Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!?

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

Jens.Langner at light-speed

CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!?

Hi Andrew,

I am a long time DAViCal user and have multiple Apple clients running
with it (iOS and OSX). So far I didn't have any problems with it when
explicitly using CalDAV only. However, CardDAV support is given me a
hard time. At some point (prior to the 1.0 release of DAViCal) even
CardDAV was working fine.

But it always was kinda flaky when trying to sync CardDAV entries
between different devices. E.g. when creating/editing/syncing entries
between iOS devices everything seemed to work fine. However, OSX clients
didn't see new entries created on iOS for example.

Now it even got worse. Currently I am running the latest git version of
DAViCal on my server and while between iOS devices new entries seem to
arrive fine, OSX clients refuse to work at all at the moment. I even
tried downgrading to the official 1.0.2 release but it didn't help. I
now removed all my CardDAV entries in OSX Addressbook and reconfigured
it from scratch. While perfectly connecting to my DAViCal server, it
refuses to show any of the CardDAV entries my iOS devices show. Also the
web interface of DAViCal perfectly shows 37 number of items in my
addressbook collection.
To debug the situation I even tried to create new items using OSX
Addressbook, but my apache error_log shows the following entry after
trying that. In addition, the web interface of DAViCal didn't increment
the number of entries in my addressbook collection after having added a
test item.

See here:

-- cut here --
davical: LOG: :Response status 500 for POST
/caldav.php/damato/addressbook/9b939374-f22f-4740-939a-d4171f222d69.vcf
davical: LOG: :***************** Response Header ****************
davical: LOG: headers:-->X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.10-pl2-gentoo
davical: LOG: headers:-->Server: 1.0
davical: LOG: headers:-->DAV: 1, 2, 3, access-control, calendar-access,
calendar-schedule
davical: LOG: headers:-->DAV: extended-mkcol, bind, addressbook,
calendar-auto-schedule, calendar-proxy
davical: LOG: headers:-->X-DAViCal-Version: DAViCal/1.0.2; DB/1.2.11
davical: LOG: headers:-->Content-type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
davical: LOG: :******************** Response ********************
davical: LOG: response:-->The application program does not understand
that request.
-- cut here --

So there really seems to be some severe problems when using DAViCal
1.0.2+ with the OSX addressbook. Do you have any hint as what is
happening and how I could help you in debugging the current situation?
And I am more than willing in helping you debugging things and getting
full OSX/iOS support back for CardDAV in DAViCal.

best regards,
jens
--
Jens Langner, Dresden/Germany
http://www.jens-langner.de/

Axel.Rau at Chaos1

Re: CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!? [In reply to]

Hi Jens,

Am 16.04.2012 um 10:57 schrieb Jens Langner:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I am a long time DAViCal user
Me too.
> and have multiple Apple clients running
> with it (iOS and OSX).
Same here.
> So far I didn't have any problems with it when
> explicitly using CalDAV only.
Yes.
> However, CardDAV support is given me a
> hard time. At some point (prior to the 1.0 release of DAViCal) even
> CardDAV was working fine.
>
> But it always was kinda flaky when trying to sync CardDAV entries
> between different devices. E.g. when creating/editing/syncing entries
> between iOS devices everything seemed to work fine. However, OSX clients
> didn't see new entries created on iOS for example.
Between IOS everything works fine, Changes made in Addressbook (currently 5.0.3 on 10.6.8) are often not correctly stored on the server.
One recent example. I added 2 new entries in Addressbook and deleted one. The 2 new vCards are seen on all other devices (including Macs), the deletion not.
My observations are:
1. single step operations mostly succeed (select a vCard, push the 'modify' button, make changes, release 'modify' button)
2. Combining such steps (without waiting for busy indicator to disappear), or copying vCards into groups /deleting vCards from Addressbook often fails.
3. If it fails, it locks up in some way (bad work request sitting in Addressbooks work queue?).

I have about 500 vCards and do everything via SSL (which makes it hard to trace tcp).

I did not succeed, logging write operations. I have
$c->action_log_name = "/some_path_to_world_writable_file";
in my config/config.php. (Any hints welcome).

Axel
---
PGP-Key:29E99DD6 ☀ +49 151 2300 9283 ☀ computing @ chaos claudius

jan.mate at inf-it

Re: CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!? [In reply to]

As the CardDavMATE developer I found extreme amount of bugs in Addressbook.app (for example: there is no support for multiple addressbook collections - if you have more than one addressbook collection Lion selects one of them and the rest are invisible/unusable even if you manually edit the plist file, many segfaults, poor interface, ...).

I really don't understand why Apple not uses the same software (at least the library part) for Macs and also for iOS.

The iOS CardDav implementation has only two major problems:
- it is not possible to move contacts between collections
- it segfaults if you fill the address entries for some countries (select Ukraine and fill the "Postal District")

JM

On Apr 16, 2012, at 3:24 PM, Axel Rau wrote:

> Hi Jens,
>
> Am 16.04.2012 um 10:57 schrieb Jens Langner:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> I am a long time DAViCal user
> Me too.
>> and have multiple Apple clients running
>> with it (iOS and OSX).
> Same here.
>> So far I didn't have any problems with it when
>> explicitly using CalDAV only.
> Yes.
>> However, CardDAV support is given me a
>> hard time. At some point (prior to the 1.0 release of DAViCal) even
>> CardDAV was working fine.
>>
>> But it always was kinda flaky when trying to sync CardDAV entries
>> between different devices. E.g. when creating/editing/syncing entries
>> between iOS devices everything seemed to work fine. However, OSX clients
>> didn't see new entries created on iOS for example.
> Between IOS everything works fine, Changes made in Addressbook (currently 5.0.3 on 10.6.8) are often not correctly stored on the server.
> One recent example. I added 2 new entries in Addressbook and deleted one. The 2 new vCards are seen on all other devices (including Macs), the deletion not.
> My observations are:
> 1. single step operations mostly succeed (select a vCard, push the 'modify' button, make changes, release 'modify' button)
> 2. Combining such steps (without waiting for busy indicator to disappear), or copying vCards into groups /deleting vCards from Addressbook often fails.
> 3. If it fails, it locks up in some way (bad work request sitting in Addressbooks work queue?).
>
> I have about 500 vCards and do everything via SSL (which makes it hard to trace tcp).
>
> I did not succeed, logging write operations. I have
> $c->action_log_name = "/some_path_to_world_writable_file";
> in my config/config.php. (Any hints welcome).
>
> Axel
> ---
> PGP-Key:29E99DD6 ☀ +49 151 2300 9283 ☀ computing @ chaos claudius

ingo at envirology

Re: CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!? [In reply to]

On 17/04/2012 8:07 a.m., Ján Máté wrote:
> As the CardDavMATE developer I found extreme amount of bugs in Addressbook.app (for example: there is no support for multiple addressbook collections - if you have more than one addressbook collection Lion selects one of them and the rest are invisible/unusable even if you manually edit the plist file, many segfaults, poor interface, ...).
>
> I really don't understand why Apple not uses the same software (at least the library part) for Macs and also for iOS.
>
> The iOS CardDav implementation has only two major problems:
> - it is not possible to move contacts between collections
> - it segfaults if you fill the address entries for some countries (select Ukraine and fill the "Postal District")

There is the long standing "birthday" bug in timezones +-12 hours in iOS
addressbook.
I am in NZ (GMT*12) and EVERY TIME I enter or change a birthday in iOS
Addressbook, it saves it as a day later. I enter 24.05.1974 and I can
trace the TCP conversation with the carddav server where iOS saves it as
25.05.1974 which the carddav server quite willingly accepts - of course.
iOS reads it back and magically a 25.05.1974 appears a second after you
saved it in iOS. If you now change any other detail at any other time,
the whole process repeats (ie 26.05.1974) until such time your birthdays
are totally out of sync.
I cannot use iOS addressbook via carddav.

Switching the timezone to Europe solves all those issues but of course
does not help ME...

Cheers,
Ingo

Axel.Rau at chaos1

Re: CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!? [In reply to]

Am 17.04.2012 um 00:12 schrieb Ingo Ratsdorf:

There is the long standing "birthday" bug in timezones +-12 hours in iOS
addressbook.
Nice to hear that birthdays work at all with carddav+caldav. I never saw birthdays since I moved my address book to davical.
Apple did close the report:
http://openradar.appspot.com/3758455
Hopefully we get the IOS functionality in Mountain Lion.

Axel
---

Re: CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!? [In reply to]

Hi Alex,

well, at some point I definitely had everything working fine in
Adressbook.app on OSX Lion. But currently it simply does not show any
addressbook items anymore when I connect to my davical server. And I
dunno why and when this happens. And currently it seems to hard to
actually debug davical that I can't really help. However, I really want
to get things fixed before I have to consider switching to opencloud or
other dav-kinda services.

Any help in how I can debug the current situation and help Andrew fixing
the bug in DAViCal would be appreciated.

best regards,
jens

Re: CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!? [In reply to]

Am 18.04.2012 um 09:30 schrieb Jens Langner:

> And currently it seems to hard to
> actually debug davical that I can't really help.
Could you provide a tcpdump from startup of Addressbook upto inserting a new address and post it here?

Axel
---

Re: CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!? [In reply to]

Hi Alex,

I am also using SSL connection, so a tcpdump would be problematic. I
really you prefer it if DAViCal could log a bit better such things.

I now even tried to downgrade my DAViCal installation until 0.9.9.6, but
it doesn't solve the problem.

Very disappointing, especially since no one else seem to have severe
problems with it and I wonder why these problems haven't been reported
here earlier.

best regards,
jens

Re: CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!? [In reply to]

Am 18.04.2012 um 09:30 schrieb Jens Langner:

> well, at some point I definitely had everything working fine in
> Adressbook.app on OSX Lion. But currently it simply does not show any
> addressbook items anymore when I connect to my davical server. And I
> dunno why and when this happens.
Could this be after upgrading OSX to 10.7.3?
I just came around this thread:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.groupware.sogo.user/8766
Axel
---

Re: CardDAV not working with OSX Addressbook client?!? [In reply to]

Hi Alex,

that could actually be. However, I do not have an older version of Lion
installed somewhere so I could not test that. I also verified again that
using iOS carddav seems to work fine. Just the Addressbook.app of OSX
Lion seems not to work. The question still remains why and how to find a
potential workaround.

best regards,
jens