Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

dbmail-imapd:

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

vbox.nick at gmail

dbmail-imapd:

Hi all.

I have dbmail 2.2.10-1 installed on Debian lenny. Mysql used as backend and
running on localhost. Dbmail-imapd is unstable. I set TRACE_SYSLOG = 4 and
restart service. Now I see errors in the /var/log/dbmail/dbmail.err:

Mar 31 23:29:28 mail01.pe1 dbmail-imapd[31843]: Error:[imapsession]
dbmail-imapsession.c,dbmail_imap_session_printf(+1515): write to client
socket failed

What could it mean?

paul at nfg

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

nick ivanov wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have dbmail 2.2.10-1 installed on Debian lenny. Mysql used as backend and
> running on localhost. Dbmail-imapd is unstable. I set TRACE_SYSLOG = 4 and
> restart service. Now I see errors in the /var/log/dbmail/dbmail.err:
>
> Mar 31 23:29:28 mail01.pe1 dbmail-imapd[31843]: Error:[imapsession]
> dbmail-imapsession.c,dbmail_imap_session_printf(+1515): write to client
> socket failed
>
> What could it mean?

It means the client is hanging up the connection unexpectedly.

Please be aware that 2.2.10 is quite old. We're at 2.2.15 already. You
can try the i386 packages on debian.nfgd.net.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl

dbmail.org at lemmster

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

Paul J Stevens <paul <at> nfg.nl> writes:

> nick ivanov wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I have dbmail 2.2.10-1 installed on Debian lenny. Mysql used as backend and
> > running on localhost. Dbmail-imapd is unstable. I set TRACE_SYSLOG = 4 and
> > restart service. Now I see errors in the /var/log/dbmail/dbmail.err:
> >
> > Mar 31 23:29:28 mail01.pe1 dbmail-imapd[31843]: Error:[imapsession]
> > dbmail-imapsession.c,dbmail_imap_session_printf(+1515): write to client
> > socket failed
> >
> > What could it mean?
>
> It means the client is hanging up the connection unexpectedly.
>
> Please be aware that 2.2.10 is quite old. We're at 2.2.15 already. You
> can try the i386 packages on debian.nfgd.net.

Hi,

I'm seeing the same error with lenny and two Nagios instances monitoring Dbmail
here. POP3 is stable, but Imap occasionally times out.
Unfortunately 2.2.15 is not an option due to 1) which might be linked to [2].

Markus

1)
kernel: [72723.138806] dbmail-pop3d[13409]: segfault at ffff007c ip b7a171b4 sp
bfffbc4c error 4 in libauth_sql.so.0.0.0[b7a16000+5000]
kernel: [72743.400149] dbmail-imapd[13544]: segfault at ffff007c ip b79e31b4 sp
bffebf5c error 4 in libauth_sql.so.0.0.0[b79e2000+5000]

[2] http://dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=842

ballier at mail

Aug 22, 2010, 2:37 AM

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

Hello,

I use dbmail-imapd 2.2.16 and have the same problem: imapd occasionally
times out.

In dbmail.err I found this line:

dbmail-imapd[23122]: Error:[imapsession]
dbmail-imapsession.c,dbmail_imap_session_printf(+1518): write to client
socket failed

and I have to restart imapd.

This happens about one times per two days, but last week the intervall
between two hangs ups was 30 minutes.

Ralph

paul at nfg

Aug 22, 2010, 2:50 AM

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

On 08/22/2010 11:37 AM, raba34 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use dbmail-imapd 2.2.16 and have the same problem: imapd occasionally
> times out.

You mean it stops accepting connections, or what?

> In dbmail.err I found this line:
>
> dbmail-imapd[23122]: Error:[imapsession]
> dbmail-imapsession.c,dbmail_imap_session_printf(+1518): write to client
> socket failed

That is a client error, not a server error. The client has disconnected
unexpectedly. There are many valid scenarios for that. It shouldn't lead
to the server not accepting new connections. I see plenty of those, but
(almost) never have to restart the services.

> and I have to restart imapd.

So I assume you do mean the server stops accepting new connections.

> This happens about one times per two days, but last week the intervall
> between two hangs ups was 30 minutes.

When it hangs again. Try to make a snapshot of open connections with
lsof. For example:

lsof -n|grep dbmail|grep TCP

or

netstat -anlp|grep dbmail-imapd

That might give some indication as to what is actually going on.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl

ballier at mail

Aug 22, 2010, 3:30 AM

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

Paul J Stevens wrote:

> On 08/22/2010 11:37 AM, raba34 wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use dbmail-imapd 2.2.16 and have the same problem: imapd occasionally
>> times out.
>
> You mean it stops accepting connections, or what?

For example: I click in eGroupware at button "eMail". Then I wait and wait
and nothing happens. You see "waiting for ....". After this I logg me in the
server (Linux) und type

telnet localhost 143

I see "Connected to... Escape is..." and a blank screen. NO greeting message
from imapd. Then I kill imapd and restart it.

I mean, imapd hangs generally in this case.

Ralph

paul at nfg

Aug 23, 2010, 12:09 AM

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

Ralph,

I suspect this is unrelated to the error message you posted earlier.

You might be running into connection limits where too many connections
are coming in too fast. Webmail systems typically trigger many short
lived connections in a rapid succession.

Users of webmail systems talking to dbmail-2.2 in general are therefor
advised to use imapproxy to improve performance and stability.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl

ballier at mail

Aug 28, 2010, 1:47 AM

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

Paul,

I have installed imapproxy and I mean, it's better. I can not say it
exactly, because my access providers has now problems with his own servers.

In the default imapproxy.conf I find this both lines

listen_port 143

server_port 143

I mean, that the same port is not possible. Therefore I had changed
server_port to 8085. Is that ok so?

Ralph

Paul J Stevens wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> I suspect this is unrelated to the error message you posted earlier.
>
> You might be running into connection limits where too many connections
> are coming in too fast. Webmail systems typically trigger many short
> lived connections in a rapid succession.
>
> Users of webmail systems talking to dbmail-2.2 in general are therefor
> advised to use imapproxy to improve performance and stability.
>

> On 08/22/2010 12:30 PM, raba34 wrote:
>>

>> Paul J Stevens wrote:

>>> You mean it stops accepting connections, or what?
>>>

>> For example: I click in eGroupware at button "eMail". Then I wait and
>> wait
>> and nothing happens. You see "waiting for ....". After this I logg me in
>> the
>> server (Linux) und type
>>
>> telnet localhost 143
>>
>> I see "Connected to... Escape is..." and a blank screen. NO greeting
>> message
>> from imapd. Then I kill imapd and restart it.
>>
>> I mean, imapd hangs generally in this case.
>>
>> Ralph

h.reindl at thelounge

Aug 28, 2010, 2:07 AM

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

Am 28.08.2010 10:47, schrieb raba34:
> I mean, that the same port is not possible. Therefore I had changed
> server_port to 8085. Is that ok so?

you must configure dbmail-imapd to listen only on 127.0.0.1
the sense of a proxy is that nobody has to know about him :-)
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

ballier at mail

Aug 28, 2010, 2:25 AM

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

This is an other line in the configuration file. I have set:

listen_address 127.0.0.1

but this is no port.

Ralph

Bugzilla from h.reindl [at] thelounge wrote:

> Am 28.08.2010 10:47, schrieb raba34:
>> I mean, that the same port is not possible. Therefore I had changed
>> server_port to 8085. Is that ok so?
>
> you must configure dbmail-imapd to listen only on 127.0.0.1
> the sense of a proxy is that nobody has to know about him :-)

h.reindl at thelounge

Aug 29, 2010, 10:40 AM

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

Am 28.08.2010 11:25, schrieb raba34:

> This is an other line in the configuration file. I have set:
>
> listen_address 127.0.0.1
>
> but this is no port.

Port is still 143

We are using dovecot as proxy for handling more auth-mechanisms
as dbmail supports and sasl-ath for postfix

dbmail is listening on 127.0.0.1:143
dovecot on public-ip:143 with forwarding to 127.0.0.1

Its a little bit tricky but works very well and as benefit
it makes attacks very hard because somebody needs a
exploit which reaches dbmail trough dovecot

another benefit: dovecot can handle imaps/pop3s on dedicated
ports as well as starttls

> Bugzilla from h.reindl [at] thelounge wrote:
>>

>> Am 28.08.2010 10:47, schrieb raba34:
>>> I mean, that the same port is not possible. Therefore I had changed
>>> server_port to 8085. Is that ok so?
>>
>> you must configure dbmail-imapd to listen only on 127.0.0.1
>> the sense of a proxy is that nobody has to know about him :-)

Mit besten GrŘ▀en, Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, HofmŘhlgasse 17
software-development / cms-solutions
p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

ballier at mail

Aug 31, 2010, 12:03 PM

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

----------------urspr├╝ngliche Nachricht-----------------
>> I mean, that the same port is not possible. Therefore I had changed
>> server_port to 8085. Is that ok so?
>
> you must configure dbmail-imapd to listen only on 127.0.0.1
> the sense of a proxy is that nobody has to know about him :-)

how can I do that? In dbmail.conf there it's not possible to write
127.0.0.1:143 .

Ralph

h.reindl at thelounge

Aug 31, 2010, 1:58 PM

Re: dbmail-imapd: [In reply to]

It is, globally or for every single service

[LMTP]
BINDIP = 127.0.0.1
PORT = 24
TIMEOUT = 180
MAXCHILDREN = 40
NCHILDREN = 4
MINSPARECHILDREN = 4
MAXSPARECHILDREN = 10
BANNER = LMTP-Service

[POP]
BINDIP = 127.0.0.1
PORT = 110
MAXCHILDREN = 100
NCHILDREN = 10
MINSPARECHILDREN = 5
MAXSPARECHILDREN = 15
POP_BEFORE_SMTP = no
BANNER = POP3-Service

[IMAP]
BINDIP = 127.0.0.1
PORT = 143
TIMEOUT = 1800
IDLE_TIMEOUT = 1800
MAXCHILDREN = 250
NCHILDREN = 10
MINSPARECHILDREN = 5
MAXSPARECHILDREN = 15
IMAP_BEFORE_SMTP = no
BANNER = IMAP-Service

[SIEVE]
BINDIP = *
PORT = 2000
TIMEOUT = 3600
MAXCHILDREN = 20
NCHILDREN = 1
MINSPARECHILDREN = 1
MAXSPARECHILDREN = 2
BANNER = SIEVE-Service

Am 31.08.2010 21:03, schrieb Ralph Ballier:

> ----------------urspr├╝ngliche Nachricht-----------------
> Von: "Reindl Harald" h.reindl [at] thelounge
> An: "DBMail mailinglist" dbmail [at] dbmail
> Datum: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:07:40 +0200
>

>> Am 28.08.2010 10:47, schrieb raba34:
>>> I mean, that the same port is not possible. Therefore I had changed
>>> server_port to 8085. Is that ok so?
>>
>> you must configure dbmail-imapd to listen only on 127.0.0.1
>> the sense of a proxy is that nobody has to know about him :-)
>
> how can I do that? In dbmail.conf there it's not possible to write
> 127.0.0.1:143 .
>
> Ralph

Mit besten Gr├╝├čen, Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH
A-1060 Vienna, Hofm├╝hlgasse 17
software-development / cms-solutions
p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

ballier at mail

Aug 31, 2010, 10:54 PM