Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

Events on 5th week of the month in iCal

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

DSABATH at FASTMAIL

Events on 5th week of the month in iCal

I'm trying to create an event in iCal that only occurs on the 5th Monday of the month. There's a cute trick posted in the Apple Discussion Forum that allows one to manually edit the .ics file to have a line like this:

RRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=5MO

where the BYDAY=5MO indicates the 5th Monday. However, when I try to put this event into a davical calendar, I get an error in iCal that essentially forces me to "revert to server". I.e., I can't seem to create such an event in iCal/davical. Is this a known limitation of davical? Is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Dan

andrew at morphoss

Re: Events on 5th week of the month in iCal [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 12:22 -0700, Daniel E. Sabath wrote:
> I'm trying to create an event in iCal that only occurs on the 5th
> Monday of the month. There's a cute trick posted in the Apple
> Discussion Forum that allows one to manually edit the .ics file to
> have a line like this:
>
> RRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=5MO
>
> where the BYDAY=5MO indicates the 5th Monday. However, when I try to
> put this event into a davical calendar, I get an error in iCal that
> essentially forces me to "revert to server". I.e., I can't seem to
> create such an event in iCal/davical. Is this a known limitation of
> davical? Is there a workaround?

DAViCal does little validation of the actual iCalendar data, and
certainly does not stop you having a perfectly valid repeat rule like
that :-)

I'm not sure what kind of trick you're using in iCal, but possibly it
involves editing the local representation of the event, which means it
doesn't match DAViCal's prior representation.

One solution might be to move the event from the CalDAV server to a
local calendar, then do your editing trick, and then move it back to the
calendar that you want it in.

Another solution might be to edit your event in directly in your CalDAV
calendar with a (free) client like Lightning, or Mulberry which should
let you set the repeat rule you wanted, and then when iCal refreshes the
calendar it will (hopefully) understand the event you want.

Cheers,
Andrew.
Flexibility is overrated. Constraints are liberating.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

DSABATH at FASTMAIL

Re: Events on 5th week of the month in iCal [In reply to]

On May 14, 2012, at 1:40 AM, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 12:22 -0700, Daniel E. Sabath wrote:
>> I'm trying to create an event in iCal that only occurs on the 5th
>> Monday of the month. There's a cute trick posted in the Apple
>> Discussion Forum that allows one to manually edit the .ics file to
>> have a line like this:
>>
>> RRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=5MO
>>
>> where the BYDAY=5MO indicates the 5th Monday. However, when I try to
>> put this event into a davical calendar, I get an error in iCal that
>> essentially forces me to "revert to server". I.e., I can't seem to
>> create such an event in iCal/davical. Is this a known limitation of
>> davical? Is there a workaround?
>
> DAViCal does little validation of the actual iCalendar data, and
> certainly does not stop you having a perfectly valid repeat rule like
> that :-)
>
> I'm not sure what kind of trick you're using in iCal, but possibly it
> involves editing the local representation of the event, which means it
> doesn't match DAViCal's prior representation.
>
> One solution might be to move the event from the CalDAV server to a
> local calendar, then do your editing trick, and then move it back to the
> calendar that you want it in.
>
> Another solution might be to edit your event in directly in your CalDAV
> calendar with a (free) client like Lightning, or Mulberry which should
> let you set the repeat rule you wanted, and then when iCal refreshes the
> calendar it will (hopefully) understand the event you want.

Andrew,

I tried the trick of creating it in a local calendar (actually an iCloud calendar), and I was actually able to get an event to appear on the 5th Monday of those months with 5 Mondays. However, when I tried sending it to my DAViCal calendar I got:

The server responded with
500
to operation CalDAVWriteEntityQueueableOperation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

andrew at morphoss

Re: Events on 5th week of the month in iCal [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 14:54 -0700, Daniel E. Sabath wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> I tried the trick of creating it in a local calendar (actually an
> iCloud calendar), and I was actually able to get an event to appear on
> the 5th Monday of those months with 5 Mondays. However, when I tried
> sending it to my DAViCal calendar I got:
>
> The server responded with
> “500”
> to operation CalDAVWriteEntityQueueableOperation.
>
> Any suggestions?

I'd really be interested to see the Apache error log around that time.
There might be useful information in there about why DAViCal choked on
it.

If you can enable:

$c->dbg = array( 'statistics' => 1, 'request' => 1, 'response' => 1 );

before you do it (and then probably you want to disable that
afterwards).

A '500' error could well be some kind of bug in DAViCal and this logging
output might help me duplicate / fix the issue.

Thanks,
Andrew.

> Thanks,
>
> Dan

There are worse things than Perl....ASP comes to mind