Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

DBMail and SASL Authentication

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mediaslayer at gmail

Mar 14, 2009, 7:48 AM

DBMail and SASL Authentication

I'm trying to setup SMTP authentication with SASL.

I followed the instructions at
http://www.dbmail.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=smtp_auth:postfix

Since my passwords are using MD5-HASH, the SASL authentication isn't
working.

The instructions say to run saslauthd with this command:

saslauthd -a rimap -O 127.0.0.1[/port
But I don't know where to set this. I'm running on Ubuntu 8.10.

Is there a log that can give me a hint to why it's failing?

Can someone help?

Thanks,
Mike

dstilts at allmopars

Mar 14, 2009, 11:19 AM

Re: DBMail and SASL Authentication [In reply to]

Hi Mike,

With Ubuntu, I believe the config is set in /etc/default/saslauthd.

MECHANISMS=rimap
OPTIONS="-O 127.0.0.1"

Also, if you are using the <user>@<domain> username convention, you
might need to change OPTIONS to be "-O 127.0.0.1 -r"

start it up with "/etc/init.d/saslauthd start" and it should fire it
off. If you want to run it in the foreground, just run "saslauthd -a
rimap -O 127.0.0.1 -d" (again, add in -r if needed).

Hopefully this helps you some.

Dan

On 3/14/2009 7:48 AM, mediaslayer wrote:
> I'm trying to setup SMTP authentication with SASL.
>
> I followed the instructions at
> http://www.dbmail.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=smtp_auth:postfix
>
> Since my passwords are using MD5-HASH, the SASL authentication isn't
> working.
>
> The instructions say to run saslauthd with this command:
>
> saslauthd -a rimap -O 127.0.0.1[/port
> But I don't know where to set this. I'm running on Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> Is there a log that can give me a hint to why it's failing?
>
> Can someone help?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

mediaslayer at gmail

Mar 14, 2009, 9:58 PM

Re: DBMail and SASL Authentication [In reply to]

Well, I got a little further, but I'm not sure I have SASL configured
correctly. I'm new to SASL, Postfix, DBMail etc.

I noticed that my auth.log file has some entries about postfix/smtpd quering
dbmail's database. I thought it used IMAP to verify the credentials. Did I
miss something?

Thanks.

Dan Stilts wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> With Ubuntu, I believe the config is set in /etc/default/saslauthd.
>
> MECHANISMS=rimap
> OPTIONS="-O 127.0.0.1"
>
> Also, if you are using the <user>@<domain> username convention, you
> might need to change OPTIONS to be "-O 127.0.0.1 -r"
>
> start it up with "/etc/init.d/saslauthd start" and it should fire it
> off. If you want to run it in the foreground, just run "saslauthd -a
> rimap -O 127.0.0.1 -d" (again, add in -r if needed).
>
> Hopefully this helps you some.
>
> Dan
>
> On 3/14/2009 7:48 AM, mediaslayer wrote:
>> I'm trying to setup SMTP authentication with SASL.
>>
>> I followed the instructions at
>> http://www.dbmail.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=smtp_auth:postfix
>>
>> Since my passwords are using MD5-HASH, the SASL authentication isn't
>> working.
>>
>> The instructions say to run saslauthd with this command:
>>
>> saslauthd -a rimap -O 127.0.0.1[/port
>> But I don't know where to set this. I'm running on Ubuntu 8.10.
>>
>> Is there a log that can give me a hint to why it's failing?
>>
>> Can someone help?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

curtis at maurand

Mar 15, 2009, 5:06 AM

Re: DBMail and SASL Authentication [In reply to]

Isn't dbmail the imap server? That looks like a normal entry to me since dbmail is
He user database provider.

Dan Stilts wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> With Ubuntu, I believe the config is set in /etc/default/saslauthd.
>
> MECHANISMS=rimap
> OPTIONS="-O 127.0.0.1"
>
> Also, if you are using the <user>@<domain> username convention, you
> might need to change OPTIONS to be "-O 127.0.0.1 -r"
>
> start it up with "/etc/init.d/saslauthd start" and it should fire it
> off. If you want to run it in the foreground, just run "saslauthd -a
> rimap -O 127.0.0.1 -d" (again, add in -r if needed).
>
> Hopefully this helps you some.
>
> Dan
>
> On 3/14/2009 7:48 AM, mediaslayer wrote:
>> I'm trying to setup SMTP authentication with SASL.
>>
>> I followed the instructi
[truncated by sender]

mediaslayer at gmail

Mar 15, 2009, 6:27 AM

Re: DBMail and SASL Authentication [In reply to]

Yes, dbMail is the imap server. It appears to be doing to query properly but
still fails to authenticate.

I'm using Outlook to test the configuration. Maybe there is a better way to
test this?

In any case, Outlook reports "Task 'mailserver - Sending' reported error
(0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this
problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service
provider (ISP).'"

Curtis Maurand wrote:

> Isn't dbmail the imap server? That looks like a normal entry to me since
> dbmail is
> He user database provider.

paul at nfg

Mar 15, 2009, 8:14 AM

Re: DBMail and SASL Authentication [In reply to]

Hi there,

Before you start worrying about saslauth, you should make sure that all
components involved work properly themselves.

Is dbmail-imapd running, accepting connections, etc? Can you login to imap?

Is postfix working ok? Can you send mail out, and can you make sure
incoming email is delivered to dbmail?

Only when all this is working should you start concerning yourself with
sasl.

mediaslayer wrote:
> Well, I got a little further, but I'm not sure I have SASL configured
> correctly. I'm new to SASL, Postfix, DBMail etc.
>
> I noticed that my auth.log file has some entries about postfix/smtpd quering
> dbmail's database. I thought it used IMAP to verify the credentials. Did I
> miss something?

That depends. If you are using postfix to verify local recipients
against the dbmail database that might be ok. If those queries are
trying to validate users, you postfix configuration is incorrect.

Small steps.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl

mediaslayer at gmail

Mar 15, 2009, 1:31 PM

Re: DBMail and SASL Authentication [In reply to]

IMAP is working.
I can send/receive e-mail with accounts within the server. I have not
opened the port to outside access yet because I want SASL to work first.
I can send mail to outside addresses.

IMAP works with Outlook as a client as well as Squirrel, RedCube, and a few
others. (haven't decided which one I'm going to use yet.)

As far as I am concerned, everything is working except SMTP authentication.
I don't want to open the port until SASL is working.

Paul J Stevens wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Before you start worrying about saslauth, you should make sure that all
> components involved work properly themselves.
>
> Is dbmail-imapd running, accepting connections, etc? Can you login to
> imap?
>
> Is postfix working ok? Can you send mail out, and can you make sure
> incoming email is delivered to dbmail?
>
> Only when all this is working should you start concerning yourself with
> sasl.
>
> mediaslayer wrote:
>> Well, I got a little further, but I'm not sure I have SASL configured
>> correctly. I'm new to SASL, Postfix, DBMail etc.
>>
>> I noticed that my auth.log file has some entries about postfix/smtpd
>> quering
>> dbmail's database. I thought it used IMAP to verify the credentials.
>> Did I
>> miss something?
>
> That depends. If you are using postfix to verify local recipients
> against the dbmail database that might be ok. If those queries are
> trying to validate users, you postfix configuration is incorrect.
>
> Small steps.

mysql.jorge at decimal

Mar 15, 2009, 2:37 PM

Re: DBMail and SASL Authentication [In reply to]

I think the best you can do for now is test sasl.

testsaslauthd -u test -p test
0: NO "authentication failed"

mediaslayer at gmail

Mar 15, 2009, 8:22 PM

Re: DBMail and SASL Authentication [In reply to]

I'm not sure how, but I finally got it to work. Some of the steps I
performed are below (in case someone else has this issue). I'm not sure
which one did it because I made one change which caused something else to
break. Maybe someone can explain.

I am running postfix chrooted, which may have been part of my problem. (I
read in places that Debian was tricky in this area)

I changed my smtpd.conf file to the following: (it is located in
/etc/postfix/sasl)

pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: plain login cram-md5 digest-md5

In /etc/default/saslauthd, I changed my options line to the following:

OPTIONS="-r -c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd"

And added this line:

MECH_OPTIONS="127.0.0.1"

I also added postfix user to the SASL group (I was getting an access denied
error (in mail.log) on SASL authentication):

adduser postfix sasl

Thanks to everyone that helped. It would be helpful if someone could
explain what (if any) of the above may have fixed this problem.