Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: win32

Refreshing clamd

ClamAV win32 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jfairbrass at hotmail

Mar 1, 2007, 7:11 AM

Refreshing clamd

Question: if I run the following command, will it reload clamd with any new sig files, even if I'm running it as a service using
Power Tools?...

freshclam.exe --daemon-notify

I want to use the unofficial phishing .NDB files from http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/ with ClamAV/Win32. I can download and
extract the .NDB files into ClamAV's \data\ directory, but I want to know how to get clamd to refresh itself and start using these
new sig files,, every time I download the latest ones, without me having to actually stop and start the Power Tools service (which
sometimes doesn't work that well).

I'm hoping the --daemon-notify command will do the trick - can anyone confirm?

And is there any way to actually tell if the .NDB files are in use, and which version of them is in use?

Thanks,
Jeremy

jfairbrass at hotmail

Mar 1, 2007, 7:42 AM

Re: Refreshing clamd [In reply to]

I forgot to mention: I don't see anything in the clamd logfile to indicate that anything happens when I run
"freshclam.exe --daemon-notify". I guess this means it doesn't work??

- Jeremy

"Jeremy Fairbrass" <jfairbrass [at] hotmail> wrote in message news:es6qg5$uhv$1 [at] sea
> Question: if I run the following command, will it reload clamd with any new sig files, even if I'm running it as a service using
> Power Tools?...
>
> freshclam.exe --daemon-notify
>
> I want to use the unofficial phishing .NDB files from http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/ with ClamAV/Win32. I can download and
> extract the .NDB files into ClamAV's \data\ directory, but I want to know how to get clamd to refresh itself and start using these
> new sig files,, every time I download the latest ones, without me having to actually stop and start the Power Tools service (which
> sometimes doesn't work that well).
>
> I'm hoping the --daemon-notify command will do the trick - can anyone confirm?
>
> And is there any way to actually tell if the .NDB files are in use, and which version of them is in use?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

jfairbrass at hotmail

Mar 9, 2007, 3:56 AM

Re: Refreshing clamd [In reply to]

Hi all,
Anyone have any answers to this question of mine? Whether or not "freshclam.exe --daemon-notify" works to reload clamd with new sig
files, such as the latest .NDB files from http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav ? I don't see anything in the clamd logfile when I run
freshclam with the --daemon-notify parameter, so I'm not sure if this works (I'm also running clamd via the Power Tools service).