Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

Migrating mailboxes, which tool to use?

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

leandro at texnet

Mar 13, 2012, 10:42 AM

Migrating mailboxes, which tool to use?

Hello,
we are planning the complete migration of email boxes from an old
maildir system to dbmail.
Unfortunately we discover a lots of problems with some of our users
using POP3 protocol and leaving emails on the server. They start
downloading again the old messages. It seems the "leave emails on
server" rely on the message's UID that gets lost during the copy.

I have tried the simple imap_copy.pl from
http://www.athensfbc.com/imap_tools/ and the more complex isync/mbsync.
Both are triggering the complete download of old message from the POP3
client.

Any advice on which "copy" tool to use?

Thank you

Leandro

h.reindl at thelounge

Mar 13, 2012, 11:28 AM

Re: Migrating mailboxes, which tool to use? [In reply to]

I fear there is no way for POP3, one reason beside storage educate users use the "delete from server after x days" since it is braindead to leave forever while use POP3 instead IMAP

Leandro <leandro [at] texnet> schrieb:

>Hello,
>we are planning the complete migration of email boxes from an old
>maildir system to dbmail.
>Unfortunately we discover a lots of problems with some of our users
>using POP3 protocol and leaving emails on the server. They start
>downloading again the old messages. It seems the "leave emails on
>server" rely on the message's UID that gets lost during the copy.
>
>I have tried the simple imap_copy.pl from
>http://www.athensfbc.com/imap_tools/ and the more complex isync/mbsync.
>Both are triggering the complete download of old message from the POP3
>client.
>
>Any advice on which "copy" tool to use?
>
>Thank you
>
>Leandro

paul at nfg

Mar 13, 2012, 12:00 PM

Re: Migrating mailboxes, which tool to use? [In reply to]

Leandro,

POP3 relies on UIDL values to track messages. When a POP3 client sees
unknown UIDL values, it will assume a message hasn't been retrieved yet.
In DBMail these are generated during delivery and stored in
dbmail_messages.unique_id.

Other servers will use different UIDL values, and transporting existing
UIDL values into DBMail is currently not supported.

Maybe dbmail-deliver could be modified to support UIDL values on the
command-line. Or we could scan for X-UIDL headers and use those.