Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

LDAP session refresh problem

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

arthooz at man

LDAP session refresh problem

Hi Andrew, hi all,
we noticed some problems with davical and ldap in our company. Sometimes
happens that ldap server crashes, and after that davical logs:

[error] [client ...] davical: ***: ERROR:Couldn't contact LDAP server
for authentication
[error] [client ...] PHP Warning: ldap_bind() [<a
href='function.ldap-bind'>function.ldap-bind</a>]: Unable to bind to
server: Can't contact LDAP server in /path/davical/inc/drivers_ldap.php
on line 97

Nothing special so far, but when ldap server get back to life, there is
no possibility to access any calendar via Thunderbird, because login
dialog popups continuously.
The only way to fix this is to delete such calendar from
Thunderbird/Lightning and recreate it.
Furthermore, when ldap server goes online, there is no problem to login
to davical through web interface. What do you think, it’s problem with
davical or Lighting?
It’s somehow connected with ldap session refresh...

Best regards,
Artur

Artur Kryszak
artur.kryszak [at] man
Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center

malgoyre at pytheas

Re: LDAP session refresh problem [In reply to]

Hi,

We had the same issue. You should take a look on the mail lists in JAN 2012.

When i had put the ldap server on localhost (with davical) the problem were disappear (No problems since jan 2012 in prod environment).

This not seems to be a network problem or an ldap daemon problem.

Andrew was interested to test some ldap tweaks on our configuration but we have not enough time to test-it.

Regards,

Adrien

Le 23 avr. 2012 09:43, Artur Kryszak a crit :

> Hi Andrew, hi all,
> we noticed some problems with davical and ldap in our company. Sometimes
> happens that ldap server crashes, and after that davical logs:
>
> [error] [client ...] davical: ***: ERROR:Couldn't contact LDAP server
> for authentication
> [error] [client ...] PHP Warning: ldap_bind() [<a
> href='function.ldap-bind'>function.ldap-bind</a>]: Unable to bind to
> server: Can't contact LDAP server in /path/davical/inc/drivers_ldap.php
> on line 97
>
> Nothing special so far, but when ldap server get back to life, there is
> no possibility to access any calendar via Thunderbird, because login
> dialog popups continuously.
> The only way to fix this is to delete such calendar from
> Thunderbird/Lightning and recreate it.
> Furthermore, when ldap server goes online, there is no problem to login
> to davical through web interface. What do you think, its problem with
> davical or Lighting?
> Its somehow connected with ldap session refresh...
>
> Best regards,
> Artur

> Artur Kryszak
> artur.kryszak [at] man
> Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center

Adrien Malgoyre
Service Informatique - OSU Pythas (SIP)
CNRS - UMS 3470
Tel: 04-91-05-69-75

OSU Institut Pythas
Ple de l'toile - Site de Chteau-Gombert
38, rue Frdric Joliot-Curie
13388 Marseille Cedex 13

arthooz at man

Re: LDAP session refresh problem [In reply to]

Hi Adrien,

thank you for your response.
In our case, there is no such possibility to put davical and ldap on the
same machine - ldap runs in HA mode on two servers since a while.
We had similar problems (ldap session refresh) with older
applications/libraries but davical isn't old at all...

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
If there will be any upgrades/fixes we could test it in free time.

Regards,
Artur

andrew at morphoss

Re: LDAP session refresh problem [In reply to]

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 12:13 +0200, Artur Kryszak wrote:
> Hi Adrien,
>
> thank you for your response.
> In our case, there is no such possibility to put davical and ldap on the
> same machine - ldap runs in HA mode on two servers since a while.
> We had similar problems (ldap session refresh) with older
> applications/libraries but davical isn't old at all...
>
> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
> If there will be any upgrades/fixes we could test it in free time.

Hi Artur,

I think it would be great if someone wrote the code to add some kind of
retry and/or back-off to the LDAP query, etc, but I don't have access to
any such environments for me to develop this stuff for DAViCal myself.

A simple solution might be for DAViCal to return a 5xx error code when
the actual LDAP connection fails, vs. the 401 lookup when authentication
fails. I wouldn't want to introduce such a change blind, though - it
would need to be confirmed working for it to be worthwhile.

Regards,
Andrew.

> W dniu 2012-04-23 10:42, Adrien Malgoyre pisze:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We had the same issue. You should take a look on the mail lists in JAN
> > 2012.
> >
> > When i had put the ldap server on localhost (with davical) the problem
> > were disappear (No problems since jan 2012 in prod environment).
> >
> > This not seems to be a network problem or an ldap daemon problem.
> >
> > Andrew was interested to test some ldap tweaks on our configuration
> > but we have not enough time to test-it.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Adrien
> >

> > Le 23 avr. 2012 à 09:43, Artur Kryszak a écrit :
> >
> >> Hi Andrew, hi all,
> >> we noticed some problems with davical and ldap in our company. Sometimes
> >> happens that ldap server crashes, and after that davical logs:
> >>
> >> [error] [client ...] davical: ***: ERROR:Couldn't contact LDAP server
> >> for authentication
> >> [error] [client ...] PHP Warning: ldap_bind() [<a
> >> href='function.ldap-bind'>function.ldap-bind</a>]: Unable to bind to
> >> server: Can't contact LDAP server in /path/davical/inc/drivers_ldap.php
> >> on line 97
> >>
> >> Nothing special so far, but when ldap server get back to life, there is
> >> no possibility to access any calendar via Thunderbird, because login
> >> dialog popups continuously.
> >> The only way to fix this is to delete such calendar from
> >> Thunderbird/Lightning and recreate it.
> >> Furthermore, when ldap server goes online, there is no problem to login
> >> to davical through web interface. What do you think, it’s problem with
> >> davical or Lighting?
> >> It’s somehow connected with ldap session refresh...
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Artur
> >>
> >> --
> >> -----------------------------------------------
> >> Artur Kryszak
> >> artur.kryszak [at] man <mailto:artur.kryszak [at] man>
> >> Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center
> >> -----------------------------------------------

> > /--/
> > Adrien Malgoyre
> > /Service Informatique - OSU Pythéas (SIP)/
> > /CNRS - UMS 3470/
> > /Tel: 04-91-05-69-75/
> > /
> > /
> > /OSU Institut Pythéas/
> > /Pôle de l'étoile - Site de Château-Gombert/
> > /38, rue Frédéric Joliot-Curie/
> > /13388 Marseille Cedex 13/

Not only does that get people interested in sciences and all the related
fields, [but] it transforms the culture into one that values science and
technology, and that's the culture that innovates.
-- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

jan.mate at inf-it

Re: LDAP session refresh problem [In reply to]

Hi Artur,

here is a patch consulted with Andrew:

http://www.inf-it.com/fixes/drivers_ldap.php.diff

JM

arthooz at man

Re: LDAP session refresh problem [In reply to]

Hi Andrew, Jn,

sorry for such a log delay in response.
We have finally tested patch. Here is our test scenario:
Precondition - LDAP server runs.
Steps:
1. Add calendar to Lightning.
2. Add test event to calendar.
3. Try to synchronize.
4. Shut down LDAP server.
5. Try to synchronize.
6. Apply Jns patch.
7. Try to synchronize.
8. Start LDAP server.
9. Try to synchronize.

Until step 4. everything was ok. After shut down of LDAP server we
executed step 5.
Synchronization failed and Lightning started to display login popup
continuously.
After application of the patch and another login attempt popup stopped
to display -- that's good.
When we started LDAP server once again step 9. worked smoothly.

After application of patch, Lightning logged (translation from Polish):
Warning: An error occurred while reading data for calendar davical test.
However, this error is probably not serious, so the program tries to
continue. Error code: DAV_REPORT_ERROR. Description: An error occurred
while reading data for calendar
http://server/caldav.php/arthooz/calendar/. It has been turned off until
when will it be safe to use.
Warning: An error occurred while reading data for calendar davical test.
However, this error is probably not serious, so the program tries to
continue. Error code: READ_FAILED. Description:

We inspected davical response in Firebug, and it returned 500 instead of
503.
Why? Answer in logs:
[Mon May 14 11:42:31 2012] [error] [client ...] PHP Fatal error: Call
to a member function DoResponse() on a non-object in
/path_to_davical/inc/drivers_ldap.php on line 298

It is connected with introduced global $request...
To sum up, we have almost working patch :)
Could you please try to fix it, so we can test it once again?

Best regards,
Artur

Re: LDAP session refresh problem [In reply to]

Thanks for the (excellent) report.

Looks like we have to just directly respond with a 503 there since we
haven't got far enough into the processing to use the library at that
point.

Try the changes in this commit (or just pull the current file):
http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/commit/a267a251659acf3bb311e3bf6cdc1f1fee8b4b39

I also added a single retry-after-sleep into the process to try and help
things better survive very short outages more seamlessly.

Regards,
Andrew.

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 12:26 +0200, Artur Kryszak wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> I think it would be great if someone wrote the code to add some kind of
> >> retry and/or back-off to the LDAP query, etc, but I don't have access to
> >> any such environments for me to develop this stuff for DAViCal myself.
> >>
> >> A simple solution might be for DAViCal to return a 5xx error code when
> >> the actual LDAP connection fails, vs. the 401 lookup when authentication
> >> fails. I wouldn't want to introduce such a change blind, though - it
> >> would need to be confirmed working for it to be worthwhile.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Andrew.

> >> --
> >> andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com +64(272)DEBIAN
> >> Not only does that get people interested in sciences and all the related
> >> fields, [but] it transforms the culture into one that values science and
> >> technology, and that's the culture that innovates.

Some marriages are made in heaven -- but so are thunder and lightning.