Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

Deleting calendars from iCal

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

dev at weinlein

Deleting calendars from iCal

Hi,

I want to discuss some details to bug reported yesterday:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=890788&aid=3514849&group_id=179845

iCal stops syncing after deleting a calendar and reports an error.
But it seems to my like deleting the calendar is not really the problem itself.

The last request sent by iCal is "PROPPATCH /caldav.php/USER/.in/" and the response is always "HTTP/1.1 409 Conflict" with the following descriptions
- "The calendar-free-busy-set is superseded by the schedule-transp property of a calendar collection."
- "Some properties were not able to be changed."

It would be great if somebody would explain some details to me.
Is this a bug within iCal or davical?

The davical log is attached.

Thanks,
Andreas
Attachments: davical_error_log.txt (8.91 KB)

andrew at morphoss

Re: Deleting calendars from iCal [In reply to]

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 12:01 +0200, Andreas Weinlein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to discuss some details to bug reported yesterday:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=890788&aid=3514849&group_id=179845
>
> iCal stops syncing after deleting a calendar and reports an error.
> But it seems to my like deleting the calendar is not really the problem itself.
>
> The last request sent by iCal is "PROPPATCH /caldav.php/USER/.in/" and the response is always "HTTP/1.1 409 Conflict" with the following descriptions
> - "The calendar-free-busy-set is superseded by the schedule-transp property of a calendar collection."
> - "Some properties were not able to be changed."
>
> It would be great if somebody would explain some details to me.
> Is this a bug within iCal or davical?
>
> The davical log is attached.

iCal is attempting to PROPPATCH the property 'calendar-free-busy-set'
which is invalid, reflecting adherence to an old version of the draft
CalDAV scheduling proposal. It attempts to set this property to a list
of calendars which should be examined to calculate the user's free/busy
data.

Newer versions of the proposed scheduling extensions use a flag set on
each calendar collection.

DAViCal returns an error in the case of attempting to PROPPATCH the
older style pre-standard property because it will achieve nothing to do
so. The server needs to calculate the free/busy, and so it needs to
know which of a user's calendar contribute to the free/busy data. To do
this DAViCal follows the more recent version of the specification.

I wasn't aware of the user-visibility of the issue (DELETE of calendars
is usually a very low frequency action, I guess) but I suppose DAViCal
could just silently drop the request if it would make a difference to
iCal.

I think there are two bugs in iCal for this:

(1) It should be using the schedule-calendar-transp property on each
collection, rather than this property on the scheduling inbox.

(2) Failing the PROPPATCH should not stop it in it's tracks.

It's also arguable whether DAViCal's "409 Conflict" is the correct
response, but rereading:

http://www.webdav.org/specs/rfc4918.html#METHOD_PROPPATCH

It seems like an appropriate answer.

However as a result of your report I've gone through the PROPPATCH
specification again, and reviewed the output that I am sending on error
conditions like this, and it looks like DAViCal has been producing
incorrect XML for these cases. It may be that this is what is causing
iCal to choke, and I'll just fix that all up now...

Finally, DAViCal's error message also contains a typo in that it refers
to the property as "schedule-transp" when in fact the property is called
"schedule-calendar-transp". I've fixed that in Git now.

Regards,
Andrew McMillan.

Consultation, n.:
Medical term meaning "to share the wealth."