Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: win32

Can't run Freshclam

ClamAV win32 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ebenze at hotmail

Nov 20, 2006, 9:43 PM

Can't run Freshclam

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed W32 ClamAV devel-20061117/1909/Tue Sep 19
22:58:44 2006 but am unable to run freshclam to update my virus db.

I ran freshclam with the --debug switch and I get the following output:

ClamAV update process started at Tue Nov 21 00:26:40 2006
SECURITY WARNING: NO SUPPORT FOR DIGITAL SIGNATURES
See the FAQ at http://www.clamav.net/faq.html for an explanation.
LibClamAV debug: Can't open CVD file main.inc/main.info
WARNING: Removing corrupted incremental directory main.inc
WARNING: Removing obsolete main.cvd
Downloading main.cvd [100%]
LibClamAV debug: MD5(.tar.gz) = bbd0a1fe83da562a1d6b43e22f4c0626
LibClamAV debug: Can't open CVD file main.inc/main.info
ERROR: Can't parse new database

Do I need GMP installed on my Windows server? If so, where can I find a W32
binary of GMP? I tried searching google, but wasn't able to find anything.

Additionally, what do I need to do to get freshclam to update the DB? Am I
missing something?

I installed ClamAV in the default dir (c:\program files\clamav) and used the
default conf/freshclam.conf file. Am running on Win2K.

Thanks!

Eric

njh at bandsman

Nov 21, 2006, 1:35 AM

Re: Can't run Freshclam [In reply to]

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 00:43 -0500, Eric B. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded and installed W32 ClamAV devel-20061117/1909/Tue Sep 19
> 22:58:44 2006 but am unable to run freshclam to update my virus db.
>
> I ran freshclam with the --debug switch and I get the following output:
>
> ClamAV update process started at Tue Nov 21 00:26:40 2006
> SECURITY WARNING: NO SUPPORT FOR DIGITAL SIGNATURES
> See the FAQ at http://www.clamav.net/faq.html for an explanation.
> LibClamAV debug: Can't open CVD file main.inc/main.info
> WARNING: Removing corrupted incremental directory main.inc
> WARNING: Removing obsolete main.cvd
> Downloading main.cvd [100%]
> LibClamAV debug: MD5(.tar.gz) = bbd0a1fe83da562a1d6b43e22f4c0626
> LibClamAV debug: Can't open CVD file main.inc/main.info
> ERROR: Can't parse new database

Remove everything from the c:\program files\clamav\data folder (or where
ever your data are held according to freshclam.conf and clamd.conf) and
rerun freshclam. Then report back here.

> Thanks!
>
> Eric

-Nigel

ebenze at hotmail

Nov 21, 2006, 7:57 AM

Re: Can't run Freshclam [In reply to]

>> Hi,
>>
>> I just downloaded and installed W32 ClamAV devel-20061117/1909/Tue Sep 19
>> 22:58:44 2006 but am unable to run freshclam to update my virus db.
>>
>> I ran freshclam with the --debug switch and I get the following output:
>>
>> ClamAV update process started at Tue Nov 21 00:26:40 2006
>> SECURITY WARNING: NO SUPPORT FOR DIGITAL SIGNATURES
>> See the FAQ at http://www.clamav.net/faq.html for an explanation.
>> LibClamAV debug: Can't open CVD file main.inc/main.info
>> WARNING: Removing corrupted incremental directory main.inc
>> WARNING: Removing obsolete main.cvd
>> Downloading main.cvd [100%]
>> LibClamAV debug: MD5(.tar.gz) = bbd0a1fe83da562a1d6b43e22f4c0626
>> LibClamAV debug: Can't open CVD file main.inc/main.info
>> ERROR: Can't parse new database
>
> Remove everything from the c:\program files\clamav\data folder (or where
> ever your data are held according to freshclam.conf and clamd.conf) and
> rerun freshclam. Then report back here.

Works fine once I delete the contents of the data directory. Can't beleive
I didn't think of trying that last night; cost me 2 hours trying different
options in the config file thinking the problem was hidden elsewhere.

Is there any concern with the security warning for no support for digital
signatures? Or is this just something one has to be concerned with when
running in *nix OS?

Thanks!

Eric

njh at bandsman

Nov 21, 2006, 8:04 AM

Re: Re: Can't run Freshclam [In reply to]

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 10:57 -0500, Eric B. wrote:

> Is there any concern with the security warning for no support for digital
> signatures? Or is this just something one has to be concerned with when
> running in *nix OS?

It's on my (hideously long) TODO list.