Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: win32

bede: tfm on access scanner URL offline?

ClamAV win32 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

danett18 at yahoo

Sep 25, 2006, 10:10 PM

bede: tfm on access scanner URL offline?

Hi Bede,

I seen you constructed a system to check files for
virus in a form like after access virus checker called
tfm_onaccessscan, that are hosted at
http://bede.tfm.ro/clamav/tfm_onaccessscan/, however
I'm unable to access it, everytime I try it fail in
the resolution name.

Can you put it in some other place? Maybe in the
YouSendIt (http://www.yousendit.com/) ?

OBS: Someone have any project to create a kernel
module to scan files for virus in Windows before they
are accessed ?

Thannk you all and congratulations for good job.

DOUBT: LibclamAV is GPL and I seen in the 3rd party
software: "vdetect: Supports: libclamav.

vdetect is a simple virus scanner for Windows using
libclamav library. Both executable and ActiveX online
version are available."

So this COMMERCIAL AntiVirus (ViGUARD) use the
LibclamAV engine and all their signatures? Are this
allowed? I thinked it couldn't be done because the
license, and I got very surprised their are in ClamAV
3rd party softwares, since I thinked it tainted the
GPL license... :~?

Cheers

sarocet at gmail

Sep 26, 2006, 6:33 AM

Re: bede: tfm on access scanner URL offline? [In reply to]

GPL allows commercial use of the software. But they should provide their
source code, under the GPL too.
bede.tfm.ro doesn't resolve for me neither.

danett18 at yahoo

Sep 26, 2006, 10:25 AM

Re: bede: tfm on access scanner URL offline? [In reply to]

Hi Sacoret,

--- Sarocet <sarocet [at] gmail> escreveu:
> GPL allows commercial use of the software. But they
> should provide their source code, under the GPL too.

They should provide THEIR entire source or ONLY the
modifications made in ClamAV (or maybe the
modifications in libclamAV) ?

Anyway I looked at their site and appear that vdetect
doesn't exist more, now only a virus scanner called
viGUARD that have closed source. If this company used
for long time libclamAV is hard to belive that the new
version (closed source) doesn't use more GPL
(libclamAV source), ahn?

But no way to now, how will the community know if they
"stolen" the code from GPL and closed it? In this way
profiting inside the GPL community... :(

OBS: Maybe I can be mading wrong observation.

> bede.tfm.ro doesn't resolve for me neither.

Really bad. bede are you alive?

Thank you

budtse at users

Sep 26, 2006, 12:02 PM

Re: bede: tfm on access scanner URL offline? [In reply to]

Danett,

Two different situations must be considered here :

- If they call libclamav directly, they should release their code under
GPL.
- If however, they use clamd service and send files to it over a socket
connection or pipe (and not call libclamav directly), they can use any
license they want. Only changes to the GPL'ed code would have to be
shared.

We had this discussion before about ClamXAv, which is a closed source
user interface for Clam on OS-X.

Hope this info is usefull,

Budtse