Mailing List Archive: DBMail: users

Thunderbird and ACL shared folders

DBMail users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

bert at procurios

Sep 1, 2008, 5:40 AM

Thunderbird and ACL shared folders

Hi all,

We're testing with shared personal folders in our team. This works
perfectly in Evolution and our webmail client. We can't get it to work
in Thunderbird however. A shared folder just won't show up in the
"Subscribe" window.

While digging the web for some directions I stumbled upon a dbmail
mailinglist discussion in 2006 with subject "Thunderbird can't see
#Public, other MUAs can". This seems to be the same problem. Was this
problem resolved back then? If so, what was the solution?

If not, is this a known problem? Can we use a workaround?

Brief description of the problem:
1. We share a folder for user X by adding a row to dbmail_acl. User X
can see and use this mailbox in Evolution directly. In Thunderbird the
folder doesn't show up in the subscribe window.
2. If we however subscribe to this folder in another client (or add an
entry to dbmail_subscription), the folder does show up in the subscribe
window in Thunderbird. The folder is not visible in the folder tree,
even though it is subscribed.
3. If we now remove and add the account to Thunderbird, it will be
visible in the folder tree AND in the subscribe window.

We're using DBMail 2.2.10.

Kind regards,

Bert Slagter

adrian at thearle

Sep 2, 2008, 3:20 AM

RE: Thunderbird and ACL shared folders [In reply to]

Hi Bert

I also had a similar problem with my users Shared Folders (#User instead
of #Public) and found that it also would not show up in Thunderbird,
Expect this problem seemed to solve itself, after a short period, it
just appeared.

I'm not sure what it was that did it, perhaps I recreated the account,
or it may have been a close, or even more basically just time. I also
could see the folders in Squirrelmail, but it would not show up in
Thunderbird.

Don't know if this helps, but at least you know that others are also
still experiencing a similar issue.

Adrian

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 14:40:12 +0200
> From: Bert Slagter <bert [at] procurios>
> Subject: [Dbmail] Thunderbird and ACL shared folders
>
> Hi all,
>
> We're testing with shared personal folders in our team. This works
> perfectly in Evolution and our webmail client. We can't get it to work
> in Thunderbird however. A shared folder just won't show up in the
> "Subscribe" window.
>
> While digging the web for some directions I stumbled upon a dbmail
> mailinglist discussion in 2006 with subject "Thunderbird can't see
> #Public, other MUAs can". This seems to be the same problem. Was this
> problem resolved back then? If so, what was the solution?
>
> If not, is this a known problem? Can we use a workaround?
>
> Brief description of the problem:
> 1. We share a folder for user X by adding a row to dbmail_acl. User X
> can see and use this mailbox in Evolution directly. In Thunderbird the
> folder doesn't show up in the subscribe window.
> 2. If we however subscribe to this folder in another client (or add an
> entry to dbmail_subscription), the folder does show up in the subscribe
> window in Thunderbird. The folder is not visible in the folder tree,
> even though it is subscribed.
> 3. If we now remove and add the account to Thunderbird, it will be
> visible in the folder tree AND in the subscribe window.
>
> We're using DBMail 2.2.10.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Bert Slagter

paul at nfg

Sep 2, 2008, 4:02 AM

Re: RE: Thunderbird and ACL shared folders [In reply to]

It's a dbmail bug.

If you issue a simple 'x LIST "" *' mailboxes the current user has 'l'
permissions on below #Users will show up nicely. This is what SM does.
However, TB uses 'x LIST "" #Users*' which is currently not allowed by
dbmail. It should be however. TB also tries to fall back to addition
variations, but those also fail.

Please file a bug someone.

Paul Stevens paul at nfg.nl
NET FACILITIES GROUP GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31
The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl