Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

Odd Behavior Under Mutt

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

Kevin at RawFedDogs

Odd Behavior Under Mutt

DBMail Users,

I've recently given DBMail a try. I'm a e-mail pack-rat and am
exploring options to improve performance with some relatively large
mailboxes. After creating a couple of test mailboxes and copying some
messages to them I am seeing some odd behavior under Mutt.

I have piles of hierarchical mailboxes. I created a few test mailboxes. As
an example, two of the mailboxes I created are named Announcements and
General which are under an ArchLinux "folder," as:

INBOX/ArchLinux/Announcements
INBOX/ArchLinux/General

The hierarchical folders seem to be confusing Mutt. When I'm at the
level where it should be displaying the ArchLinux folder, it's
displaying it, and other folders with mailboxes under them, multiple
times:

1 ../
2 00-Inbox
3 ArchLinux/
4 ArchLinux/
5 ArchLinux/
6 MiscComp/
7 MiscComp/
8 Test

If I select any of the ArchLinux folders listed above, the mailboxes
under ArchLinux display normally. I was using Alpine a while back and
fired it up to compare. I'm seeing similar symptoms under Alpine:

00-Inbox Test ArchLinux/ ArchLinux/ ArchLinux[/]
MiscComp/ MiscComp[/]

Also, Mutt is displaying all unread messages as new messages, even if
I close a mailbox and go back into it. None of the unread messages
are showing up as "old" messages as they should be. I'm not seeing
that problem under Alpine.

I've used Mutt, and Alpine, with Cyrus in the past with no problems.
After trying DBMail, installed locally on my home desktop box, I
installed Dovecot locally and tested with similar mailboxes and had no
problems with either Mutt or Alpine.

I'm running DBMail 2.2.11 installed via the ArchLinux package manager.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

paul at nfg

Re: Odd Behavior Under Mutt [In reply to]

Kevin,

this is a know bug in 2.2.11 introduced by one of the release candidates.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl

vulture at netvulture

Re: Odd Behavior Under Mutt [In reply to]

Kevin,
Since you are just trying it out, give the 2.3 branch a test. When 2.3.6
comes out, I would say you would be relatively safe to move to the new
2.3.x storage infrastructure. A few more changes are going to be in the
database schema in 2.3.6. Possible a couple more that I'm working on
that will simplify it a bit.

-Jon

Paul J Stevens wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> this is a know bug in 2.2.11 introduced by one of the release candidates.
>
> Kevin Monceaux wrote:
>
>> DBMail Users,
>>
>> I've recently given DBMail a try. I'm a e-mail pack-rat and am
>> exploring options to improve performance with some relatively large
>> mailboxes. After creating a couple of test mailboxes and copying some
>> messages to them I am seeing some odd behavior under Mutt.
>>
>> I have piles of hierarchical mailboxes. I created a few test mailboxes. As
>> an example, two of the mailboxes I created are named Announcements and
>> General which are under an ArchLinux "folder," as:
>>
>> INBOX/ArchLinux/Announcements
>> INBOX/ArchLinux/General
>>
>> The hierarchical folders seem to be confusing Mutt. When I'm at the
>> level where it should be displaying the ArchLinux folder, it's
>> displaying it, and other folders with mailboxes under them, multiple
>> times:
>>
>> 1 ../
>> 2 00-Inbox
>> 3 ArchLinux/
>> 4 ArchLinux/
>> 5 ArchLinux/
>> 6 MiscComp/
>> 7 MiscComp/
>> 8 Test
>>
>> If I select any of the ArchLinux folders listed above, the mailboxes
>> under ArchLinux display normally. I was using Alpine a while back and
>> fired it up to compare. I'm seeing similar symptoms under Alpine:
>>
>> 00-Inbox Test ArchLinux/ ArchLinux/ ArchLinux[/]
>> MiscComp/ MiscComp[/]
>>
>> Also, Mutt is displaying all unread messages as new messages, even if
>> I close a mailbox and go back into it. None of the unread messages
>> are showing up as "old" messages as they should be. I'm not seeing
>> that problem under Alpine.
>>
>> I've used Mutt, and Alpine, with Cyrus in the past with no problems.
>> After trying DBMail, installed locally on my home desktop box, I
>> installed Dovecot locally and tested with similar mailboxes and had no
>> problems with either Mutt or Alpine.
>>
>> I'm running DBMail 2.2.11 installed via the ArchLinux package manager.

believed to be clean.

Kevin at RawFedDogs

Re: Odd Behavior Under Mutt [In reply to]

-Jon,

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:19:31AM -0700, Jonathan Feally wrote:

> Since you are just trying it out, give the 2.3 branch a test.

I tried to build 2.3.5 and hit bug 757. The version of libzdb in
ArchLinux's package repository is version 2.4.

I also tried 2.2.10. It doesn't have the hierarchical mailbox problem
I was seeing in 2.2.11, but the other problem I mentioned still
exists. No matter how many times I open/close a mailbox Mutt displays
all unread messages as new, even the ones it should be displaying as
old messages.

Re: Odd Behavior Under Mutt [In reply to]

Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> I tried to build 2.3.5 and hit bug 757. The version of libzdb in
> ArchLinux's package repository is version 2.4.

libzdb 2.3 and 2.4 support will be in 2.3.6. I think I'm holding up the
2.3.6 branch with my latest ideas. I'll get to work on giving Paul the
final patch for his testing and approval.

-Jon

believed to be clean.