Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

Merging calendars on server side?

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

hohmann at harddiskcafe

Jul 15, 2012, 3:25 PM

Merging calendars on server side?

Hi,

I'm satisfied with davical in my small installation.

But I stumbled over a problem and didn't found a solution.

Issue: I have my own calendar, the calendar of my wife, public and
school holidays. Thunderbird/Lightning can merge calendars on client
side perfectly, Outlook 2003 (my wife demands it) can't and displays the
calendars side by side which gets confusing.

I guess other calendar clients have the same problem.

So I'm looking for a solution to tell the server "for user $wife merge
calendar '$husband $wife $public_holidays $waste_collection
$daily_reciepes' together"

Any ideas?

Bernd

andrew at morphoss

Jul 16, 2012, 2:20 PM

Re: Merging calendars on server side? [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 00:25 +0200, Bernd Hohmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm satisfied with davical in my small installation.
>
> But I stumbled over a problem and didn't found a solution.
>
> Issue: I have my own calendar, the calendar of my wife, public and
> school holidays. Thunderbird/Lightning can merge calendars on client
> side perfectly, Outlook 2003 (my wife demands it) can't and displays the
> calendars side by side which gets confusing.
>
> I guess other calendar clients have the same problem.

I haven't actually heard of any others that do it that way.

> So I'm looking for a solution to tell the server "for user $wife merge
> calendar '$husband $wife $public_holidays $waste_collection
> $daily_reciepes' together"
>
> Any ideas?

There is a trick you can do which is as follows:

1) Create a normal collection (not a calendar or addressbook) in your
wife's account.

2) BIND each of the collections to be merged into that collection
(there's been discussion about BIND on this mailing list before).

3) Enable the 'get_includes_subcollections' configuration option.

This will arrange things so that GET requests
on .../caldav.php/wifeusername/normalcollection.ics will return a merged
set of all of the bound collections.

Kinda complicated, and no UI for it :-(

The only problem is that this calendar will be read-only, so you might
still need to keep your wife's main collection separate so she can write
to that.

Cheers,
Andrew.
Each man is his own prisoner, in solitary confinement for life.