Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

DAViCal 1.0.2 and PostgreSQL 8.1

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jorgelp at us

Feb 8, 2012, 4:47 AM

DAViCal 1.0.2 and PostgreSQL 8.1

Hi all,

I'm using DAViCal 1.0.2 in my testing environment, which has
PostgreSQL 8.1.23 (RHEL 5 official postgresql package).

If I try to log in with a new user then I just can't get
authenticated. I see the following SQL error (just the relevant parts):

--8<--
[.. Correct bind to LDAP with provided credentials ...]

LDAP:user newuser doesn't exist in local DB, we need to create it

Principal: Query: DBGQ: INSERT INTO dav_principal
(....default_privileges) VALUES(...., cast(:default_privileges as
text)::BIT(24))

[...]

Principal: Query: DBGQ: ":default_privileges" => "000000000001111000000000"
Principal: Query: QF: SQL error "42846" - ERROR: cannot cast type text
to bit"
-->8--

Subsequent queries try to use an empty user id and find nothing in usr
table, because no user/principals where created.

I have done a simple casting test on PostgreSQL 8.1 and 8.4 and I can
confirm that a "text to bit" casting is not supported in version 8.1. It
works in 8.4 (from RHEL 6).

Maybe DAViCal release notes should be updated to state that 8.1 is not
enough anymore? Unfortunately I don't know if latest 0.9.9.x releases or
1.0.0/1.0.1 worked with PSQL 8.1 because I didn't have time to test them.

Regards.

--
Jorge López Pérez
jabber: jorgelp [at] im

jorgelp at us

Mar 14, 2012, 6:24 AM

Re: DAViCal 1.0.2 and PostgreSQL 8.1 [In reply to]

Hi again list,

I had a chat with a fellow user which was having some problems with user
creation when using LDAP authentication in DAViCal. He was facing the
same error I got and I suggested upgrading to PostgreSQL 8.4 (he was
using 8.1).

After the upgrade everything started working right.

I think that the 'Pre-requisites' section should be updated to state
that 8.1 is not enough (at least for DAViCal 1.0.2), but 8.4 works
flawlessly.

Regards.

--
Jorge López Pérez