Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: win32

way to run Clam AV with DOS

ClamAV win32 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

leegold at fastmail

Jul 8, 2007, 9:57 AM

way to run Clam AV with DOS

Is there a way to run Clam AV with DOS?

The usually way: boot to DOS with floppy, then run the AV. There are
ways to scan NTFS file system too, so this would be useful.

Is DOS scan possible? Avoiding .net and the win32 install...

Thanks.

tmetro+clamwin32 at gmail

Jul 8, 2007, 1:19 PM

Re: way to run Clam AV with DOS [In reply to]

leegold wrote:
> Is there a way to run Clam AV with DOS?

Not likely.

> ...boot to DOS with floppy, then run the AV.
> Avoiding .net and the win32 install...

You can get the equivalent by using a bootable Linux CD. ClamAV will run
happily there. There are numerous bootable Linux CDs to try. I don't
know of any that specifically bundle ClamAV. They also have varying
support of NTFS. Some read-only. Some requiring DLLs from a Windows
installation.

One I use is:
http://www.sysresccd.org/

Others can be found here:
http://www.hrlug.org/cddistro.html

Another option is to use a bootable Windows CD. It'll boot slower, but
may offer better access to an NTFS file system. One tool like this is:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

It includes a few AV tools.

-Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA

michael.m.minor at gmail

Jul 8, 2007, 2:03 PM

Re: way to run Clam AV with DOS [In reply to]

You can try INSERT - which is a linux livecd distro that comes with clamav
and read-write ntfs support, but the latest version came out in Feb so the
included clamav is likely a little out of date.
http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html or

On 7/8/07, Tom Metro <tmetro+clamwin32 [at] gmail> wrote:

> leegold wrote:
> > Is there a way to run Clam AV with DOS?
>
> Not likely.
>

> > ...boot to DOS with floppy, then run the AV.
> > Avoiding .net and the win32 install...
>
> You can get the equivalent by using a bootable Linux CD. ClamAV will run
> happily there. There are numerous bootable Linux CDs to try. I don't
> know of any that specifically bundle ClamAV. They also have varying
> support of NTFS. Some read-only. Some requiring DLLs from a Windows
> installation.
>
> One I use is:
> http://www.sysresccd.org/
>
> Others can be found here:
> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
> http://www.hrlug.org/cddistro.html
>

> Another option is to use a bootable Windows CD. It'll boot slower, but
> may offer better access to an NTFS file system. One tool like this is:
>
> http://www.ubcd4win.com/
>
> It includes a few AV tools.
>
> -Tom
>
> --
> Tom Metro
> Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA
> "Enterprise solutions through open source."
> Professional Profile: http://tmetro.venturelogic.com/

Michael M. Minor