Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: users

Re: False positive submission page down

ClamAV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ged at jubileegroup

Re: False positive submission page down

Hi there,

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> * Luca Gibelli <luca [at] clamav>:
>>
>>> $ telnet proxy.charite.de 8080
>>> Trying 141.42.1.205...
>>> Connected to proxy.charite.de.
>>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>> GET http://cgi.clamav.net/sendfp.cgi HTTP/1.0
>>
>> we use name based virtual hosting, you must switch to HTTP/1.1 and
>> send a Host: header as well
>>
>> See http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html and
>> http://www8.org/w8-papers/5c-protocols/key/key.html
>>
>> Most likely your proxy is issuing a HTTP/1.0 request upstream?
>
> It's still not working and unfortunately your admin is not willing to
> check the logs to see whats being logged for my source IP.

Mt. Hildebrandt, you are being unreasonable.

The problem has been clearly explained to you, and it is your problem
to solve. You must not expect people who are managing a Web resource
which may have many thousands of clients to solve problems for every
individual client. It "does not scale". It cannot be done.

You need to access the Website using HTTP/1.1 not the old HTTP/1.0.
You need to ensure that the client requesting the resources tells the
host which virtual host it wishes to contact. That is the purpose of
the "Host:" header.

If your client does not send the correct headers, the software which
receives the requests cannot pass them to the right server instance
because your client has not told it which one it wants to talk to.

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------
laptop:~$ >>> wget --no-proxy http://cgi.clamav.net/sendfp.cgi
--2012-05-04 11:14:46-- http://cgi.clamav.net/sendfp.cgi
Resolving cgi.clamav.net... 194.109.142.194
Connecting to cgi.clamav.net|194.109.142.194|:80... connected.
Length: 2474 (2.4K) [text/html]
Saving to: `sendfp.cgi'

100%[======= ... =================>] 2,474 --.-K/s in 0.005s

2012-05-04 11:14:46 (502 KB/s) - `sendfp.cgi' saved [2474/2474]
8<--------------------------------------------------------------------

--

73,
Ged.

Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite

Re: False positive submission page down [In reply to]

* G.W. Haywood <ged [at] jubileegroup>:

> Mt. Hildebrandt, you are being unreasonable.
>
> The problem has been clearly explained to you, and it is your problem
> to solve. You must not expect people who are managing a Web resource
> which may have many thousands of clients to solve problems for every
> individual client. It "does not scale". It cannot be done.
>
> You need to access the Website using HTTP/1.1 not the old HTTP/1.0.

I did that.

> You need to ensure that the client requesting the resources tells the
> host which virtual host it wishes to contact. That is the purpose of
> the "Host:" header.

It does that.

Only from a very limited IP address range I'm getting this
"Maintenance" error message. Thus my reasonable request to check the
server's logs.

> If your client does not send the correct headers, the software which
> receives the requests cannot pass them to the right server instance
> because your client has not told it which one it wants to talk to.

It's not a client issue. It depends on my source IP.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin
ralf.hildebrandt [at] charite Campus Benjamin Franklin