Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: users

False positive suspicion - Fax Server Plus

ClamAV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

support at faxserverplus

False positive suspicion - Fax Server Plus

To whom it may concern:

We got some reports from our customers said our website reported as Malware
Site by Bitdefender.
Here is the download links of all our products:
http://faxserverplus.com/download/FSPQuick.EXE
http://faxserverplus.com/download/faxserverplusevl.exe

Could you please check it out?

Regards,
Nicole
http://www.faxserverplus.com
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

alvarnell at mac

Re: False positive suspicion - Fax Server Plus [In reply to]

On 5/8/12 1:42 AM, "Nicole Brown" <support [at] faxserverplus> wrote:

> We got some reports from our customers said our website reported as Malware
> Site by Bitdefender.
> Here is the download links of all our products:
> http://faxserverplus.com/download/FSPQuick.EXE
> http://faxserverplus.com/download/faxserverplusevl.exe

Why would you be asking clamav-users to check out something BitDefender
finds? Shouldn't you be contacting them?

-Al-

--
Al Varnell
Mountain View, CA

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

fajar at fajar

Re: False positive suspicion - Fax Server Plus [In reply to]

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Al Varnell <alvarnell [at] mac> wrote:
> On 5/8/12 1:42 AM, "Nicole Brown" <support [at] faxserverplus> wrote:
>
>> We got some reports from our customers said our website reported as Malware
>> Site by Bitdefender.
>> Here is the download links of all our products:
>> http://faxserverplus.com/download/FSPQuick.EXE
>> http://faxserverplus.com/download/faxserverplusevl.exe
>>
> Why would you be asking clamav-users to check out something BitDefender
> finds? Shouldn't you be contacting them?

To be fair, one of the files WAS recognized as malware by clamav :
https://www.virustotal.com/file/bf5a62810d8ff28129d84c982e80e4a062d33fd1e082483dfc1f56033491f79d/analysis/1336239300/

So it probably qualifies as FP report. However, since PUA submissions
are automatically rejected, I'm not sure what the best way to proceed.

The "our website reported as Malware" part should probably be ignored
as it's not relevant to this list.

--
Fajar

Re: False positive suspicion - Fax Server Plus [In reply to]

sorry. I meant by Clamav...

Our products also reported as Malware site by Bitdefender, so I forward
the email to this group,
but didn't forget to change the software name.....

Wish you have a good day!

Regards,
Nicole

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Nicole Brown <faxserverplus [at] gmail>wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar [at] fajar> wrote:

>> Malware
>> >>
>> > Why would you be asking clamav-users to check out something BitDefender
>> > finds? Shouldn't you be contacting them?
>>
>> To be fair, one of the files WAS recognized as malware by clamav :
>>
>> https://www.virustotal.com/file/bf5a62810d8ff28129d84c982e80e4a062d33fd1e082483dfc1f56033491f79d/analysis/1336239300/
>>
>> So it probably qualifies as FP report. However, since PUA submissions
>> are automatically rejected, I'm not sure what the best way to proceed.
>>
>> The "our website reported as Malware" part should probably be ignored
>> as it's not relevant to this list.
>>
>> --
>> Fajar
>> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
>> http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

tshaw at oitc

Re: False positive suspicion - Fax Server Plus [In reply to]

On May 8, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Al Varnell <alvarnell [at] mac> wrote:
>> On 5/8/12 1:42 AM, "Nicole Brown" <support [at] faxserverplus> wrote:
>>
>>> We got some reports from our customers said our website reported as Malware
>>> Site by Bitdefender.
>>> Here is the download links of all our products:
>>> http://faxserverplus.com/download/FSPQuick.EXE
>>> http://faxserverplus.com/download/faxserverplusevl.exe
>>>
>> Why would you be asking clamav-users to check out something BitDefender
>> finds? Shouldn't you be contacting them?
>
> To be fair, one of the files WAS recognized as malware by clamav :
> https://www.virustotal.com/file/bf5a62810d8ff28129d84c982e80e4a062d33fd1e082483dfc1f56033491f79d/analysis/1336239300/
>
> So it probably qualifies as FP report. However, since PUA submissions
> are automatically rejected, I'm not sure what the best way to proceed.
>
> The "our website reported as Malware" part should probably be ignored
> as it's not relevant to this list.

They should check BitDefender. If there is a setting to disable PUA checking, then it is a user issue as the user selected to detect PUAs. If there is not a selectable option then it should be a bug report to BitDefender. If used in a mailserver environment then PUA detects maybe be miss-weighted.

After all PUA is disable by default out of the box by ClamAV so someone else must have enabled it.

Tom
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

me at junc

Re: False positive suspicion - Fax Server Plus [In reply to]

Den 2012-05-08 11:18, Al Varnell skrev:

> Why would you be asking clamav-users to check out something
> BitDefender finds? Shouldn't you be contacting them?

if its really is a virus i would like to have clamav detect it as a
virus, remembering my time of have bitdefender, f-prot here myself where
i sent samples clamav did not detect, is this old school ?

in gentoo there is only clamav left in portage, so i hope i have not
stepped on my own foot