Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users
New system setup wanting to integrate DB-mail

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

dbrooks at mdah

Mar 26, 2012, 2:54 PM

New system setup wanting to integrate DB-mail

Hello all,

We currently have an aging email system running older versions of Dovecot and Postfix. There is no archival means or backup other than our disk based backuppc backup. So now we are looking to move our mail server to a virtual environment. With that we are going to be doing quite a few things like upgrading the versions of postfix/dovecot/etc, moving the mailstore to the SAN, and setting up an archival server.

Ideally we would like to have the main postfix server as just that, postfix. That would mean we would have a separate dovecot server along with a separate archival server. This would be to minimize any downtime during upgrades/outages.

Just as a background our setup will be Fedora or Centos. We use OpenLDAP authentication and group lists, mailing lists currently is majordomo but we will be moving to mailman with this migration. The only access by end users of mail is IMAP, there is no POP3 access.

My main concern is how best to integrate DB-mail into this setup. What I am wanting is a way to archive all in/outbound emails and provide an easy to search interface. We have approximately 200 end users and currently have about 1TB of mailstore data. With the archiving portion I would want all mail older than XXX days to be automatically deleted from the primary mailstore but accessible from an IMAP subscribed folder. I have read that this is doable with DB-mail but what about users that have sub-folders? Would that mail be able to be deleted from the main mailstore but yet still readable from an IMAP subscribed folder? What is the best way to not archive mailing list messages?

I am sure I will have many more questions but these are all that come to mind right now. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

--
Donny B.

Subject User Time
New system setup wanting to integrate DB-mail dbrooks at mdah Mar 26, 2012, 2:54 PM
    Re: New system setup wanting to integrate DB-mail skraps at hushmail Mar 26, 2012, 9:59 PM