Mailing List Archive: conserver: users

FreeBSD single-user mode

conserver users RSS feed   Index | Previous | View Threaded

myles at hosting

Jan 3, 2001, 11:59 AM

FreeBSD single-user mode

LeavesHello

I am new to this list so please pardon my elementary questions.

I wondered if conserver works in single user mode 'out of the box'
on FreeBSD. If not, can it be adapted?

What is the connection model involved? One master server with
serial links to the target computers? Or is the console piped to
TCP or Ethernet over the server?

thanks,
Myles

bryan at conserver

Jan 7, 2001, 11:10 PM

Re: FreeBSD single-user mode [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:59:08AM -0800, Myles Clinton wrote:
> I wondered if conserver works in single user mode 'out of the box'
> on FreeBSD. If not, can it be adapted?

Well, not out of the box, but it should be fairly straighforward. I've
heard it was simple for others to get it to work...I don't have a FreeBSD
system to try it on, but if you get it to work, please submit patches.

> What is the connection model involved? One master server with
> serial links to the target computers? Or is the console piped to
> TCP or Ethernet over the server?

The client and server programs use a TCP connection to communicate.
Multiple TCP ports are used (unfortunately). Between the server and the
serial ports, that depends. The server can open local serial ports,
remote TCP ports (for terminal servers), and any random command. So,
you're serial data could be going across the network, or staying local
to the box. If you run the client and server on the same host, then
all that traffic will be local as well.

I hope that helps explain some of the basics. If not, just ask. Sorry
about it taking so long to write back...sorta been "offline" for a bit.

Bryan

conserver users RSS feed   Index | Previous | View Threaded