Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: win32

Which win32 port to use?

ClamAV win32 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ebenze at hotmail

Nov 20, 2006, 1:05 PM

Which win32 port to use?

Hi,

I noticed there are a bunch of Win32 ports of ClamAV on the net. I am
looking for a native Win32 package. Which port should I be using? Can
someone recommend one?
http://w32.clamav.net
http://www.bransoft.com/clamav.html
http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/
http://www.clamwin.net

I'm partial to w32.clamav.net simply b/c it is maintained by ClamAV
developpers, but I can't seem to find version numbers for the binary, so I
have no idea which version I am downloading or how often/up-to-date the port
is.

Thanks!

Eric

njh at bandsman

Nov 21, 2006, 1:15 AM

Re: Which win32 port to use? [In reply to]

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 16:05 -0500, Eric B. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed there are a bunch of Win32 ports of ClamAV on the net. I am
> looking for a native Win32 package. Which port should I be using? Can
> someone recommend one?
> http://w32.clamav.net
> http://www.bransoft.com/clamav.html
> http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/
> http://www.clamwin.net
>

> I'm partial to w32.clamav.net simply b/c it is maintained by ClamAV
> developpers, but I can't seem to find version numbers for the binary, so I
> have no idea which version I am downloading or how often/up-to-date the port
> is.

clamscan --version

> Thanks!
>
> Eric

-Nigel

drgoa.r at gmail

Nov 21, 2006, 5:25 AM

Re: Which win32 port to use? [In reply to]

Nigel, can you release installer without virus database?
You update often the binaries, so we don't need to got the whole
database (and it is older than current we already have after r0unning
freshclam) again with every update.
Thanks!

njh at bandsman

Nov 21, 2006, 6:18 AM

Re: Which win32 port to use? [In reply to]

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 15:25 +0200, drgoa.r wrote:
> Nigel, can you release installer without virus database?
> You update often the binaries, so we don't need to got the whole
> database (and it is older than current we already have after r0unning
> freshclam) again with every update.

That's a reasonable request. I'll create a "binary only, no signatures"
release.

Please create an entry at
https://wwws.clamav.net/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=ClamAV
with the severity set to "enhancement".

> Thanks!

dave-usenet at djwcomputers

Nov 21, 2006, 7:34 AM

Re: Which win32 port to use? [In reply to]

In message <1164118702.3457.3.camel [at] localhos> Nigel Horne
<njh [at] bandsman> wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 15:25 +0200, drgoa.r wrote:
>> Nigel, can you release installer without virus database?
>> You update often the binaries, so we don't need to got the whole
>> database (and it is older than current we already have after r0unning
>> freshclam) again with every update.
>
>That's a reasonable request. I'll create a "binary only, no signatures"
>release.
>
>Please create an entry at
>https://wwws.clamav.net/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=ClamAV
>with the severity set to "enhancement".

On the topic of upgrading, what is the proper way to upgrade? As far as
I can tell the new MSI won't install until I uninstall the old one,
which nukes my configuration too.

Not a big deal to script the whole thing into one automated upgrade, but
is there a "proper" way to do it (or a ZIP release, so that I could just
pull the ZIP files?)
--
Dave Warren,
MSN Instant Messenger: dave [at] djwcomputers

ebenze at hotmail

Nov 21, 2006, 7:55 AM

Re: Which win32 port to use? [In reply to]

> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 15:25 +0200, drgoa.r wrote:
>> Nigel, can you release installer without virus database?
>> You update often the binaries, so we don't need to got the whole
>> database (and it is older than current we already have after r0unning
>> freshclam) again with every update.
>
> That's a reasonable request. I'll create a "binary only, no signatures"
> release.
>
> Please create an entry at
> https://wwws.clamav.net/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=ClamAV
> with the severity set to "enhancement".

If you could also include releases in ZIP format, it would help
substantially. I spent the better part of an hour needing to upgrade the
server installing the .NET framework and the proper MSI installer, etc, only
to basically unzip files into a directory. :) If I could have simply
unzipped the files into the clamAV directory it would have saved me a lot of
hassle.

Thanks,

Eric

njh at bandsman

Nov 21, 2006, 8:15 AM

Re: Re: Which win32 port to use? [In reply to]

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 08:34 -0700, Dave Warren wrote:
> In message <1164118702.3457.3.camel [at] localhos> Nigel Horne
> <njh [at] bandsman> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 15:25 +0200, drgoa.r wrote:
> >> Nigel, can you release installer without virus database?
> >> You update often the binaries, so we don't need to got the whole
> >> database (and it is older than current we already have after r0unning
> >> freshclam) again with every update.
> >
> >That's a reasonable request. I'll create a "binary only, no signatures"
> >release.
> >
> >Please create an entry at
> >https://wwws.clamav.net/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=ClamAV
> >with the severity set to "enhancement".
>
> On the topic of upgrading, what is the proper way to upgrade? As far as
> I can tell the new MSI won't install until I uninstall the old one,
> which nukes my configuration too.

Also already on my TODO list :-(

-Nigel