Mailing List Archive: DAViCal: General

Subscribing to DAViCal calendars with authentication in Google Calendar

DAViCal general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

glenn at eaglegenomics

Sep 7, 2011, 1:41 AM

Subscribing to DAViCal calendars with authentication in Google Calendar

Hi

I've just started a new job and the company uses DAViCal as its
calendaring mechanism. Individual calendars are subscribed to by URL
(e.g. http://calendar.companyname.com/caldav.php/username/home/ ) and
there is a username and password-based authentication system.

I can subscribe to calendars, add events etc using iCal on OS X successfully.

However ... I use Google Calendar as my current calendaring solution
and would like to be able to have my work calendars there too. Google
Calendar seems to have some support for subscribing to calendars
(there's a "Add by URL" option) but it fails on the calendars in
question, I assume because I'm never challenged for my password, so
the authentication is silently failing.

Is there a solution to this, or should I just give up and use iCal?

Thanks in advance

Glenn.

ingo at envirology

Sep 7, 2011, 3:33 AM

Re: Subscribing to DAViCal calendars with authentication in Google Calendar [In reply to]

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 09:41:41 Glenn Proctor wrote:

> However ... I use Google Calendar as my current calendaring solution
> and would like to be able to have my work calendars there too. Google
> Calendar seems to have some support for subscribing to calendars
> (there's a "Add by URL" option) but it fails on the calendars in
> question, I assume because I'm never challenged for my password, so
> the authentication is silently failing.

My personal advice is NOT to use Google Calendars.
The subscribe feature only works for ical files, not caldav und google basically only loads it once but does not check
for changes. Also importing a whole calendar as ICS is just plain madness in terms of data volume.
That was why calDAV was invented.
Googles calDAV support for their own calendars is extremely buggy too.

And why would you need davical when you use google?

> Is there a solution to this, or should I just give up and use iCal?

Use Ical. Works great.

Cheers,
Ingo

glenn at eaglegenomics

Sep 8, 2011, 3:59 AM

Re: Subscribing to DAViCal calendars with authentication in Google Calendar [In reply to]

Thanks for the reply Ingo. My employer's calendars are provided
through DAViCal, and I was hoping to be able to integrate them into my
existing Google Calendar setup; however it looks like this isn't going
to be possible. My options at the moment seem to be:

1. Ditch Google Calendar completely and use iCal for everything; this
will be a pain as I need calendar access on multiple machines and
devices

2. Keep my personal stuff in Google Calendar and use iCal for work
stuff. Scope for a lot of confusion!

3. Subscribe to all my Google Calendars in iCal but continue to add
new events to my personal calendars via Google Calendar (the
subscriptions seem to be read-only)

4. Find some syncing solution (I've looked at Spanning Sync so far but
it doesn't seem to be able to write to the calendar hosted on DAViCal,
possibly due to a limitation in Apples Sync Services) - I'm reluctant
to do this as it adds a layer of complication and my experience with
similar solutions in the past has not been good.

Glenn.

On 7 September 2011 11:33, Ingo Ratsdorf <ingo [at] envirology> wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 09:41:41 Glenn Proctor wrote:
>>
>> However ... I use Google Calendar as my current calendaring solution
>> and would like to be able to have my work calendars there too. Google
>> Calendar seems to have some support for subscribing to calendars
>> (there's a "Add by URL" option) but it fails on the calendars in
>> question, I assume because I'm never challenged for my password, so
>> the authentication is silently failing.
>
> My personal advice is NOT to use Google Calendars.
> The subscribe feature only works for ical files, not caldav und google basically only loads it once but does not check
> for changes. Also importing a whole calendar as ICS is just plain madness in terms of data volume.
> That was why calDAV was invented.
> Googles calDAV support for their own calendars is extremely buggy too.
>
> And why would you need davical when you use google?
>>
>> Is there a solution to this, or should I just give up and use iCal?
>
> Use Ical. Works great.
>
> Cheers,
> Ingo

andrew at morphoss

Sep 11, 2011, 4:58 AM

Re: Subscribing to DAViCal calendars with authentication in Google Calendar [In reply to]

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 09:41 +0100, Glenn Proctor wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just started a new job and the company uses DAViCal as its
> calendaring mechanism. Individual calendars are subscribed to by URL
> (e.g. http://calendar.companyname.com/caldav.php/username/home/ ) and
> there is a username and password-based authentication system.
>
> I can subscribe to calendars, add events etc using iCal on OS X successfully.
>
> However ... I use Google Calendar as my current calendaring solution
> and would like to be able to have my work calendars there too. Google
> Calendar seems to have some support for subscribing to calendars
> (there's a "Add by URL" option) but it fails on the calendars in
> question, I assume because I'm never challenged for my password, so
> the authentication is silently failing.
>
> Is there a solution to this, or should I just give up and use iCal?

There are several solutions.

One solution is just to use client software which reads from several
accounts at the same time. iCal will do this, for example, so you can
have your Google calendar available as well as your work calendar and
overlay them and so forth.

Another solution is to fetch the Google calendar on a regular basis as
a .ics file and push it to a calendar in DAViCal. A little more work,
but not huge. You need to enable writable collections, fetch the Google
calendar as a .ics and then "PUT" that .ics to DAViCal. Obviously you
can also upload the .ics manually through the UI, but that's kind of
laborious for something you'd want to do often.

In 0.9.9.5 we have a thing called "Remote BIND" where you can add a
binding to a remote CalDAV server which appears as if it is part of
DAViCal. It's not code I wrote, so I can't give all the details, but it
might be ideal for what you want.

Finally, there is a script in DAViCal which can be used as a basis for
synchronising a DAViCal calendar to an external CalDAV source. This
works up to a point, but it needs a little TLC and was written more as
an example than a polished thing.

There are testing packages for 0.9.9.5 available now (just pushed to my
webserver) and I expect more official ones will be released in the next
few days, if they don't blow up in people's faces :-)

Cheers,
Andrew.

I smell like a wet reducing clinic on Columbus Day!
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

glenn at eaglegenomics

Sep 11, 2011, 9:40 AM

Re: Subscribing to DAViCal calendars with authentication in Google Calendar [In reply to]

Thanks Andrew. In the end I've settled on using BusyCal from BusyMac
software - it's similar to iCal but has better support for Google
Calendars. It means I have to set up and configure the application on
several machines, but this seems to be the best solution available at
the moment.

Regards

Glenn.