Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: win32

How to determine the version of w32.clamAV?

 

 

ClamAV win32 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


jfairbrass at hotmail

Feb 15, 2007, 1:41 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2744 views)
Permalink
How to determine the version of w32.clamAV?

Hi all,
How can I determine the version of ClamAV that is being used with the build from http://w32.clamav.net? I know I can run
"clamscan --version", but that gives me the following:
ClamAV devel-20061213/2571/Thu Feb 15 09:06:05 2007

...and I want to be able to see which version of ClamAV itself is being used, ie. 0.88.7 or whatever. Where can I find that?

Cheers,
Jeremy



_______________________________________________
http://lists.clamav.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/clamav-win32


njh at bandsman

Feb 15, 2007, 1:50 AM

Post #2 of 9 (2660 views)
Permalink
Re: How to determine the version of w32.clamAV? [In reply to]

Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
> Hi all,
> How can I determine the version of ClamAV that is being used with the build from http://w32.clamav.net? I know I can run
> "clamscan --version", but that gives me the following:
> ClamAV devel-20061213/2571/Thu Feb 15 09:06:05 2007
>
> ...and I want to be able to see which version of ClamAV itself is being used, ie. 0.88.7 or whatever. Where can I find that?

The version *is* ClamAV devel-20061213, i.e. it was built from CVS not the release code. That is
because the release code does not support Windows.

>
> Cheers,
> Jeremy



--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
njh [at] bandsman http://www.bandsman.co.uk


jfairbrass at hotmail

Feb 15, 2007, 1:58 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2654 views)
Permalink
Re: How to determine the version of w32.clamAV? [In reply to]

Okay, I see. I had thought that your build was somehow based on the release code, just converted over to Windows, like the other
Windows ports (ClamWin etc) which do use the 0.88.7 versioning format. Although I don't claim to know exactly what CVS means (I
kinda have an idea), is there any way to know which release code version of ClamAV corresponds to the code you're using? Eg. is it
possible to say that the code used for devel-20061213 is the same as that used for 0.88.7 or something? Or am I really trying to
compare apples to oranges?!

Cheers,
Jeremy



"Nigel Horne" <njh [at] bandsman> wrote in message news:45D42CD6.8060508 [at] bandsman
> Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> How can I determine the version of ClamAV that is being used with the build from http://w32.clamav.net? I know I can run
>> "clamscan --version", but that gives me the following:
>> ClamAV devel-20061213/2571/Thu Feb 15 09:06:05 2007
>>
>> ...and I want to be able to see which version of ClamAV itself is being used, ie. 0.88.7 or whatever. Where can I find that?
>
> The version *is* ClamAV devel-20061213, i.e. it was built from CVS not the release code. That is
> because the release code does not support Windows.
>
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jeremy
>
>
>
> --
> Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
> NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
> njh [at] bandsman http://www.bandsman.co.uk



_______________________________________________
http://lists.clamav.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/clamav-win32


jfairbrass at hotmail

Feb 15, 2007, 1:59 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2656 views)
Permalink
Re: How to determine the version of w32.clamAV? [In reply to]

Incidentally (and just out of curiosity), if the release code doesn't support Windows, then how do those other Windows ports do it?
Eg. ClamWin. Why do they use versioning numbers that are the same as the original ClamAV code (0.88.7 etc)? I guess they're doing
something quite different to you?

- Jeremy



"Nigel Horne" <njh [at] bandsman> wrote in message news:45D42CD6.8060508 [at] bandsman
> Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> How can I determine the version of ClamAV that is being used with the build from http://w32.clamav.net? I know I can run
>> "clamscan --version", but that gives me the following:
>> ClamAV devel-20061213/2571/Thu Feb 15 09:06:05 2007
>>
>> ...and I want to be able to see which version of ClamAV itself is being used, ie. 0.88.7 or whatever. Where can I find that?
>
> The version *is* ClamAV devel-20061213, i.e. it was built from CVS not the release code. That is
> because the release code does not support Windows.
>
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jeremy
>
>
>
> --
> Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
> NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
> njh [at] bandsman http://www.bandsman.co.uk
>


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


>



_______________________________________________
http://lists.clamav.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/clamav-win32


njh at bandsman

Feb 15, 2007, 2:07 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2655 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: How to determine the version of w32.clamAV? [In reply to]

Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
> Okay, I see. I had thought that your build was somehow based on the release code, just converted over to Windows, like the other
> Windows ports (ClamWin etc) which do use the 0.88.7 versioning format. Although I don't claim to know exactly what CVS means (I
> kinda have an idea), is there any way to know which release code version of ClamAV corresponds to the code you're using? Eg. is it
> possible to say that the code used for devel-20061213 is the same as that used for 0.88.7 or something? Or am I really trying to
> compare apples to oranges?!

I believe "apples" and "oranges" is indeed correct. Windows support is currently only against the development tree.

>
> Cheers,
> Jeremy
>
>
>
> "Nigel Horne" <njh [at] bandsman> wrote in message news:45D42CD6.8060508 [at] bandsman
>> Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> How can I determine the version of ClamAV that is being used with the build from http://w32.clamav.net? I know I can run
>>> "clamscan --version", but that gives me the following:
>>> ClamAV devel-20061213/2571/Thu Feb 15 09:06:05 2007
>>>
>>> ...and I want to be able to see which version of ClamAV itself is being used, ie. 0.88.7 or whatever. Where can I find that?
>> The version *is* ClamAV devel-20061213, i.e. it was built from CVS not the release code. That is
>> because the release code does not support Windows.
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jeremy
>>
>>
>> --
>> Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
>> NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
>> njh [at] bandsman http://www.bandsman.co.uk
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://lists.clamav.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/clamav-win32


--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
njh [at] bandsman http://www.bandsman.co.uk


njh at bandsman

Feb 15, 2007, 2:08 AM

Post #6 of 9 (2654 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: How to determine the version of w32.clamAV? [In reply to]

Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
> Incidentally (and just out of curiosity), if the release code doesn't support Windows, then how do those other Windows ports do it?
> Eg. ClamWin. Why do they use versioning numbers that are the same as the original ClamAV code (0.88.7 etc)? I guess they're doing
> something quite different to you?

ClamWin is nothing to do with us and we do not support it, you'll have to ask them.
>
> - Jeremy
>
>
>
> "Nigel Horne" <njh [at] bandsman> wrote in message news:45D42CD6.8060508 [at] bandsman
>> Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> How can I determine the version of ClamAV that is being used with the build from http://w32.clamav.net? I know I can run
>>> "clamscan --version", but that gives me the following:
>>> ClamAV devel-20061213/2571/Thu Feb 15 09:06:05 2007
>>>
>>> ...and I want to be able to see which version of ClamAV itself is being used, ie. 0.88.7 or whatever. Where can I find that?
>> The version *is* ClamAV devel-20061213, i.e. it was built from CVS not the release code. That is
>> because the release code does not support Windows.
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jeremy
>>
>>
>> --
>> Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
>> NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
>> njh [at] bandsman http://www.bandsman.co.uk
>>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://lists.clamav.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/clamav-win32


--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
njh [at] bandsman http://www.bandsman.co.uk


tmetro+clamwin32 at gmail

Feb 15, 2007, 8:25 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2653 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: How to determine the version of w32.clamAV? [In reply to]

Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
> Nigel Horne wrote:
>> The version *is* ClamAV devel-20061213, i.e. it was built from CVS
>> not the release code. That is because the release code does not
>> support Windows.
>
> I had thought that your build was somehow based on the release code,
> just converted over to Windows, like the other Windows ports (ClamWin
> etc) which do use the 0.88.7 versioning format.
...
> if the release code doesn't support Windows, then how do those other
> Windows ports do it?

I don't know the specific facts in this case, but I can give you some
general information that might help clarify things.

One of the differences you are observing are the efforts external to the
core ClamAV development team to port ClamAV to windows versus the
internal efforts. The external developers, like the ClamWin project,
start with a released version of the code, and then apply patches until
it works with Windows. Apparently they retain the original release
numbers when they republish their modified versions.

In contrast the internal developers (specifically Nigel Horne) are
working to modify the official source code so it supports Windows. This
work, like typical new development work, is being applied to the latest
version of the source code, and thus it doesn't have a release number yet.


> Although I don't claim to know exactly what CVS means (I kinda have
> an idea)...

CVS is just the tool used to store the source code. It provide an easy
way to retrieve specific versions (releases) of the code, as well as
helping to coordinate changes being made by multiple developers.

You'll often hear the metaphor of a tree applied to the way the code is
stored in a version control system like CVS. The trunk refers to the
main version of the code that evolves over time. Branches are used to
contain specific changes that need to be temporarily or permanently
isolated from the main trunk. So for example, a risky new feature may be
experimented with on a branch, and later when proven stable, merged into
the trunk.


> ...is there any way to know which release code version of
> ClamAV corresponds to the code you're using? Eg. is it possible to
> say that the code used for devel-20061213 is the same as that used
> for 0.88.7 or something?

While you can't say it is exactly equivalent to something, there are
usually some assertions you can make. If the Windows modifications are
being applied to the trunk of the code, then the development releases
supporting Windows should closely resemble the highest numbered release
(whether that is an alpha, beta, or final release).

Practically speaking, 0.90 appears to be the current stable release (and
I don't see an alpha or beta release listed on the site), so I'd expect
the development releases to closely resemble it.

-Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA
"Enterprise solutions through open source."
Professional Profile: http://tmetro.venturelogic.com/
_______________________________________________
http://lists.clamav.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/clamav-win32


bret.miller at wcg

Feb 15, 2007, 9:09 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2653 views)
Permalink
RE: Re: How to determine the version of w32.clamAV? [In reply to]

> Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
> > Nigel Horne wrote:
> >> The version *is* ClamAV devel-20061213, i.e. it was built from CVS
> >> not the release code. That is because the release code does not
> >> support Windows.
> >
> > I had thought that your build was somehow based on the release code,
> > just converted over to Windows, like the other Windows
> ports (ClamWin
> > etc) which do use the 0.88.7 versioning format.
> ...
> > if the release code doesn't support Windows, then how do those other
> > Windows ports do it?
>
> I don't know the specific facts in this case, but I can give you some
> general information that might help clarify things.
>
> One of the differences you are observing are the efforts
> external to the
> core ClamAV development team to port ClamAV to windows versus the
> internal efforts. The external developers, like the ClamWin project,
> start with a released version of the code, and then apply
> patches until
> it works with Windows. Apparently they retain the original release
> numbers when they republish their modified versions.
>
> In contrast the internal developers (specifically Nigel Horne) are
> working to modify the official source code so it supports
> Windows. This
> work, like typical new development work, is being applied to
> the latest
> version of the source code, and thus it doesn't have a
> release number yet.

I've run both the SOSDG and ClamWin products of ClamAV in the past as
well. ClamWin specifically states the released version number in their
product, so I would assume they start with the released version code and
build from that.

SOSDG probably does that as well. I recall notes on their web site about
"this version is based on...", but their version number shows similar to
the the product at w32.clamav.net-- the development tree version.

All three products have strengths and weeknesses. It is my feeling that
if ClamAV ever decides to have a supported windows binary release, that
it'll probably be closest to what we see at w32.clamav.net and hopefully
will display the released version. My guess is that if that happens,
SOSDG may decide to abandon their project because it so closely
resembles this one. ClamWin OTOH provides significant add-on
functionality (a nice GUI) that isn't available in ClamAV itself, so I
expect that project will continue.

For my current projects, I need a good solid command-line scanner for
Windows, which is exactly what I get here. I hope it gets official
release and support status in the future, but as long as it's available
and working well, I'm likely to continue using it.

Thanks for the good work, Nigel.

Bret



_______________________________________________
http://lists.clamav.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/clamav-win32


budtse at users

Feb 15, 2007, 10:46 AM

Post #9 of 9 (2651 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: How to determine the version of w32.clamAV? [In reply to]

Nigel Horne wrote:
> Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:
>> Incidentally (and just out of curiosity), if the release code doesn't
>> support Windows, then how do those other Windows ports do it? Eg.
>> ClamWin. Why do they use versioning numbers that are the same as the
>> original ClamAV code (0.88.7 etc)? I guess they're doing something
>> quite different to you?
>
> ClamWin is nothing to do with us and we do not support it, you'll have
> to ask them.
ClamWin merges it's code with the release tree, and updates its clamscan
port each time a new clamav version is released.

regards,
budtse

_______________________________________________
http://lists.clamav.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/clamav-win32

ClamAV win32 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.