Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

exim lmtp delivery to named folder with dbmail?

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

koye at ekaria

Mar 27, 2012, 10:33 AM

exim lmtp delivery to named folder with dbmail?

I operate a system with nearly a ~1M user accounts. Currently our exim servers deliver via pipe to dbmail-smtp, but I recently found out about the LMTP protocol/dbmail_lmtpd. It sounds like it has a number of benefits, but I need to be able to deliver to alternate folders besides the default inbox.. Is there a mechanism within the protocol for accomplishing this? Or an Exim-specific way? I am combing through search results but not finding much useful information (do I HAVE to use sieve?).

Any helpful information is appreciated.

-Kris

jesse at kci

Mar 27, 2012, 11:01 AM

Re: exim lmtp delivery to named folder with dbmail? [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 17:33 +0000, Kris Oye wrote:

> I operate a system with nearly a ~1M user accounts. Currently our
> exim servers deliver via pipe to dbmail-smtp, but I recently found out
> about the LMTP protocol/dbmail_lmtpd. It sounds like it has a number
> of benefits, but I need to be able to deliver to alternate folders
> besides the default inbox. Is there a mechanism within the protocol
> for accomplishing this? Or an Exim-specific way? I am combing
> through search results but not finding much useful information (do I
> HAVE to use sieve?).

I've not tried it lately, but there used to be support for deliverying
to a user+folder [at] domain type address, eg. see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/dbmail/users/20942 (note, VERY old
dbmail in use there). Maybe that'll get you another option to look at.

--
Jesse Norell
Kentec Communications, Inc.

h.reindl at thelounge

Mar 27, 2012, 11:06 AM

Re: exim lmtp delivery to named folder with dbmail? [In reply to]

Am 27.03.2012 19:33, schrieb Kris Oye:
> I operate a system with nearly a ~1M user accounts. Currently our exim servers deliver via pipe to dbmail-smtp,
> but I recently found out about the LMTP protocol/dbmail_lmtpd. It sounds like it has a number of benefits, but I
> need to be able to deliver to alternate folders besides the default inbox. Is there a mechanism within the
> protocol for accomplishing this? Or an Exim-specific way? I am combing through search results but not finding
> much useful information (do I HAVE to use sieve?)

Sieve -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_%28mail_filtering_language%29

[harry [at] r:~]$ systemctl status dbmail-timsieved.service
dbmail-timsieved.service - DBMail SIEVE Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dbmail-timsieved.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:52:20 +0200; 9h ago
Main PID: 3796 (dbmail-timsieve)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/dbmail-timsieved.service
└ 3796 /usr/sbin/dbmail-timsieved -D
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

paul at nfg

Mar 27, 2012, 11:18 AM

Re: exim lmtp delivery to named folder with dbmail? [In reply to]

On 03/27/2012 08:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 27.03.2012 19:33, schrieb Kris Oye:
>> I operate a system with nearly a ~1M user accounts. Currently our exim servers deliver via pipe to dbmail-smtp,
>> but I recently found out about the LMTP protocol/dbmail_lmtpd. It sounds like it has a number of benefits, but I
>> need to be able to deliver to alternate folders besides the default inbox. Is there a mechanism within the
>> protocol for accomplishing this? Or an Exim-specific way? I am combing through search results but not finding
>> much useful information (do I HAVE to use sieve?)
>
> Sieve -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_%28mail_filtering_language%29

There is also native filtering. Not as powerfull as sieve for most
use-cases, but it has global filters, which sieve doesn't have.

doc/README.filters

DBMail support simple SQL bases filter rules. These can be assigned
per user, or globally by assigning them to the 'anyone' user.

The dbmail_filters table contains the following fields:

id BIGINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT
user_id BIGINT NOT NULL
headername varchar(128) NOT NULL
headervalue varchar(255) NOT NULL
mailbox varchar(100) NOT NULL

Headernames in this table must be lower-cased since they are joined
on the dbmail_headernames table which only contains lower-cased values.

Headervalues are matched as case-insensitive LIKE. They may contain
LIKE-style match expressions.

So:

If a message's headers look like:

From: Foo Bar <foobar [at] dot>
Subject: this is a test

Rules would match as follows:

---+--------------+--------------------------+-------
| from | foobar [at] dot | no
| from | Foo Bar <foobar [at] dot> | yes
| from | %foobar [at] dot% | yes
| subject | test | no
| subject | test% | yes

koye at ekaria

Mar 27, 2012, 11:51 AM

Re: exim lmtp delivery to named folder with dbmail? [In reply to]

We're running dbmail 2.2 and I don't see that table in our schema or the referenced doc in the source I built from, but the native filtering sounds ideal for our use (doesn't need to be all powerful). I guess it might be time to look at migrating to a new version. Thanks for that info!

From: Foo Bar <foobar [at] dot>