Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

Integrating Davical (API)

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

hans.moser at ofd-z

Jan 9, 2012, 8:29 AM

Integrating Davical (API)

Hi,

is there any API to Davical available to integrate Davical in existing
processes like
- creating and deleting calendars and address books
- setting rights to calendars and address books
to not use the GUI to do all that?

@all the German readers of this list:
Falls es hier "Firmen" gibt, die ggf. Interesse an der Planung und
Durchführung eines Integrationsprojekt von Davical hätten, mögen sich
diese gern per PM melden, danke.

Marc

andrew at morphoss

Jan 13, 2012, 4:10 AM

Re: Integrating Davical (API) [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 17:29 +0100, Marc Patermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any API to Davical available to integrate Davical in existing
> processes like
> - creating and deleting calendars and address books

You can use DAV requests to MKCOL or DELETE collections. DAViCal
supports the Extended MKCOL as defined in RFC5689
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5689

> - setting rights to calendars and address books

DAV ACL requests to manipulate privileges *should* work, and I would
welcome more testing of these. Unfortunately very few calendar clients
manipulate them much. These are described in RFC3744 which has to be
one of the most impenetrable specifications of all time. I've read it a
dozen times now and still don't claim to understand it fully...

There are some regression tests for the ACL requests in DAViCal's code
base which could also be useful examples, though of course it might be
perpetuating DAViCal's errors to use those as a guide!

> to not use the GUI to do all that?

Additionally, there is a python script that was written by a guy from
Weta Digital, which is here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/davical-cmdlnut

Regards,
Andrew.

> @all the German readers of this list:
> Falls es hier "Firmen" gibt, die ggf. Interesse an der Planung und
> Durchführung eines Integrationsprojekt von Davical hätten, mögen sich
> diese gern per PM melden, danke.
>

> Marc

Sometimes love ain't nothing but a misunderstanding between two fools.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

ben at dalby

Jan 13, 2012, 5:23 AM

Re: Integrating Davical (API) [In reply to]

Hi,

My company developed a rudimentary reporting system,which creates an XML version of all events in a date range.

Get in touch if that sounds helpful,

Best wishes,

Ben

B R Dalby Consulting Ltd
Information Systems Consulting for Growing Businesses
http://www.brdalby.co.uk/
Tel: +44 (0)23 8065 8223
Fax: +44 (0)8700 115 915

On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 17:29 +0100, Marc Patermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any API to Davical available to integrate Davical in existing
> processes like
> - creating and deleting calendars and address books

You can use DAV requests to MKCOL or DELETE collections. DAViCal supports the Extended MKCOL as defined in RFC5689
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5689

> - setting rights to calendars and address books

DAV ACL requests to manipulate privileges *should* work, and I would welcome more testing of these. Unfortunately very few calendar clients manipulate them much. These are described in RFC3744 which has to be one of the most impenetrable specifications of all time. I've read it a dozen times now and still don't claim to understand it fully...

There are some regression tests for the ACL requests in DAViCal's code base which could also be useful examples, though of course it might be perpetuating DAViCal's errors to use those as a guide!

> to not use the GUI to do all that?

Additionally, there is a python script that was written by a guy from Weta Digital, which is here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/davical-cmdlnut

Regards,
Andrew.

> @all the German readers of this list:
> Falls es hier "Firmen" gibt, die ggf. Interesse an der Planung und
> Durchf?hrung eines Integrationsprojekt von Davical h?tten, m?gen sich
> diese gern per PM melden, danke.
>

> Marc

hans.moser at ofd-z

Jan 13, 2012, 5:38 AM

Re: Integrating Davical (API) [In reply to]

Andrew McMillan schrieb (13.01.2012 13:10 Uhr):
> On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 17:29 +0100, Marc Patermann wrote:
>> is there any API to Davical available to integrate Davical in existing
>> processes like
>> - creating and deleting calendars and address books
>
> You can use DAV requests to MKCOL or DELETE collections. DAViCal
> supports the Extended MKCOL as defined in RFC5689
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5689
>
>> - setting rights to calendars and address books
>
> DAV ACL requests to manipulate privileges *should* work, and I would
> welcome more testing of these. Unfortunately very few calendar clients
> manipulate them much. These are described in RFC3744 which has to be
> one of the most impenetrable specifications of all time. I've read it a
> dozen times now and still don't claim to understand it fully...
>
> There are some regression tests for the ACL requests in DAViCal's code
> base which could also be useful examples, though of course it might be
> perpetuating DAViCal's errors to use those as a guide!
>

>> to not use the GUI to do all that?
>
> Additionally, there is a python script that was written by a guy from
> Weta Digital, which is here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/davical-cmdlnut
Thank you, Andrew!
I think this is really usefull information.

Marc

andrew at morphoss

Re: Integrating Davical (API) [In reply to]

On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 13:23 +0000, Ben Dalby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My company developed a rudimentary reporting system,which creates an
> XML version of all events in a date range.

Hi Ben,

Does this convert the events into xCalendar? Or is it some other
format? DAViCal already supports the calendar-query report which
produces an XML document containing possibly expanded instances of all
events in a time range. Did you base your work on that, at all?

Regards,
Andrew.

> Get in touch if that sounds helpful,
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Ben
>
> B R Dalby Consulting Ltd
> Information Systems Consulting for Growing Businesses
> http://www.brdalby.co.uk/
> Tel: +44 (0)23 8065 8223
> Fax: +44 (0)8700 115 915

udp - universal dropping of an pigeon

Re: Integrating Davical (API) [In reply to]

Hi Andrew,

It does not convert events into xCalendar, but that's only because I hadn't heard of that standard, and ditto the calendar-query report.

Do you know of any code samples showing how to call/use the calendar-query report?

I've been bashing my head against the wall with first DDay.iCal, and now IP*Works.CalDAV, and both components seem to be defeated by the use case of retrieving instances of a recurring event between a specific date range, where one of the recurring events has been edited.

Best wishes,

Ben

B R Dalby Consulting Ltd
Information Systems Consulting for Growing Businesses
http://www.brdalby.co.uk/
Mob: +44(0)778 842 7868
Tel: +44 (0)23 8178 3232

Re: Integrating Davical (API) [In reply to]

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 15:56 +0000, Ben Dalby wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> It does not convert events into xCalendar, but that's only because I
> hadn't heard of that standard, and ditto the calendar-query report.
>
> Do you know of any code samples showing how to call/use the
> calendar-query report?
>
> I've been bashing my head against the wall with first DDay.iCal, and
> now IP*Works.CalDAV, and both components seem to be defeated by the
> use case of retrieving instances of a recurring event between a
> specific date range, where one of the recurring events has been
> edited.

Hi Ben,

There are a number of examples of the calendar-query report in the
regression tests for DAViCal. Take a look in the source tree, starting
from here:

http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/tree/HEAD:/testing

It should be fairly clear that each of the *.test files (in the folders
under 'tests') contains the HTTP headers and body that are sent, and if
you take a look at the dav_test perl script you can see how it builds a
'curl' command-line to send the test to the server.

Regards,
Andrew.

> Best wishes,
>
> Ben
>
> B R Dalby Consulting Ltd
> Information Systems Consulting for Growing Businesses
> http://www.brdalby.co.uk/
> Mob: +44(0)778 842 7868
> Tel: +44 (0)23 8178 3232

Chicken Little only has to be right once.