Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

Calendar suddenly read-only

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tim at riseone

Mar 2, 2012, 8:10 AM

Calendar suddenly read-only

Hi all,

Back in mid January one of our users started to have problems with a calendar. Mid-January was the last time they were able to create an event for the calendar in question. Now they can see all the events in the calendar but cannot create or update events. I've now had time to look at the issue in more depth.

In Apache I see:

[02/Mar/2012:15:39:14 +0000] "PUT /cal/caldav.php/user2/home/ HTTP/1.1" 405 397 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101208 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.7"

That 405 response is telling me the PUT is trying to put something into the calendar buts its read-only.

user1, user2, user3 all have read/write access to the user2 calendar. We use "Privileges granted to All Users:" to mark the calendar as read/write. There are no individual principal grants and no group memberships.

Now user1 can read/write to the user2 calendar but user3 for some reason now only has read access.

I'm stumped as to what to check in the UI for DAViCal because it looks like it should be working.

We've not made any changes to DAViCal or the database (still at the same PostgreSQL version) so I'm not sure what happened mid-January to cause this read-only problem.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tim.

tim at titley

Mar 3, 2012, 3:48 AM

Re: Calendar suddenly read-only [In reply to]

Hi Tim,

We were having problems with 4xx type errors and strange happenings
using Lightning.

Imagine the following:

2 users - user1 and user2

User2 wishes to access a calendar belonging to user1 called calendar1.

We found that user2 would need write permissions at both these levels:

/cal/caldav.php/user1
/cal/caldav.php/user1/calendar1

I suspect that the reason for this is that lightning checks the
permissions at the first level and uses that.

To resolve this problem and avoid setting the permissions at the user
level, we used dav binds - so you would bind for instance:

/cal/caldav.php/user2/user2-calendar1

/cal/caldav.php/user1/calendar1

and set permissions for /cal/caldav.php/user1/calendar1 as you see fit.

For binds to work with Lightning, you will need a more recent version
than the one you are using (therefore a more recent version of Thunderbird).

Kind Regards,

Tim

On 02/03/12 16:10, tim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Back in mid January one of our users started to have problems with a
> calendar. Mid-January was the last time they were able to create an
> event for the calendar in question. Now they can see all the events in
> the calendar but cannot create or update events. I've now had time to
> look at the issue in more depth.
>
> In Apache I see:
>
> [02/Mar/2012:15:39:14 +0000] "PUT /cal/caldav.php/user2/home/
> HTTP/1.1" 405 397 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US;
> rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101208 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.7"
>
> That 405 response is telling me the PUT is trying to put something
> into the calendar buts its read-only.
>
> user1, user2, user3 all have read/write access to the user2 calendar.
> We use "Privileges granted to All Users:" to mark the calendar as
> read/write. There are no individual principal grants and no group
> memberships.
>
> Now user1 can read/write to the user2 calendar but user3 for some
> reason now only has read access.
>
> I'm stumped as to what to check in the UI for DAViCal because it looks
> like it should be working.
>
> We've not made any changes to DAViCal or the database (still at the
> same PostgreSQL version) so I'm not sure what happened mid-January to
> cause this read-only problem.
>
> Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim.

andrew at morphoss

Mar 4, 2012, 1:13 AM

Re: Calendar suddenly read-only [In reply to]

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 16:10 +0000, tim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Back in mid January one of our users started to have problems with a
> calendar. Mid-January was the last time they were able to create an
> event for the calendar in question. Now they can see all the events in
> the calendar but cannot create or update events. I've now had time to
> look at the issue in more depth.

The interesting thing to note about this is that:

> [02/Mar/2012:15:39:14 +0000] "PUT /cal/caldav.php/user2/home/
> HTTP/1.1" 405 397

the PUT is against the calendar URL...

So the user's software is configured to write the whole calendar on
change. That's called WebDAV, not CalDAV, when it happens that way.

DAViCal explicitly defaults to read-only WebDAV, in order that such
situations are noticed, and the user's configuration is fixed to use
CalDAV.

Cheers,
Andrew.

War is an equal opportunity destroyer.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

tim at riseone

Mar 12, 2012, 3:58 AM

Re: Calendar suddenly read-only [In reply to]

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure why Lightning has started to do that. They can create events for other users via Lightning but not for this user - user2.

When I look at the properties for the user2 calendar is looks like what I have in Lightning and I can create events for user2. Is there anywhere else in Lightning that I need to check?

Regards,

Tim.

Hi all, Back in mid January one of our users started to have problems with a calendar. Mid-January was the last time they were able to create an event for the calendar in question. Now they can see all the events in the calendar but cannot create or update events. I've now had time to look at the issue in more depth.
The interesting thing to note about this is that:
[02/Mar/2012:15:39:14 +0000] "PUT /cal/caldav.php/user2/home/ HTTP/1.1" 405 397
the PUT is against the calendar URL... So the user's software is configured to write the whole calendar on change. That's called WebDAV, not CalDAV, when it happens that way. DAViCal explicitly defaults to read-only WebDAV, in order that such situations are noticed, and the user's configuration is fixed to use CalDAV. Cheers, Andrew.

andrew at morphoss

Mar 12, 2012, 4:56 PM

Re: Calendar suddenly read-only [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 10:58 +0000, tim wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure why Lightning has started to do
> that. They can create events for other users via Lightning but not for
> this user - user2.
>
> When I look at the properties for the user2 calendar is looks like
> what I have in Lightning and I can create events for user2. Is there
> anywhere else in Lightning that I need to check?

From the looks of it you need to delete the calendar account from
Lightning (make sure not to delete the calendar from the server in the
process!) and then re-create it, especially making sure to re-create the
calendar as a "CalDAV" calendar.

Each calendar in lightning is configured separately, so there's no
reason why one should not be mis-configured as a 'Web Calendar' rather
than a 'CalDAV Calendar'.

Cheers,
Andrew.

> Regards,
>
> Tim.
>
> On 04/03/12 09:13, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 16:10 +0000, tim wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Back in mid January one of our users started to have problems with a
> > > calendar. Mid-January was the last time they were able to create an
> > > event for the calendar in question. Now they can see all the events in
> > > the calendar but cannot create or update events. I've now had time to
> > > look at the issue in more depth.
> >
> > The interesting thing to note about this is that:
> >
> > > [02/Mar/2012:15:39:14 +0000] "PUT /cal/caldav.php/user2/home/
> > > HTTP/1.1" 405 397
> > the PUT is against the calendar URL...
> >
> > So the user's software is configured to write the whole calendar on
> > change. That's called WebDAV, not CalDAV, when it happens that way.
> >
> > DAViCal explicitly defaults to read-only WebDAV, in order that such
> > situations are noticed, and the user's configuration is fixed to use
> > CalDAV.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andrew.

Yow!
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

tim at riseone

Mar 13, 2012, 2:36 AM

Re: Calendar suddenly read-only [In reply to]

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the pointer. I had already deleted and recreated the calendar many times and it still was read-only.

What solved it in the end was deleting the calendar, restarting Thunderbird (previously I had not restarted it) and then recreated the calendar. It now works correctly. Lightning must have been remembering something that could only be flushed by restarting Thunderbird.

Regards,

Tim.

On 12/03/12 23:56, Andrew McMillan wrote:
On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 10:58 +0000, tim wrote:
Hi Andrew, Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure why Lightning has started to do that. They can create events for other users via Lightning but not for this user - user2. When I look at the properties for the user2 calendar is looks like what I have in Lightning and I can create events for user2. Is there anywhere else in Lightning that I need to check?
>From the looks of it you need to delete the calendar account from Lightning (make sure not to delete the calendar from the server in the process!) and then re-create it, especially making sure to re-create the calendar as a "CalDAV" calendar. Each calendar in lightning is configured separately, so there's no reason why one should not be mis-configured as a 'Web Calendar' rather than a 'CalDAV Calendar'. Cheers, Andrew.
On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 16:10 +0000, tim wrote:
Hi all, Back in mid January one of our users started to have problems with a calendar. Mid-January was the last time they were able to create an event for the calendar in question. Now they can see all the events in the calendar but cannot create or update events. I've now had time to look at the issue in more depth.
The interesting thing to note about this is that:
[02/Mar/2012:15:39:14 +0000] "PUT /cal/caldav.php/user2/home/ HTTP/1.1" 405 397
the PUT is against the calendar URL... So the user's software is configured to write the whole calendar on change. That's called WebDAV, not CalDAV, when it happens that way. DAViCal explicitly defaults to read-only WebDAV, in order that such situations are noticed, and the user's configuration is fixed to use CalDAV. Cheers, Andrew.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Try before you buy = See our experts in action! The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft developers is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5, CSS3, MVC3, Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you subscribe now! http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2"]http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2 _______________________________________________ Davical-general mailing list Davical-general [at] lists https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general"]https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded