Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

mysterious from-address

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

marc at electronics-design

mysterious from-address

Hi

I'm on 2.2.11.

Often some customers receive emails with incorrect (or strangely
encoded) From headers. This From header then gets mangled
at some point between reception and delivery.

The newly formed From header has been mangled, and
@host.domain of the mailserver has been added.
See here a resulting header:

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_M._Joao?=@gamma.electronics-design.nl

If now the customers replies to this, obviously the email is
not delivered to the original sender.

Is it possible dbmail at some point adds the header?
Er should I be looking through spamassassin or postfix?

Regards,

Marc

aaron at serendipity

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

I've noticed this, too. It's not an added header, it's a mis-decoded
header. I suspect a GMime bug; perhaps Paul has identified which versions
of GMime are buggy in this way?

Aaron

On Wed, 6 May 2009 15:19:41 +0200, Marc Dirix <marc [at] electronics-design>
wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm on 2.2.11.
>
> Often some customers receive emails with incorrect (or strangely
> encoded) From headers. This From header then gets mangled
> at some point between reception and delivery.
>
> The newly formed From header has been mangled, and
> @host.domain of the mailserver has been added.
> See here a resulting header:
>
> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_M._Joao?=@gamma.electronics-design.nl
>
> If now the customers replies to this, obviously the email is
> not delivered to the original sender.
>
> Is it possible dbmail at some point adds the header?
> Er should I be looking through spamassassin or postfix?
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

ml at kiewel-online

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

Aaron Stone wrote:
> I've noticed this, too. It's not an added header, it's a mis-decoded
> header. I suspect a GMime bug; perhaps Paul has identified which versions
> of GMime are buggy in this way?

Me too, but in a different way: Not the address but the subject or the
real name is mis-decoded in that way.

Uwe

> Aaron
>

> On Wed, 6 May 2009 15:19:41 +0200, Marc Dirix <marc [at] electronics-design>
> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm on 2.2.11.
>>
>> Often some customers receive emails with incorrect (or strangely
>> encoded) From headers. This From header then gets mangled
>> at some point between reception and delivery.
>>
>> The newly formed From header has been mangled, and
>> @host.domain of the mailserver has been added.
>> See here a resulting header:
>>
>> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_M._Joao?=@gamma.electronics-design.nl
>>
>> If now the customers replies to this, obviously the email is
>> not delivered to the original sender.
>>
>> Is it possible dbmail at some point adds the header?
>> Er should I be looking through spamassassin or postfix?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Marc

mysql.jorge at decimal

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

I have on both!
But with 2.3.2.
I'm waiting for 2.3.6 to be out to test if, I saw that Paul did some changes
related to that some while ago.

marc at electronics-design

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

Although I could live with mis-encoding.
The addition of @host.domain is somewhat
annoying as it makes outlook think the email address is valid,
and does not complain to the user.

Marc

john.ml at erba

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

It's likely a bug of the sending client (probably a webmail service).
Shouldn't the from header contain only ascii encoding?
John

Aaron Stone wrote:
> I've noticed this, too. It's not an added header, it's a mis-decoded
> header. I suspect a GMime bug; perhaps Paul has identified which versions
> of GMime are buggy in this way?
>
> Aaron
>

> On Wed, 6 May 2009 15:19:41 +0200, Marc Dirix <marc [at] electronics-design>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm on 2.2.11.
>>
>> Often some customers receive emails with incorrect (or strangely
>> encoded) From headers. This From header then gets mangled
>> at some point between reception and delivery.
>>
>> The newly formed From header has been mangled, and
>> @host.domain of the mailserver has been added.
>> See here a resulting header:
>>
>> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_M._Joao?=@gamma.electronics-design.nl
>>
>> If now the customers replies to this, obviously the email is
>> not delivered to the original sender.
>>
>> Is it possible dbmail at some point adds the header?
>> Er should I be looking through spamassassin or postfix?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Marc

bmadams at gmail

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

This is done because the us-ascii character set does not include support for
accented characters (Josť). This string also utilized quoted printable. I
would think that the decoding of this string should be handled not by the
server, but rather by the client. If this is something that DBMail should
support, are you sure that you have proper unicode support on your system?

[ Brandon Adams ]
bmadams at gmail dot com

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 4:15 PM, John Fawcett <john.ml [at] erba> wrote:

> It's likely a bug of the sending client (probably a webmail service).
> Shouldn't the from header contain only ascii encoding?
> John
>
> Aaron Stone wrote:
> > I've noticed this, too. It's not an added header, it's a mis-decoded
> > header. I suspect a GMime bug; perhaps Paul has identified which versions
> > of GMime are buggy in this way?
> >
> > Aaron
> >

> > On Wed, 6 May 2009 15:19:41 +0200, Marc Dirix <
> marc [at] electronics-design>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I'm on 2.2.11.
> >>
> >> Often some customers receive emails with incorrect (or strangely
> >> encoded) From headers. This From header then gets mangled
> >> at some point between reception and delivery.
> >>
> >> The newly formed From header has been mangled, and
> >> @host.domain of the mailserver has been added.
> >> See here a resulting header:
> >>
> >> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_M._Joao?=@gamma.electronics-design.nl
> >>
> >> If now the customers replies to this, obviously the email is
> >> not delivered to the original sender.
> >>
> >> Is it possible dbmail at some point adds the header?
> >> Er should I be looking through spamassassin or postfix?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Marc

paul at nfg

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

John Fawcett wrote:
> It's likely a bug of the sending client (probably a webmail service).
> Shouldn't the from header contain only ascii encoding?

That's not the point. Even if you are correct (I would assume rfc2047
would apply to From_ headers as well), we'd like dbmail to gracefully
degrade.

> John
>
> Aaron Stone wrote:
>> I've noticed this, too. It's not an added header, it's a mis-decoded
>> header. I suspect a GMime bug; perhaps Paul has identified which versions
>> of GMime are buggy in this way?

Stay current on gmime-2.2. That is the only version I really test. Gmime
is a fast moving target! 2.4 is api/abi incompatible, and 2.6 (already
being worked on) will break that again. Jeff has done some fixes in this
area, and dbmail has it's own share of work-around faulty encodings on
top of that. Running the unit-tests (./configure --with-check; make
check) might help in exposing the trouble spots.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl

john.ml at erba

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

Paul J Stevens wrote:
> John Fawcett wrote:
>
>> It's likely a bug of the sending client (probably a webmail service).
>> Shouldn't the from header contain only ascii encoding?
>>

> That's not the point. Even if you are correct (I would assume rfc2047
> would apply to From_ headers as well), we'd like dbmail to gracefully
> degrade.

Paul
the encoding defined in rfc2047 applies to the word entity that precedes
the address-spec, but not as part of the address spec.

i.e.

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= <john.ml [at] erba>

is ok and is correctly visualized (thunderbird/dbmail)

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?=@erba.tv

looks broken.

I have to admit I never tried to define a mailbox with an accented character in it, but I suspect that it would not
work reliably.

John

marc at electronics-design

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

My Point was not the part about not being able to decode, but the part
where dbmail (or gmime) adds an @host.domain after the non-decodable
address. This confuses things.

--
Groet,

Marc Dirix

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

Marc Dirix wrote:
> My Point was not the part about not being able to decode, but the part
> where dbmail (or gmime) adds an @host.domain after the non-decodable
> address. This confuses things.

Marc
I'm not convinced that it is dbmail or gmime adding a host part. Do you
have an
example of the full message headers?
John

marc at electronics-design

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

> Marc
> I'm not convinced that it is dbmail or gmime adding a host part. Do you
> have an
> example of the full message headers?
> John

Yes, I'm however pretty sure postfix does not change the from address. I
have furthermore spamassassin and clamavsmtp
running. But online the ones with a messed-up gmime decoding end up with
an added @gamma.electronics-design.nl

The header is taken from the message-view in mutt.

Regards,

Marc

From jose [at] sending Wed May 6 14:50:13 2009
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_M._Joao?=@gamma.electronics-design.nl
To: "'Linda Neven-Wenmaekers (The Works Events)'"
<linda [at] receiving>
Subject: INCALFER ARGENTINA - LCD RENT
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 09:49:31 -0300

paul at nfg

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

Marc,

dbmail doesn't do this, afaict. The only set_header call we do during
normal delivery is for 'Return-Path'. What do the postfix logs tell you?

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

> dbmail doesn't do this, afaict. The only set_header call we do during
> normal delivery is for 'Return-Path'. What do the postfix logs tell you?

Nothing intelligible, the rcpt-to address (in the message envelope) is
correct.
I can't find an option for postfix where it enables / disables it to
change the message
from header?

I have in main.cf:
append_dot_mydomain = no
append_at_myorigin = no

Regards,

Marc

paul at nfg

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

Marc Dirix wrote:
>> dbmail doesn't do this, afaict. The only set_header call we do during
>> normal delivery is for 'Return-Path'. What do the postfix logs tell you?
>>

> Nothing intelligible, the rcpt-to address (in the message envelope) is
> correct.
> I can't find an option for postfix where it enables / disables it to
> change the message
> from header?
>
> I have in main.cf:
> append_dot_mydomain = no
> append_at_myorigin = no

Oops. The README clearly states:

Rewrite "user" to "user@$myorigin"

This feature is controlled by the boolean append_at_myorigin
parameter (default: yes). You should never turn off this feature,
because a lot of Postfix components expect that all addresses have the
form "user [at] domai".

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

> Oops. The README clearly states:
>
> Rewrite "user" to "user@$myorigin"
>
> This feature is controlled by the boolean append_at_myorigin
> parameter (default: yes). You should never turn off this feature,
> because a lot of Postfix components expect that all addresses have the
> form "user [at] domai".

I have set it to "no" because of this problem (to see if it would make a
difference, which it doesn't). It also seems not to be related, because
$myorigin is not "gamma.electronics-design.nl" which is the string which
is add in the from header.

Marc

john.ml at erba

Re: mysterious from-address [In reply to]

Marc Dirix wrote:
>> Oops. The README clearly states:
>>
>> Rewrite "user" to "user@$myorigin"
>>
>> This feature is controlled by the boolean append_at_myorigin
>> parameter (default: yes). You should never turn off this feature,
>> because a lot of Postfix components expect that all addresses have the
>> form "user [at] domai".
>>
> I have set it to "no" because of this problem (to see if it would make a
> difference, which it doesn't). It also seems not to be related, because
> $myorigin is not "gamma.electronics-design.nl" which is the string which
> is add in the from header.
>
> Marc

Marc
the behaviour you're seing can also depend on the setting for the postfix
parameter local_header_rewrite_clients.

It's hard to tell without knowing the contents of master.cf and the
output of postconf -n
(and probably this should go to the postfix list) but my guess is that
the "from" header
is being rewritten when the email is passed back into postfix after spam
filtering.
How to change this behaviour depends on how you're feeding mail back to
postfix.
I know how to do this in my setup, but I'm using amavisd-new, which may
not be
your case.

John