Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

Davical & iphone problem

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mcc28x at gmail

Davical & iphone problem

Hi,

I'm completely new to Davical nad have what is probably a beginners problem!

I have set up davical and got it working fine with Thunderbird using
the url: http://thaddeus/davical/caldav.php/mark/calendar

I have followed the client configuation for the iphone but cannot
connect. I think the problem is with the url I'm using.

I have set server name to 'thaddeus' and put in my user name and
password. The iphone then asks about SSL, I click cancel and go into
advanced and turn off SSL change to port 80 and replace
'/principal/user/mark" with '/caldav.php/mark' - but it will not
connect.

The full URL that the iphone uses is http:mark [at] thaddeu/caldav.php/mark

I just get unable to verify account info. The apache error.log and
access.log show nothing.

Please help!

kind regards

Mark

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mcc28x [at] gmail

bebehei at googlemail

Re: Davical & iphone problem [In reply to]

2012/4/22 Mark Curry <mcc28x [at] gmail>:
> I have set up davical and got it working fine with Thunderbird using
> the url: http://thaddeus/davical/caldav.php/mark/calendar
>
> I have followed the client configuation for the iphone but cannot
> connect. I think the problem is with the url I'm using.

I registered yesterday on this list. Maybe we have got the same problem.
What Iphone/ios do you use?
With the iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3.5) my server is working correctly.
With my own iPhone 3g (iOS 4.0) my iPhone tells me: "Connection Failed,..."
Evolution as Client is also working correctly.

> I have set server name to 'thaddeus' and put in my user name and
> password. The iphone then asks about SSL, I click cancel and go into
> advanced and turn off SSL change to port 80 and replace
> '/principal/user/mark" with '/caldav.php/mark' - but it will not
> connect.
>(...)
> I just get unable to verify account info. The apache error.log and
> access.log show nothing.

Does it help: thaddeus.local

pinging from bebehei-lap to bebehei-lap is resolving 127.0.0.1
pinging from bebehei-lap to bebehei-lap.local is resolving 192.168.1.23
pinging from bebehei-lap to imac is failed
pinging from bebehei-lap to imac.local is 192.168.1.2

In this test, i think, you can replace imac with thaddeus.
Go with Safari on your davical-administration website.
Check it at first with the domain thaddeus and then with thaddeus.local.
Don't forget the entry in /etc/davical

Cheers, bebe

bebehei at googlemail

Re: Davical & iphone problem [In reply to]

2012/4/22 Mark Curry <mcc28x [at] gmail>:
> I have set up davical and got it working fine with Thunderbird using
> the url: http://thaddeus/davical/caldav.php/mark/calendar
>
> I have followed the client configuation for the iphone but cannot
> connect. I think the problem is with the url I'm using.

I registered yesterday on this list. Maybe we have got the same problem.
What Iphone/ios do you use?
With the iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3.5) my server is working correctly.
With my own iPhone 3g (iOS 4.0) my iPhone tells me: "Connection Failed,..."
Evolution as Client is also working correctly.

> I have set server name to 'thaddeus' and put in my user name and
> password. The iphone then asks about SSL, I click cancel and go into
> advanced and turn off SSL change to port 80 and replace
> '/principal/user/mark" with '/caldav.php/mark' - but it will not
> connect.
>(...)
> I just get unable to verify account info. The apache error.log and
> access.log show nothing.

Does it help: thaddeus.local

pinging from bebehei-lap to bebehei-lap is resolving 127.0.0.1
pinging from bebehei-lap to bebehei-lap.local is resolving 192.168.1.23
pinging from bebehei-lap to imac is failed
pinging from bebehei-lap to imac.local is 192.168.1.2

In this test, i think, you can replace imac with thaddeus.
Go with Safari on your davical-administration website.
Check it at first with the domain thaddeus and then with thaddeus.local.
Don't forget the entry in /etc/davical

Cheers, bebe

PS: i hope my new email will be accepted now by mailman.

mcc28x at gmail

Re: Davical & iphone problem [In reply to]

Hi,

I can open thaddeus.local in safari and see a directory listing, but
this hasn't helped on the iphone.

Here is my /etc/davical/thaddeus-conf.php

<?php
// $c->domain_name = "mydavicalsite.thaddeus";
// $c->sysabbr = 'davical';
$c->admin_email = 'admin [at] example';
$c->system_name = "Really Simple CalDAV Store";
// $c->collections_always_exist = true;
// $c->enable_row_linking = true;
// $c->default_locale = en_US.UTF-8;
$c->pg_connect[] = 'dbname=davical port=5432 user=davical_app';
?>

and here is my /etc/apache2/sites-available/mydavicalsite

#
# Virtual Host def for Debian package DAViCal
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /usr/share/davical/htdocs
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
ServerName mydavicalsite
ServerAlias calendar.mydavicalsite
Alias /images/ /usr/share/davical/htdocs/images/
<Directory /usr/share/davical/htdocs/>
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
php_value include_path /usr/share/awl/inc
php_value magic_quotes_gpc 0
php_value register_globals 0
php_value open_basedir 1
php_value error_reporting "E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE"
php_value default_charset "utf-8"
</VirtualHost>

I think something is wrong between the two?

thanks

Mark

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mcc28x [at] gmail

bebehei at googlemail

Re: Davical & iphone problem [In reply to]

Ok the IP should be right. What iOS version do you have?
Did you tested it with another iphone?

look at the other part of my email:

With the iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3.5) my server is working correctly.
With my own iPhone 3g (iOS 4.0) my iPhone tells me: "Connection Failed,..."
Evolution as Client is also working correctly.

bebe

mcc28x at gmail

Re: Davical & iphone problem [In reply to]

On 22/04/2012 16:14, Benedikt Heine wrote:
> Ok the IP should be right. What iOS version do you have?
> Did you tested it with another iphone?
>
> look at the other part of my email:
>
> With the iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3.5) my server is working correctly.
> With my own iPhone 3g (iOS 4.0) my iPhone tells me: "Connection Failed,..."
> Evolution as Client is also working correctly.
>
> bebe

I'm using iOS 5.1. Sorry I don't know which part of the email you mean?

regards

Mark

mcc28x at gmail

Re: Davical & iphone problem [In reply to]

Hi,

Pinging thaddeus.local resolves to 192.168.0.10

Pinging thaddeus resolves to 81.200.64.50

The former is correct the later is my ISP.

Not sure what to change though...

mcc28x@[nospam]gmail.com

On 22 Apr 2012, at 15:47, Benedikt Heine <bebehei [at] googlemail> wrote:

> 2012/4/22 Mark Curry <mcc28x [at] gmail>:
>> I have set up davical and got it working fine with Thunderbird using
>> the url: http://thaddeus/davical/caldav.php/mark/calendar
>>
>> I have followed the client configuation for the iphone but cannot
>> connect. I think the problem is with the url I'm using.
>
> I registered yesterday on this list. Maybe we have got the same problem.
> What Iphone/ios do you use?
> With the iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3.5) my server is working correctly.
> With my own iPhone 3g (iOS 4.0) my iPhone tells me: "Connection Failed,..."
> Evolution as Client is also working correctly.
>
>> I have set server name to 'thaddeus' and put in my user name and
>> password. The iphone then asks about SSL, I click cancel and go into
>> advanced and turn off SSL change to port 80 and replace
>> '/principal/user/mark" with '/caldav.php/mark' - but it will not
>> connect.
>> (...)
>> I just get unable to verify account info. The apache error.log and
>> access.log show nothing.
>
> Does it help: thaddeus.local
>
> pinging from bebehei-lap to bebehei-lap is resolving 127.0.0.1
> pinging from bebehei-lap to bebehei-lap.local is resolving 192.168.1.23
> pinging from bebehei-lap to imac is failed
> pinging from bebehei-lap to imac.local is 192.168.1.2
>
> In this test, i think, you can replace imac with thaddeus.
> Go with Safari on your davical-administration website.
> Check it at first with the domain thaddeus and then with thaddeus.local.
> Don't forget the entry in /etc/davical
>
> Cheers, bebe

andrew at morphoss

Re: Davical & iphone problem [In reply to]

On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 15:08 +0100, Mark Curry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm completely new to Davical nad have what is probably a beginners problem!
>
> I have set up davical and got it working fine with Thunderbird using
> the url: http://thaddeus/davical/caldav.php/mark/calendar
>
> I have followed the client configuation for the iphone but cannot
> connect. I think the problem is with the url I'm using.
>
> I have set server name to 'thaddeus' and put in my user name and
> password. The iphone then asks about SSL, I click cancel and go into
> advanced and turn off SSL change to port 80 and replace
> '/principal/user/mark" with '/caldav.php/mark' - but it will not
> connect.
>
> The full URL that the iphone uses is http:mark [at] thaddeu/caldav.php/mark
>
> I just get unable to verify account info. The apache error.log and
> access.log show nothing.

Hi Mark,

Using a full domain name may be helpful for the phone. Just 'thaddeus'
seems likely to be prone to failure, and won't work anywhere but on a
private network.

If you install DAViCal in a subdirectory as you appear to, you will need
to include that into your configuration for the phone, too, like:

http://thaddeus/davical/caldav.php/

The iPhone will discover things once it has got that far. A calendar
URL (i.e. what Lightning uses) is not useful for the iPhone (or any
Apple calendar- or addressbook- software).

Cheers,
Andrew.

: is not an identifier
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

andrew at morphoss

Re: Davical & iphone problem [In reply to]

On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 16:08 +0100, Mark Curry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can open thaddeus.local in safari and see a directory listing, but
> this hasn't helped on the iphone.
>
> Here is my /etc/davical/thaddeus-conf.php
>
> <?php
> // $c->domain_name = "mydavicalsite.thaddeus";
> // $c->sysabbr = 'davical';
> $c->admin_email = 'admin [at] example';
> $c->system_name = "Really Simple CalDAV Store";
> // $c->collections_always_exist = true;
> // $c->enable_row_linking = true;
> // $c->default_locale = en_US.UTF-8;
> $c->pg_connect[] = 'dbname=davical port=5432 user=davical_app';
> ?>
>
> and here is my /etc/apache2/sites-available/mydavicalsite
>
> #
> # Virtual Host def for Debian package DAViCal
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> DocumentRoot /usr/share/davical/htdocs
> DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
> ServerName mydavicalsite
> ServerAlias calendar.mydavicalsite
> Alias /images/ /usr/share/davical/htdocs/images/
> <Directory /usr/share/davical/htdocs/>
> AllowOverride None
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> </Directory>
> php_value include_path /usr/share/awl/inc
> php_value magic_quotes_gpc 0
> php_value register_globals 0
> php_value open_basedir 1
> php_value error_reporting "E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE"
> php_value default_charset "utf-8"
> </VirtualHost>
>
> I think something is wrong between the two?

Firstly: you're using some old and incorrect installation doc from
somewhere, because you have a bogus 'open_basedir' setting. Remove
this, before it shoots you in the foot.

Secondly, rename your configuration file to "config.php" rather than the
domain-name based one. Using domain-name-based configurations is only
necessary if you want to run multiple DAViCal instances on the same
host, and you have to be careful that *every* domain name you use is
linked - it's easier to just name it config.php and have it catch
everything.

I think the main problem you have is with the domain name. This
VirtualHost definition suggests that the site will be accessed as
'calendar.mydavicalsite' or 'mydavicalsite' and not as 'thaddeus' or
'thaddeus.local'. That might work if it's the only virtualhost running,
but it could still be giving the DAViCal code the wrong idea of what
servername it is actually operating as.

It's much better if you are consistent, and especially if you are
consistent and use the full domain name.

Also check that you can browse to the DAViCal admin login page using the
web browser on the phone. What domain name do you use to do that? If
you can't do that, then the calendar won't be able to reach that server
either...

Cheers,
Andrew.

> thanks
>
> Mark
>
> On 22 April 2012 15:47, Benedikt Heine <bebehei [at] googlemail> wrote:
> > 2012/4/22 Mark Curry <mcc28x [at] gmail>:
> >> I have set up davical and got it working fine with Thunderbird using
> >> the url: http://thaddeus/davical/caldav.php/mark/calendar
> >>
> >> I have followed the client configuation for the iphone but cannot
> >> connect. I think the problem is with the url I'm using.
> >
> > I registered yesterday on this list. Maybe we have got the same problem.
> > What Iphone/ios do you use?
> > With the iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3.5) my server is working correctly.
> > With my own iPhone 3g (iOS 4.0) my iPhone tells me: "Connection Failed,..."
> > Evolution as Client is also working correctly.
> >
> >> I have set server name to 'thaddeus' and put in my user name and
> >> password. The iphone then asks about SSL, I click cancel and go into
> >> advanced and turn off SSL change to port 80 and replace
> >> '/principal/user/mark" with '/caldav.php/mark' - but it will not
> >> connect.
> >>(...)
> >> I just get unable to verify account info. The apache error.log and
> >> access.log show nothing.
> >
> > Does it help: thaddeus.local
> >
> > pinging from bebehei-lap to bebehei-lap is resolving 127.0.0.1
> > pinging from bebehei-lap to bebehei-lap.local is resolving 192.168.1.23
> > pinging from bebehei-lap to imac is failed
> > pinging from bebehei-lap to imac.local is 192.168.1.2
> >
> > In this test, i think, you can replace imac with thaddeus.
> > Go with Safari on your davical-administration website.
> > Check it at first with the domain thaddeus and then with thaddeus.local.
> > Don't forget the entry in /etc/davical
> >
> > Cheers, bebe

Praise the sea; on shore remain.
-- John Florio

Re: Davical & iphone problem [In reply to]

Hi Andrew,

I have renamed my davical config file to /etc/davical/conf.php and
amended the virtual hosts file to ServerName thaddeus and renamed the
file to thaddeus.

My laptop now connects to the admin page http://thaddeus.local/davical/
or 192.168.0.10/davical and my iphone can browse successfully to the
same pages.

I still have no success to add the caldav account on the iphone though,
I don't really understand why using server thaddeus.local doesn't work?

I'm a bit reluctant to edit my hostname and hosts file to introduce a
FQDN purely because I don't want to 'screw up' anything else as a result!

Any further suggestions to solve this at all?

regards

Mark