Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

carddav list of contacts

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

charly.koehl-faber at sdis38

carddav list of contacts

Hello,

I want to use davical with thunderbird to share contacts. I installed
sogo plugin to connect
to davical, but my list of contacts don't be shared.
Is davical manage list of contacts or just contacts ?

Thank-you.

Charly KOEHl-FABER.

andrew at morphoss

Re: carddav list of contacts [In reply to]

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 17:45 +0200, KOEHL-FABER Charly wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I want to use davical with thunderbird to share contacts. I installed
> sogo plugin to connect
> to davical, but my list of contacts don't be shared.
> Is davical manage list of contacts or just contacts ?

Hi Charly,

Very recent versions of the SOGo connector should work OK with recent
versions of DAViCal. There was a problem a while back with versions of
SOGo that adhered to an early (superseded) implementation of WebDAV
synchronization which had problems with DAViCal, but that has been
resolved in the last few months.

Regards,
Andrew.
At that point it will compile, but segfault, as it should..
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

charly.koehl-faber at sdis38

Re: carddav list of contacts [In reply to]

Hi,

As we test with :
- Davical :
- Plugin SOGO : 10.0.1
- Thunderbird : 10.0.4 ESR
when we import around 1000 contact, Thunderbird is beging freezing,
and when we test create some contacts, all is correct,
but when we create "list of contacts", these lists are only local, there
cannot
be seeing by another user which share the contacts.

Thanks.

--
M Charly KOEHL-FABER
Chef de Bureau Informatique et Telecom

Courriel : charly.koehl-faber [at] sdis38
Tél : 04-76-26-89-15
Fax : 04-76-26-89-19

ETAT MAJOR - Direction des Systèmes d'Information
24, rue René Camphin
38602 FONTAINE CEDEX

chris at netcar24

Re: carddav list of contacts [In reply to]

hi,

--On Montag, Mai 14, 2012 11:03:32 +0200 KOEHL-FABER Charly
<charly.koehl-faber [at] sdis38> wrote:

> when we import around 1000 contact, Thunderbird is beging freezing,

same problem for me some month ago.
TB freezes on lange imports and SoGO for TB3.x had some bugs...

try using https://www.schnallich.net/index.php/Davical#cardDAV_mass_import
which uses php-curl to push a single large .vcf-file to davical server...
worked fine for me...

cheers,
chris

andrew at morphoss

Re: carddav list of contacts [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 11:55 +0200, Christoph Steidl wrote:
> hi,
>
> --On Montag, Mai 14, 2012 11:03:32 +0200 KOEHL-FABER Charly
> <charly.koehl-faber [at] sdis38> wrote:
>
> > when we import around 1000 contact, Thunderbird is beging freezing,
>
> same problem for me some month ago.
> TB freezes on lange imports and SoGO for TB3.x had some bugs...

One problem that I have seen with Thunderbird importing calendars is
that it tends to open a number of connections to the webserver and fire
all of the events into DAViCal in parallel. Two possible fixes to that:

1) Tell Lightning not to do that - possibly disable "pipelining" or
something. Not sure of the exact option, or even if it exists.

2) Enable memcached support in DAViCal. DAViCal uses this support to
implement per-collection locking so that the changes don't end up
colliding and causing deadlocks.

Calendars (and addressbooks) are typically accessed with a write
rarely / read frequently pattern so the deadlocks do not happen during
normal use.

> try using https://www.schnallich.net/index.php/Davical#cardDAV_mass_import
> which uses php-curl to push a single large .vcf-file to davical server...
> worked fine for me...

The next version also allows you to upload a file of VCARDs into an
addressbook just like the current version allows you to upload a file of
VEVENTs into a calendar.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Re: carddav list of contacts [In reply to]

Thank you for your response.
My real problem is the "list of contacts" which stay local.
Is it normal ?

PS : version of davical 1.0.2.

Thanks.

Le 14/05/2012 12:46, Andrew McMillan a crit :
> On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 11:55 +0200, Christoph Steidl wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> --On Montag, Mai 14, 2012 11:03:32 +0200 KOEHL-FABER Charly
>> <charly.koehl-faber [at] sdis38> wrote:
>>
>>> when we import around 1000 contact, Thunderbird is beging freezing,
>> same problem for me some month ago.
>> TB freezes on lange imports and SoGO for TB3.x had some bugs...
> One problem that I have seen with Thunderbird importing calendars is
> that it tends to open a number of connections to the webserver and fire
> all of the events into DAViCal in parallel. Two possible fixes to that:
>
> 1) Tell Lightning not to do that - possibly disable "pipelining" or
> something. Not sure of the exact option, or even if it exists.
>
> 2) Enable memcached support in DAViCal. DAViCal uses this support to
> implement per-collection locking so that the changes don't end up
> colliding and causing deadlocks.
>
> Calendars (and addressbooks) are typically accessed with a write
> rarely / read frequently pattern so the deadlocks do not happen during
> normal use.
>

>> try using https://www.schnallich.net/index.php/Davical#cardDAV_mass_import
>> which uses php-curl to push a single large .vcf-file to davical server...
>> worked fine for me...
> The next version also allows you to upload a file of VCARDs into an
> addressbook just like the current version allows you to upload a file of
> VEVENTs into a calendar.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew.

> Live Security Virtual Conference

M Charly KOEHL-FABER
Chef de Bureau Informatique et Telecom

Courriel : charly.koehl-faber [at] sdis38
Tl : 04-76-26-89-15
Fax : 04-76-26-89-19

ETAT MAJOR - Direction des Systmes d'Information
24, rue Ren Camphin
38602 FONTAINE CEDEX

andrew at morphoss

Re: carddav list of contacts [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 14:25 +0200, KOEHL-FABER Charly wrote:
> Thank you for your response.
> My real problem is the "list of contacts" which stay local.
> Is it normal ?
>
> PS : version of davical 1.0.2.

By 'stay local' you mean that they didn't actually get committed to the
DAViCal server. If you look in the DAViCal logs you may find a reason
for that. Perhaps the deadlock that I mentioned in my earlier e-mail.

I have not tried the SOGo connector myself, but I know DAViCal's CalDAV
support works OK with Evolution's WebDAV contacts, with CardDAV-Mate and
with Apple iOS/OSX Addressbook.

Cheers,
Andrew.

> Le 14/05/2012 12:46, Andrew McMillan a écrit :
> > On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 11:55 +0200, Christoph Steidl wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > --On Montag, Mai 14, 2012 11:03:32 +0200 KOEHL-FABER Charly

> > > same problem for me some month ago.
> > > TB freezes on lange imports and SoGO for TB3.x had some bugs...
> > One problem that I have seen with Thunderbird importing calendars is
> > that it tends to open a number of connections to the webserver and fire
> > all of the events into DAViCal in parallel. Two possible fixes to that:
> >
> > 1) Tell Lightning not to do that - possibly disable "pipelining" or
> > something. Not sure of the exact option, or even if it exists.
> >
> > 2) Enable memcached support in DAViCal. DAViCal uses this support to
> > implement per-collection locking so that the changes don't end up
> > colliding and causing deadlocks.
> >
> > Calendars (and addressbooks) are typically accessed with a write
> > rarely / read frequently pattern so the deadlocks do not happen during
> > normal use.
> >

> > > try using https://www.schnallich.net/index.php/Davical#cardDAV_mass_import
> > > which uses php-curl to push a single large .vcf-file to davical server...
> > > worked fine for me...
> > The next version also allows you to upload a file of VCARDs into an
> > addressbook just like the current version allows you to upload a file of
> > VEVENTs into a calendar.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andrew.

> > Live Security Virtual Conference

> M Charly KOEHL-FABER
> Chef de Bureau Informatique et Telecom
>
> Courriel : charly.koehl-faber [at] sdis38
> Tél : 04-76-26-89-15
> Fax : 04-76-26-89-19
>
> ETAT MAJOR - Direction des Systèmes d'Information
> 24, rue René Camphin
> 38602 FONTAINE CEDEX

Flexibility is overrated. Constraints are liberating.

Re: carddav list of contacts [In reply to]

Hi,

perhaps I'm not correctly explain.

I just want to learn if "list of contacts" or "diffusion list"" can
exists in davical.
All the contacts we created are correctly in davical, but I don't know
if the "diffusion
lists" are blocked by SOGO connector or by davical.

I have installed CardDAV-Mate just for this but we connot create diffusion
list. I have no error in logs of davical.

Thanks.

Re: carddav list of contacts [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 14:50 +0200, KOEHL-FABER Charly wrote:
> Hi,
>

> perhaps I'm not correctly explain.
>
> I just want to learn if "list of contacts" or "diffusion list"" can
> exists in davical.
> All the contacts we created are correctly in davical, but I don't know
> if the "diffusion lists" are blocked by SOGO connector or by davical.
>
> I have installed CardDAV-Mate just for this but we connot create
> diffusion list. I have no error in logs of davical.

Ah, the word you are looking for is "distribution list". Unfortunately
there is not much of a standard for distribution lists (it's not defined
in the VCARD RFC as far as I can see) and so vendors do these things in
a number of ways, some of which are supported by some CardDAV servers...

I don't know how SOGo implements distribution lists, but it would
certainly be interesting to take a look at whether it tries to even send
these lists to the server.

The log for DAViCal typically ends up in the Apache error log.

Regards,
Andrew.

> Thanks.
>

> Le 14/05/2012 14:31, Andrew McMillan a écrit :
> > On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 14:25 +0200, KOEHL-FABER Charly wrote:
> > > Thank you for your response.
> > > My real problem is the "list of contacts" which stay local.
> > > Is it normal ?
> > >
> > > PS : version of davical 1.0.2.
> > By 'stay local' you mean that they didn't actually get committed to the
> > DAViCal server. If you look in the DAViCal logs you may find a reason
> > for that. Perhaps the deadlock that I mentioned in my earlier e-mail.
> >
> > I have not tried the SOGo connector myself, but I know DAViCal's CalDAV
> > support works OK with Evolution's WebDAV contacts, with CardDAV-Mate and
> > with Apple iOS/OSX Addressbook.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andrew.

I'm having fun HITCHHIKING to CINCINNATI or FAR ROCKAWAY!!