Mailing List Archive: conserver: users

Avocent to acquire Cyclades

conserver users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

dirk.wetter at gmail

Jan 26, 2006, 8:37 AM

Avocent to acquire Cyclades

Hi,

this might be of interest for some:

http://avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/01262006-F

BR,
Dirk

--
Dr. Dirk Wetter http://drwetter.org
Consulting IT-Security + Open Source

cfowler at outpostsentinel

Jan 26, 2006, 10:47 AM

Re: Avocent to acquire Cyclades [In reply to]

I guess Equinox was not a good enough purchase for Avocent.

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 17:37 +0100, Dr. Dirk Wetter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this might be of interest for some:
>
> http://avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/01262006-F
>

> BR,
> Dirk
>

> --
> Dr. Dirk Wetter http://drwetter.org
> Consulting IT-Security + Open Source
> Key fingerprint = 80A2 742B 8195 969C 5FA6 6584 8B6E 59C1 E41B 9153

john.stoffel at taec

Jan 27, 2006, 1:52 PM

Re: Avocent to acquire Cyclades [In reply to]

This is the end, Avocent makes sub-standard boxes IMNSHO. Sigh...

brodie at mcw

Jan 27, 2006, 2:56 PM

RE: Avocent to acquire Cyclades [In reply to]

Oh man. I appear to have been the victim of this a lot (that is,
managing some REALLY good technology, and then some big mother ship
swallows up said company, and the products I end up with all eventually
suck...).

The first of this was DIGITAL. We all know what happened there. And
so on.

Fortunately, on the ASSUMPTION that the existing cyclades line of boxes
get shelved, there should be (I would hope) enough surplus and/or
"previously owned" boxes out there to find one if you really need.

I personally have been VERY happy with my cyclades boxes-- between that
and conserver, I have something like 72 servers whose console ports I
have configured. I have another 25 to add, just haven't gotten to them
yet.

NEVER had an issue. And I'm doing console access via serial/SSH and all
that.

This is the end, Avocent makes sub-standard boxes IMNSHO. Sigh...