Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: win32

the welcome message!

ClamAV win32 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

duellsjeln at yellowsprings

Feb 4, 2008, 3:23 PM

the welcome message!

hello! I have to back out of this arrangement, since I have Windows 2000 NT, and nothing more recent. Sorry!

Ellen N. Duell

njh at bandsman

Feb 5, 2008, 1:30 AM

Re: the welcome message! [In reply to]

Ellen Duell wrote:
> hello! I have to back out of this arrangement, since I have Windows 2000 NT, and nothing more recent. Sorry!

Off the top of my head I see nothing to think that clamAV won't compile and run under Windows 2000, though Windows NT is rather old. Which do you mean? What errors do you see when you try to compile it?

> Ellen N. Duell

-Nigel

duellsjeln at yellowsprings

Feb 5, 2008, 9:18 AM

Re: the welcome message! [In reply to]

The requirement to have at lerast Windows 2003 pops up. Anyway. I've
successfully updated the antivisus free system that I already had. Thanks
anyway. --Ellen Duell
> > hello! I have to back out of this arrangement, since I have Windows
2000 NT, and nothing more recent. Sorry!

> Off the top of my head I see nothing to think that clamAV won't compile
and run under Windows 2000, though Windows NT is rather old. Which do you
mean? What errors do you see when you try to compile it?

> > Ellen N. Duell
>
> -Nigel

tmetro+clamwin32 at gmail

Feb 5, 2008, 11:09 AM

Re: the welcome message! [In reply to]

Nigel Horne wrote:
> Off the top of my head I see nothing to think that clamAV won't compile
> and run under Windows 2000, though Windows NT is rather old.

I've tried a few 3rd party command-line ports of ClamAV that run on
Windows NT, and I'd presume Windows 2000. ClamWin, another 3rd party
port, doesn't, but that's only because of the GUI wrapper.

I haven't tried the official Win32 port of ClamAV on Windows NT, but I'd
bet that it would work. Open source tends to be far more supportive of
old versions of Windows - especially the cross platform projects -
compared to commercial vendors. A notable exception is Mozilla dropping
NT support in Firefox and Thunderbird 3.0, though they supported it for
a long time.

-Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA

duellsjeln at yellowsprings

Feb 5, 2008, 12:23 PM

Re: the welcome message! [In reply to]

Thanks--but the matter is settled for this year. The AVG is working. I
will remember clamv and when I need a revision--probably 2009--I may
switch.--Ellen Duell
> > Off the top of my head I see nothing to think that clamAV won't compile
> > and run under Windows 2000, though Windows NT is rather old.
>
> I've tried a few 3rd party command-line ports of ClamAV that run on
> Windows NT, and I'd presume Windows 2000. ClamWin, another 3rd party
> port, doesn't, but that's only because of the GUI wrapper.
>
> I haven't tried the official Win32 port of ClamAV on Windows NT, but I'd
> bet that it would work. Open source tends to be far more supportive of
> old versions of Windows - especially the cross platform projects -
> compared to commercial vendors. A notable exception is Mozilla dropping
> NT support in Firefox and Thunderbird 3.0, though they supported it for
> a long time.
>
> -Tom
>
> --
> Tom Metro
> Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA
> "Enterprise solutions through open source."
> Professional Profile: http://tmetro.venturelogic.com/

budtse at users

Feb 6, 2008, 2:11 PM

Re: the welcome message! [In reply to]

Tom Metro wrote:
> Nigel Horne wrote:
>
>> Off the top of my head I see nothing to think that clamAV won't compile
>> and run under Windows 2000, though Windows NT is rather old.
>>

> I've tried a few 3rd party command-line ports of ClamAV that run on
> Windows NT, and I'd presume Windows 2000. ClamWin, another 3rd party
> port, doesn't, but that's only because of the GUI wrapper.

Actually, ClamWin runs on Win98, Win2000 and above, including 64bit and
Vista. I'm not sure about NT4, but see no reason why it wouldn't work.
> I haven't tried the official Win32 port of ClamAV on Windows NT, but I'd
> bet that it would work. Open source tends to be far more supportive of
> old versions of Windows - especially the cross platform projects -
> compared to commercial vendors. A notable exception is Mozilla dropping
> NT support in Firefox and Thunderbird 3.0, though they supported it for
> a long time.
>
> -Tom

tmetro+clamwin32 at gmail

Feb 6, 2008, 5:15 PM

Re: ClamWin and Windows NT [In reply to]

budtse wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> ClamWin, another 3rd party port, doesn't, but that's only because
>> of the GUI wrapper.
>>
> Actually, ClamWin runs on Win98, Win2000 and above, including 64bit and
> Vista. I'm not sure about NT4, but see no reason why it wouldn't work.

I just tried to install the latest, clamwin-0.92-setup.exe, on an NT
box, and it reports:

This program requires Windows NT version 5.0.2195 or later.

Windows 5.x is Windows 2000. So, no, it doesn't install on NT.

In any case, this is a ClamWin issue and off topic.

-Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA