT (DATE) US-ASCII ALL

this returns:

* SORT 3228855 3228856 3463460
A0006 OK UID SORT completed

This order is used by roundcube to display the messages.

Am 04.04.2012, 14:47 Uhr, schrieb Reindl Harald <h.reindl [at] thelounge>:

> i truncated header tables followed by "dbmail-util -by"
> on a staging machine which has no users connected
>
> see screenshot - definitly broken
>
> Am 04.04.2012 13:20, schrieb Reindl Harald:
>> hmm - i have the same behavior in horde3 on this
>> account - sort by date and revert direction does
>> something but in both directions wrong
>>
>> Am 04.04.2012 13:18, schrieb Paul J Stevens:
>>>
>>> I tested roundcube (0.3.1-3 ubuntu/lucid) myself, and I'm unable to
>>> reproduce this.
>>>
>>> Makes me wonder what IMAP command (SORT most likely) roundcube is using
>>> on your installation.

h.reindl at thelounge

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

Am 04.04.2012 15:16, schrieb ITronic Harald Leithner:
> For me it works perfect after cache reset, running roundcube 0.7.1
>
> Harald, maybe test it with telnet, or you use imapproxy to log the communication between Roundcube and dbmail-imapd
> (as i did)

where is the secret how to turn on logging?
"may only be turned on for one user at a time"
WTF - and how do i specify the user? :-)

http://www.docunext.com/wiki/Imapproxy_example_configuration_file

## protocol_log_filename
##
## protocol logging may only be turned on for one user at a time. All
## protocol logging data is written to the file specified by this path.
#
protocol_log_filename /var/log/imapproxy_protocol.log

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

I have no idea why they used this strange method...

anyway you need to activate admin commands and logging in the config file:
enable_admin_commands yes
protocol_log_filename /var/log/imapproxy_protocol.log

then you need to connect with telnet
telnet 127.0.0.1 143

now you can activate the user you want to log:
a001 XPROXY_TRACE <username>

if you want to deactived the logging use:
a001 XPROXY_TRACE

the complete documentation for this is in the README file in the download
package.

regards,

Harald

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

thank you!

i found only this non working method
http://englanders.us/~jason/howtos.php?howto=up-imapproxy

i sent paul a full protocol-log of one of my users
with perpissions of him (her) and a screenshot

strange - there are messages from 2010/2011/2012
in more or less randomly order meaning recent
somewhere between old ones without any system

change asc/desc seems to revert the order
(hard to ay with some hundret messages)
but with the same mix

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

Looking at those logs I see:

SORT returns a set of UIDS. ok.
next FETCH only fetches a small sub-set which seems to be nicely sorted
by DATE as specified by the SORT.

Looking at my own roundcube installation: it caches message metadata
like date headers. Could that be causing havoc here?

h.reindl at thelounge

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

Am 06.04.2012 13:48, schrieb Paul J Stevens:
> Looking at those logs I see:
>
> SORT returns a set of UIDS. ok.
> next FETCH only fetches a small sub-set which seems to be nicely sorted
> by DATE as specified by the SORT.
>
> Looking at my own roundcube installation: it caches message metadata
> like date headers. Could that be causing havoc here?

definitly no

what makes me wonder is that i tried yet another
account in roudcube which seemed to be fine at
first login

but after first click on the date column the
same behavior and no chance to get the list
ever sorted again
___________________________

i truncated the cache-tables of horde and roundcube and on
the staging server roundcube never saw this user account
before i logged in after problem report and permission of
the user

i see the same behavior for this account on both webmails
to make it more confusing both behave with a different
wrong sort - in horde both sort-directions do not show
any message of this year on top, roundcube shows my
offlist mail from yesterday as first message on top
but there are unread messages of this year somewhere
below between way older mails

with thunderbird all looks OK

if this only would affect roundcubemail i would make
a bugreport there but since horde/imp and roundcubemail
are both broken the same way with this account having
271 messages in the inbox makes it hard to believe
that it is only a client problem
Attachments: horde.png (9.77 KB)
  roundcube.png (10.1 KB)
  signature.asc (0.26 KB)

h.reindl at thelounge

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

Am 06.04.2012 13:48, schrieb Paul J Stevens:
> Looking at those logs I see:
>
> SORT returns a set of UIDS. ok.
> next FETCH only fetches a small sub-set which seems to be nicely sorted
> by DATE as specified by the SORT.
>
> Looking at my own roundcube installation: it caches message metadata
> like date headers. Could that be causing havoc here?

BTW

there are tons of reports of such problems and mostly
all answers saying the server does something wrong

https://www.google.at/search?q=roundcube+wrong+sort+by+date

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

Harry,

I just pushed a small fix that fixes a SORT test I missed.

Please try it, it might actually help.

h.reindl at thelounge

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

Am 06.04.2012 21:25, schrieb Paul J Stevens:

> Harry,
>
> I just pushed a small fix that fixes a SORT test I missed.
>
> Please try it, it might actually help.

where?

http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/log/
does even not contain 3.0.2 tag

Re: dbmail 3.0.2: sort in roundcube still broken [In reply to]

On 04/06/2012 09:36 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 06.04.2012 21:25, schrieb Paul J Stevens:
>>
>> Harry,
>>
>> I just pushed a small fix that fixes a SORT test I missed.
>>
>> Please try it, it might actually help.
>
> where?
>
> http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/log/
> does even not contain 3.0.2 tag

the tag is on the dbmail_3_0 branch

http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/log/?h=dbmail_3_0

commit:

http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/commit/?h=dbmail_3_0

h.reindl at thelounge

Re: fixed: sort in roundcube (and maybe other clients) [In reply to]

Am 06.04.2012 21:57, schrieb Paul J Stevens:
> On 04/06/2012 09:36 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 06.04.2012 21:25, schrieb Paul J Stevens:
>>>
>>> I just pushed a small fix that fixes a SORT test I missed.
>>> Please try it, it might actually help.
>>
>> where?
>> http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/log/
>> does even not contain 3.0.2 tag
>
> the tag is on the dbmail_3_0 branch
> http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/log/?h=dbmail_3_0
>
> commit:
> http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/commit/?h=dbmail_3_0

thank you for help satisfy a nice girl with her email
roundcube's happy and hopefully she too after waking up :-)

horde was a little strange until i changed "message per page"
even after truncacte "horde_cache"-table but who knows
what this bloatware removed from our servers end of this
month is doing....

BTW:
at the same time you proposed the fix she pinged me
that iphone was also affected the same way

* correct view at the first time
* after sort by date random order

i guess this is fixed too, she gone to sleep and
i hope for feedback tomorrow to let you know

[root [at] mai:~]$ rpm -q dbmail
dbmail-3.0.2-3.fc16.20120406.rh.9e2f272541621d898d9485bfbf43818d7dce708c.x86_64

Regards
Harry
Attachments: horde.png (8.85 KB)
  roundcube.png (11.8 KB)
  signature.asc (0.26 KB)

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded