Mailing List Archive: conserver: users

ERROR: getservbyname(conserver) failed

conserver users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

wernli at in2p3

Jun 26, 2007, 2:08 AM

ERROR: getservbyname(conserver) failed

Hi,

The hostname of my conserver is 'consrv'.
I run conserver using '-p 33000 -d'.

I always get the following error:

| ERROR: getservbyname(conserver) failed

Even if I try to compile conserver using --with-master=consrv
Now if I try to run conserver using '-M consrv', I get:

| ERROR: inet_aton(consrv): invalid IP address

And when using the IP:

| ERROR: getservbyname(conserver) failed

again

cross+conserver at distal

Jun 26, 2007, 5:24 AM

Re: ERROR: getservbyname(conserver) failed [In reply to]

On Jun 26, 2007, at 5:08 AM, Fabien Wernli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The hostname of my conserver is 'consrv'.
> I run conserver using '-p 33000 -d'.
>
> I always get the following error:
>
> | ERROR: getservbyname(conserver) failed

This has often confused me when running conserver, because the
program, often times the system, and the service port are all
carrying the same name. :-) The above error is actually the last.
It's complaining that it can't find an entry in /etc/services to map
the name "conserver" to a port number (typically, 782/tcp). I'm
curious that you see this error even when specifying the port to use
via the "-p" argument, but...

This, and many other common problems, are mentioned in the
conserver FAQ, which can be found at:

http://www.conserver.com/FAQ

> Even if I try to compile conserver using --with-master=consrv
> Now if I try to run conserver using '-M consrv', I get:
>
> | ERROR: inet_aton(consrv): invalid IP address

(This is a DNS error, I think. At least, I'm not sure, but I
didn't think -M only knew how to take IP addresses... Is consrv able
to be resolved via DNS by other tools?)

Good luck...

- Chris

wernli at in2p3

Jun 26, 2007, 6:03 AM

Re: ERROR: getservbyname(conserver) failed [In reply to]

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 08:24:36AM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> the name "conserver" to a port number (typically, 782/tcp). I'm
> curious that you see this error even when specifying the port to use
> via the "-p" argument, but...

you were right - thanks!