Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

POP and IMAP over SSL/TLS.

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

radecki.rafal at gmail

Mar 10, 2011, 11:47 AM

POP and IMAP over SSL/TLS.

Hi All. I am configuring a mail server with postfix and dbmail with
postgresql. As I see in dbmail.conf POP listens on TCP 110 and IMAP on TCP
143, there are no certificates or keys to add. Is there a way to use
POP/IMAP securely (SSL/TLS) in dbmail-pop3d/-imapd?

Warm regards,
R.

h.reindl at thelounge

Mar 10, 2011, 11:51 AM

Re: POP and IMAP over SSL/TLS. [In reply to]

Am 10.03.2011 20:47, schrieb Rafał Radecki:
> Hi All. I am configuring a mail server with postfix and dbmail with postgresql. As I see in dbmail.conf POP listens
> on TCP 110 and IMAP on TCP 143, there are no certificates or keys to add. Is there a way to use POP/IMAP securely
> (SSL/TLS) in dbmail-pop3d/-imapd?

AFAIK not in 2.x

We are using dovecot as imap/pop3-proxy and dbmail is only listening
on 127.0.0.1, the nice side effect is that you can use dovecot also
for SASL-Auth in postfix - we need this additionally for replacing %
in usernames to @ what also affects postfix/imap/pop3 and having another
layer is increasing security because even if dbmail would have
a security-bug the attacker must be able to pass it through doceot
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

gordan at bobich

Mar 10, 2011, 11:53 AM

Re: POP and IMAP over SSL/TLS. [In reply to]

On 03/10/2011 07:47 PM, Rafał Radecki wrote:
> Hi All. I am configuring a mail server with postfix and dbmail with
> postgresql. As I see in dbmail.conf POP listens on TCP 110 and IMAP on
> TCP 143, there are no certificates or keys to add. Is there a way to use
> POP/IMAP securely (SSL/TLS) in dbmail-pop3d/-imapd?

You'll have to use stunnel. AFAIK, DBMail doesn't have any built in SSL
capabilities.

Gordan

paul at nfg

Mar 10, 2011, 12:48 PM

Re: POP and IMAP over SSL/TLS. [In reply to]

On 03/10/2011 08:53 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 07:47 PM, Rafał Radecki wrote:
>> Hi All. I am configuring a mail server with postfix and dbmail with
>> postgresql. As I see in dbmail.conf POP listens on TCP 110 and IMAP on
>> TCP 143, there are no certificates or keys to add. Is there a way to use
>> POP/IMAP securely (SSL/TLS) in dbmail-pop3d/-imapd?
>
> You'll have to use stunnel. AFAIK, DBMail doesn't have any built in SSL
> capabilities.

native ssl support is available only in 3.0. For 2.2 use stunnel.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl

radecki.rafal at gmail

Mar 11, 2011, 10:04 AM

Re: POP and IMAP over SSL/TLS. [In reply to]

Could you provide a link to a good howto about dovecot proxy & dbmail?

2011/3/10 Reindl Harald <h.reindl [at] thelounge>

> Am 10.03.2011 20:47, schrieb Rafa Radecki:
> > Hi All. I am configuring a mail server with postfix and dbmail with
> postgresql. As I see in dbmail.conf POP listens
> > on TCP 110 and IMAP on TCP 143, there are no certificates or keys to add.
> Is there a way to use POP/IMAP securely
> > (SSL/TLS) in dbmail-pop3d/-imapd?
>
> AFAIK not in 2.x
>
> We are using dovecot as imap/pop3-proxy and dbmail is only listening
> on 127.0.0.1, the nice side effect is that you can use dovecot also
> for SASL-Auth in postfix - we need this additionally for replacing %
> in usernames to @ what also affects postfix/imap/pop3 and having another
> layer is increasing security because even if dbmail would have
> a security-bug the attacker must be able to pass it through doceot

guido at fotocaos

Mar 11, 2011, 10:19 AM

Re: POP and IMAP over SSL/TLS. [In reply to]

Il 10/03/2011 21:48, Paul J Stevens ha scritto:

> native ssl support is available only in 3.0. For 2.2 use stunnel.

perdition also works.

gp

h.reindl at thelounge

Mar 11, 2011, 12:31 PM

Re: POP and IMAP over SSL/TLS. [In reply to]

Look at the really good dovecot manual
http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/ImapProxy