Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

Any news concerning iMIP?

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

steinberg at ibr

Any news concerning iMIP?

Hi,

in mid-january there has been a discussion on this list about invitations to external users, i.e. users that the server does not know. It turned out, that it is *probably* not too difficult to implement sending emails to external users on the DAViCal server. Has anyone made any progress on this issue. Did this issue made any progress on anyone's todo list? :-)

andrew at morphoss

Re: Any news concerning iMIP? [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 16:54 +0200, Frank Steinberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in mid-january there has been a discussion on this list about
> invitations to external users, i.e. users that the server does not
> know. It turned out, that it is *probably* not too difficult to
> implement sending emails to external users on the DAViCal server. Has
> anyone made any progress on this issue. Did this issue made any
> progress on anyone's todo list? :-)

I've (finally) started to look into this a bit further and there might
be something in the next release, though it will probably be off by
default at this point.

Cheers,
Andrew.
Building more free and open source software for everyone.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

steinberg at ibr

Re: Any news concerning iMIP? [In reply to]

Am 17.05.2012 um 04:21 schrieb Andrew McMillan:

> On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 16:54 +0200, Frank Steinberg wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in mid-january there has been a discussion on this list about
>> invitations to external users, i.e. users that the server does not
>> know. It turned out, that it is *probably* not too difficult to
>> implement sending emails to external users on the DAViCal server. Has
>> anyone made any progress on this issue. Did this issue made any
>> progress on anyone's todo list? :-)
>
> I've (finally) started to look into this a bit further and there might
> be something in the next release, though it will probably be off by
> default at this point.

I also started looking a bit closer on this issue. I created a new class iMIP, similar to iSchedule.php, and added calls, if iSchedule fails. As usual, more questions arise the closer I look into it. One problem: Some clients (at least iCal) PUT the event twice and it seems a bit tricky to me to make the server not send two almost identical emails.

andrew at morphoss

Re: Any news concerning iMIP? [In reply to]

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 12:13 +0200, Frank Steinberg wrote:
> Am 17.05.2012 um 04:21 schrieb Andrew McMillan:
>
> > On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 16:54 +0200, Frank Steinberg wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> in mid-january there has been a discussion on this list about
> >> invitations to external users, i.e. users that the server does not
> >> know. It turned out, that it is *probably* not too difficult to
> >> implement sending emails to external users on the DAViCal server. Has
> >> anyone made any progress on this issue. Did this issue made any
> >> progress on anyone's todo list? :-)
> >
> > I've (finally) started to look into this a bit further and there might
> > be something in the next release, though it will probably be off by
> > default at this point.
>
> I also started looking a bit closer on this issue. I created a new
> class iMIP, similar to iSchedule.php, and added calls, if iSchedule
> fails. As usual, more questions arise the closer I look into it. One
> problem: Some clients (at least iCal) PUT the event twice and it seems
> a bit tricky to me to make the server not send two almost identical
> emails.

My approach (so far as it goes) has been to create add a new function
into inc/schedule-functions.php to handle mail of the message, and to
call that from within the various other methods there, where you already
have an iTIP message to send.

The bigger issue for me is handling MIME properly, without pulling in a
whole raft of new & unknown dependencies for this one minor feature, but
I've spent some time looking over the RFCs and I think I have something
that's not too objectionable now.

Cheers,
Andrew.

He's just like Capistrano, always ready for a few swallows.

Re: Any news concerning iMIP? [In reply to]

Am 22.05.2012 um 20:44 schrieb Andrew McMillan:

> On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 12:13 +0200, Frank Steinberg wrote:

>>> I've (finally) started to look into this a bit further and there might
>>> be something in the next release, though it will probably be off by
>>> default at this point.
>>
>> I also started looking a bit closer on this issue. I created a new
>> class iMIP, similar to iSchedule.php, and added calls, if iSchedule
>> fails. As usual, more questions arise the closer I look into it. One
>> problem: Some clients (at least iCal) PUT the event twice and it seems
>> a bit tricky to me to make the server not send two almost identical
>> emails.
>
> My approach (so far as it goes) has been to create add a new function
> into inc/schedule-functions.php to handle mail of the message, and to
> call that from within the various other methods there, where you already
> have an iTIP message to send.

Isn't most of the code in schedule-functions.php only relevant for
DELETE calls? My understand of the code overview is way too limited,
I guess. :-/ I've added my calls in caldav-PUT-functions.php.

> The bigger issue for me is handling MIME properly, without pulling in a
> whole raft of new & unknown dependencies for this one minor feature, but
> I've spent some time looking over the RFCs and I think I have something
> that's not too objectionable now.

I've simply made use of Mail.php and Mail/mime.php.

If you'd like to take a look on my stuff, I could send patches or setup
a public git repository (though not yet really familiar with git and
probably applied some commits at stupid points).

mgiashmera at lavabit

Re: Any news concerning iMIP? [In reply to]

Hi,

> If you'd like to take a look on my stuff, I could send patches or setup
> a public git repository (though not yet really familiar with git and
> probably applied some commits at stupid points).

Are the patches still available?
I would like to have a look.

Thank you.
-