Mailing List Archive: conserver: users

using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan console servers

conserver users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

elmars.ositis at hvb

using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan console servers

Hello-

I have beent rying to get conserver to work as a go-between for a vmware
serial port (named pipe) link and a Raritan console server. Unlike other
console servers raritan only supports ssh connections and which are
difficult to remotely attach. I have managed to get conserver to connect
to a port on the Raritan and now am trying to get the vmware named pipe to
connect to the conserver named pipes.

The vmware serial port (linux GSX) creates a single named pipe, but the
conserver creates two named pipes, I presume one for input the other for
output. Here is my conserver.cf file:

lvsrv05:/vmware/images/other # more /etc/conserver.cf
default full {
rw *;
}
default * {
logfile /var/log/conserver/&;
timestamp "";
include full;
}
console node1 {
master localhost;
type exec;
exec /usr/bin/ssh -l dominion -t 129.190.9.1 "sconsole -u admin -a
xxxxxxx -p 1";
}
access * {
allowed 127.0.0.1;
}

When using 'console node1' the console properly connects to the Raritan
and gives me direct access to the port. Rather than using the console, I
would like to link the vmware serial port to the conserver named pipes.
Within the virtual machine I will be running a legacy app on windows NT
which will connect to some equipment linked to the Raritan. The legacy app
will then monitor the remote hardware.

Alternatively, if anyone has heard of a way to redirect an NT com port to
ssh, I would be glad to hear from you.

Thanks

Elmars

Elmars Ositis
Head of IT
HVB Bank Latvia AS
Elizabetes iela 63
Riga, LV-1050
Latvia
tel:+371 708 5531
fax: +371 708 5507

cfowler at outpostsentinel

Re: using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan console servers [In reply to]

I've been trying this for Vmware linux and have ran into a similar
issue. I can't figure out if Vmware supports R/W named pipes. One
option is to install a multi-port card on the server and each port goes
to a virtual machine. That is what I'm planning to do.

I tried to create a program that ran on the Linux server that would
interface me using minicom to a pseudo tty. I told Vmware to use the
slave like normal as its serial port. Vmware screams that /dev/ttyp0 is
not a serial port. It is a tty character device so what is
the problem? If I could get vmware to use /dev/ttyp* as its serial
ports then I would be in good shape. I know I can use them normally
because when I run my ttyp server for this purpose I can open and read
and write to /dev/ttyp0.

elmars.ositis at hvb

Re: using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan console servers [In reply to]

I wish adding com ports would be an option, unfortunately some of the
equipment I need to interface to is in a remote location... I could run a
vm there too, but I run into licensing issues on the legacy app. costs a
fortune for each machine....

likewise, locally, the vmware server is a 1u job with all of its slots
occupied with nics and raid controller... I do have the one com port on
the machine, but that is not enough....

Elmars Ositis
Head of IT
HVB Bank Latvia AS
Elizabetes iela 63
Riga, LV-1050
Latvia
tel:+371 708 5531
fax: +371 708 5507

Christopher Fowler <cfowler [at] outpostsentinel>
04/28/2006 03:59 PM

elmars.ositis [at] hvb
cc
users [at] conserver
Subject
Re: using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan console
servers

Re: using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan console servers [In reply to]

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 09:14, elmars.ositis [at] hvb wrote:

> likewise, locally, the vmware server is a 1u job with all of its slots
> occupied with nics and raid controller... I do have the one com port
> on the machine, but that is not enough....

Invest in a better server with a PCI Quad Ethernet Controller and a
Comtrol Rocket Port 4 RJ. Make it 2U so you can at least get 3 PCI
cards installed.

> [...]
> > admin -a xxxxxxx -p 1";
> > }
> > access * {
> > allowed 127.0.0.1;
> > }
> >
> > When using 'console node1' the console properly connects to the
> > Raritan and gives me direct access to the port. Rather than using
> the
> > console, I would like to link the vmware serial port to the
> conserver
> > named pipes. Within the virtual machine I will be running a legacy
> app
> > on windows NT which will connect to some equipment linked to the
> > Raritan. The legacy app will then monitor the remote hardware.
> >
> > Alternatively, if anyone has heard of a way to redirect an NT com
> port
> > to ssh, I would be glad to hear from you.

elmars.ositis at hvb

Re: using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan console servers [In reply to]

Ha Ha Ha!!!

Just did. but those machines are running ESX and are for really heavy
stuff. In the meantime, this GSX machine runs the old stuff which have no
minimum performance criteria. The machine is actually not bad, just not
expandable. With 2 p4 procs and 8gb ram, dual power, remote management,
the works, the machine is just a tad bit expensive to toss....! But you
are right. 1u machines are a bit of a waste of money. Sun has crap cable
management on their machines, and although IBM has good cable management,
the slides are a piece of crap. I had one IBM 1u as bottom machine in my
rack and it popped out of its slide as I was pushing it back in... crashed
30cm to the floor. One good thing about IBM boxes... they are rugged. Kept
on running...

But anyway, that does not resolve the question of how to link the remote
hardware 10km away...

Elmars Ositis
Head of IT
HVB Bank Latvia AS
Elizabetes iela 63
Riga, LV-1050
Latvia
tel:+371 708 5531
fax: +371 708 5507

Christopher Fowler <cfowler [at] outpostsentinel>
04/28/2006 04:22 PM

Re: using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan console servers [In reply to]

USB Serial adapters?