Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: win32

GUI, and Word/Outlook plugins

ClamAV win32 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jfairbrass at hotmail

Feb 16, 2007, 8:31 AM

GUI, and Word/Outlook plugins

Hi Nigel,
Great to have a new version available, thanks! :)

I have a question about the Word and Outlook plugins included with PowerTools: how exactly do we get them to work? When I installed
Powertools, I didn't see anything about these plugins working or being installed - I'm not sure they are - how can I check that
they're there and working? What should I be looking for if they are actually working?

As for the GUI, I never got it to work fully on any machine I installed PowerTools on. The GUI will open up, and the "Scan file" and
"Update virus database" buttons do work, but the big rectangular labels on the right ("On Access Scanning" etc) are all greyed out,
and none of the items on any of the menus do anything. Is this a known problem? Perhaps a fully working GUI is scheduled for release
in the future?! Or is there something wrong with my setup perhaps?

Cheers,
Jeremy

"Nigel Horne" <njh [at] bandsman> wrote in message news:45D58625.7050804 [at] bandsman
> I've uploaded a new version of ClamAV for Windows to
> http://w32.clamav.net. In essence, it is the 0.90 core.
>
> Developers with access to MSVC2005 are asked to download
> and install from http://w32.clamav.net/clamAV-debug.msi, all
> others from http://w32.clamav.net/clamAV.msi.
>
> There is no need to update the Powertools, which contains the
> GUI, the freshclam/clamd server and plugins for Word/Outlook/Explorer
> etc., since they will continue to work with the new version.
>
> If you are using the ClamAV Powertools, you should reboot, or
> restart the ClamAV service, to ensure the new clamd is running.
>
> -Nigel

njh at bandsman

Feb 18, 2007, 10:08 PM

Re: GUI, and Word/Outlook plugins [In reply to]

Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
> Great to have a new version available, thanks! :)
>
> I have a question about the Word and Outlook plugins included with PowerTools: how exactly do we get them to work? When I installed
> Powertools, I didn't see anything about these plugins working or being installed - I'm not sure they are - how can I check that
> they're there and working? What should I be looking for if they are actually working?

You need to be in administrator mode. Then right click on "My Computer", choose Manage, and looks at
the list of services to see if clamAV is running. If not, start it.

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325

jfairbrass at hotmail

Feb 19, 2007, 1:04 AM

Re: GUI, and Word/Outlook plugins [In reply to]

Hi Nigel,
Yes, the ClamAV service is definitely running, that's not a problem, and I'm logged in as an administrator. So are you saying that
if the service is running, it's gonna be using the Word and Outlook plugins automatically? And therefore automatically scanning my
Outlook mail and Word docs? If so, how do I configure (or disable) those plugins?

And the question about the GUI still stands - even when the service is running, nothing in the GUI works, except for the two buttons
on the front - "Scan file" and "Update virus database". The other items on the front are all greyed out, and nothing happens when I
click any of the menu items such as "settings". Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jeremy