Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: users

Compiling and installing from an NFS mount

ClamAV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

forrie at gmail

Mar 12, 2012, 2:33 PM

Compiling and installing from an NFS mount

I've run into a quirky issue with installing ClamAV from an NFS mount.
I do this to keep the same code available to all my systems. I have
separate mounts for 32- and 64-bit.

For ClamAV, the installation will fail because the NFS mount itself is
read-only (ro):

make[3]: Entering directory `/local/dist/clamav/clamav-0.97.3/libclamav'
GEN version.h.tmp
rm: cannot remove `version.h.tmp': Read-only file system
touch: cannot touch `version.h.tmp': Read-only file system

Without digging into how this works, I believe I see what's going on --
but I wonder if there's a clever way around this. I really don't want
to go through and change the mounts to read-write -- they are read-only
for a reason -- or copy the code over and install each individually.

Thanks.

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

cswiger at mac

Mar 12, 2012, 2:40 PM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

On Mar 12, 2012, at 2:33 PM, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> I've run into a quirky issue with installing ClamAV from an NFS mount. I do this to keep the same code available to all my systems. I have separate mounts for 32- and 64-bit.
>
> For ClamAV, the installation will fail because the NFS mount itself is read-only (ro):
>
> make[3]: Entering directory `/local/dist/clamav/clamav-0.97.3/libclamav'
> GEN version.h.tmp
> rm: cannot remove `version.h.tmp': Read-only file system
> touch: cannot touch `version.h.tmp': Read-only file system
>
> Without digging into how this works, I believe I see what's going on -- but I wonder if there's a clever way around this. I really don't want to go through and change the mounts to read-write -- they are read-only for a reason -- or copy the code over and install each individually.

You can keep the sources on a read-only filesystem, but objdir is expected to be writeable.

You haven't mentioned which platform you are using, but many platforms (Linux, Solaris, *BSD) support the notion of turning installed software into a package, which can then be installed on other machines.

-Chuck

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

pk1048 at gmail

Mar 12, 2012, 2:49 PM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Forrest Aldrich <forrie [at] gmail> wrote:

> Without digging into how this works, I believe I see what's going on -- but
> I wonder if there's a clever way around this.   I really don't want to go
> through and change the mounts to read-write -- they are read-only for a
> reason -- or copy the code over and install each individually.

Why not just build it on the NFS server (for all your platforms)
and run it from the RO NFS mount instead of trying to install from
there ?

I have done a similar thing with Solaris and Non-Global Zones.
ClamAV is built in the read-write Global zone, and then all the
Non-Global zones have read-only access to the executable and database.
Freshclam is run in the Global Zone to update the database.

--
{--------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7---------}
Paul Kraus

bryan at skiblack

Mar 12, 2012, 6:01 PM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

The option I use to do these sorts of installs when I have binary compatible systems is to do a "make" for each type, then just "make install" off the NFS mount.

--Bryan

On Mar 12, 2012, at 5:33 PM, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I've run into a quirky issue with installing ClamAV from an NFS mount. I do this to keep the same code available to all my systems. I have separate mounts for 32- and 64-bit.
>
> For ClamAV, the installation will fail because the NFS mount itself is read-only (ro):
>
> make[3]: Entering directory `/local/dist/clamav/clamav-0.97.3/libclamav'
> GEN version.h.tmp
> rm: cannot remove `version.h.tmp': Read-only file system
> touch: cannot touch `version.h.tmp': Read-only file system
>
> Without digging into how this works, I believe I see what's going on -- but I wonder if there's a clever way around this. I really don't want to go through and change the mounts to read-write -- they are read-only for a reason -- or copy the code over and install each individually.

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

ged at jubileegroup

Mar 13, 2012, 4:47 AM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

Hi there,

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I've run into a quirky issue with installing ClamAV from an NFS mount.

It's what you're doing that's quirky. :)

> I do this to keep the same code available to all my systems. I have
> separate mounts for 32- and 64-bit.

For something like ClamAV, I don't see the point. You seem to be
making it harder for yourself than it needs to be.

> For ClamAV, the installation will fail because the NFS mount itself is
> read-only (ro):

As Mr. Swiger said, that's expected.

> ... I wonder if there's a clever way around this. I really don't want
> to go through and change the mounts to read-write -- they are read-only
> for a reason -- or copy the code over and install each individually.

As I said, I think you're making this harder than it needs to be. You
do know that after "make install" you can delete the entire source tree
if you don't want to keep it? What's wrong with a small shell script?

#!/bin/bash
cd /tmp
tar xzvf /nfs_mount/clamav-x.xx.tgz
cd clamav-x.xx
./configure --with-various-options
make
sudo make install
cd ..
rm -rf clamav-x.xx

--

73,
Ged.

dehaenp at drever

Mar 13, 2012, 7:32 AM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

Hmm, my script is a bit more complex as it:
- unzip & untar
- configure
- make && make check
- backs up the current clamav directory (who knows...)
- backs up the configuration files
- disable the clamav service (I'm running on Solaris)
- make uninstall (from the previous build directory)
- make install
- mkdir, chown, chmod the service method and manifest subdirectories under the prefix
directory (which is /opt/clamav here)
- touches /opt/clamav/etc/clamd if needed
- copies the manifest if needed
- imports the manifest to create the service if needed
- compares the old revision freshclam.conf.orig and freshclam.conf to reapply (patch) the
same changes to the current freshclam.conf
- does the same for clamd.conf
- checks if my own signatures have not disappeared
- enables the service and checks if it starts smoothly.

It's maybe overkill here and there but, for instance, I don't want to reconfigure manually
clamav and freshclam from the default files, and I don't want to keep the old configuration
files that may miss new settings. If you have any advise, please share !

Thank you
Regards,
Pierre

On 13 Mar 2012 at 11:47, G.W. Haywood wrote:

> [...]
> What's wrong with a small shell script?
>
> #!/bin/bash
> cd /tmp
> tar xzvf /nfs_mount/clamav-x.xx.tgz
> cd clamav-x.xx
> ./configure --with-various-options
> make
> sudo make install
> cd ..
> rm -rf clamav-x.xx
>
> --
>
> 73,
> Ged.
> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
> http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

shashaness at hotmail

Mar 13, 2012, 9:08 AM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

As in administrator I would be very afraid to automate the installation or updating of any software.

Are you doing many machines? If so, and they all use the same OS, why not build on one, and just distribute the build to all the others?

Just sharing :)

Mar 13, 2012, 10:02 AM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

No, I just install on a few mail filtering machines, all Solaris... and the script is not automated:
it asks for confirmation before doing each step and it shows output of commands, so you can
stop the script, verify, fix, etc, and restart, skip some steps already done, and complete the
update. And ss this is something I have to do every few months only, it helps to remember
the exact procedure.

Build on one, distribute to others can be risky if they are not at the same revision of the
packages.

Pierre

On 13 Mar 2012 at 12:08, Shawn Bakhtiar wrote:

> As in administrator I would be very afraid to automate the installation or updating of any software.
>
> Are you doing many machines? If so, and they all use the same OS, why not build on one, and just distribute the build to all the others?
>
> Just sharing :)
>

> > From: dehaenp [at] drever
> > To: clamav-users [at] lists
> > Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:32:40 +0100
> > Subject: Re: [clamav-users] Compiling and installing from an NFS mount
> >
> > Hmm, my script is a bit more complex as it:
> > - unzip & untar
> > - configure
> > - make && make check
> > - backs up the current clamav directory (who knows...)
> > - backs up the configuration files
> > - disable the clamav service (I'm running on Solaris)
> > - make uninstall (from the previous build directory)
> > - make install
> > - mkdir, chown, chmod the service method and manifest subdirectories under the prefix
> > directory (which is /opt/clamav here)
> > - touches /opt/clamav/etc/clamd if needed
> > - copies the manifest if needed
> > - imports the manifest to create the service if needed
> > - compares the old revision freshclam.conf.orig and freshclam.conf to reapply (patch) the
> > same changes to the current freshclam.conf
> > - does the same for clamd.conf
> > - checks if my own signatures have not disappeared
> > - enables the service and checks if it starts smoothly.
> >
> > It's maybe overkill here and there but, for instance, I don't want to reconfigure manually
> > clamav and freshclam from the default files, and I don't want to keep the old configuration
> > files that may miss new settings. If you have any advise, please share !
> >
> > Thank you
> > Regards,
> > Pierre
> >
> > On 13 Mar 2012 at 11:47, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> >
> > > [...]
> > > What's wrong with a small shell script?
> > >
> > > #!/bin/bash
> > > cd /tmp
> > > tar xzvf /nfs_mount/clamav-x.xx.tgz
> > > cd clamav-x.xx
> > > ./configure --with-various-options
> > > make
> > > sudo make install
> > > cd ..
> > > rm -rf clamav-x.xx
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > 73,
> > > Ged.
> > > Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
> > > http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

> > Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
> > http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
> http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

forrie at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 12:32 PM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

[ .. ]

>> I do this to keep the same code available to all my systems. I have
>> separate mounts for 32- and 64-bit.
>
> For something like ClamAV, I don't see the point. You seem to be
> making it harder for yourself than it needs to be.
This is a matter of opinion :-) My goal is to have the code all NFS
mounted, but at the moment our internal rollout process is localized.

What's happening is the clamav installation (make install) creates a
file *.tmp and removes it. This is why the process failed because I
mount the directory read-only on most of the systems to prevent
corruption. This is easily resolved by simply using another NFS mount
from where I keep distribution src.

>> For ClamAV, the installation will fail because the NFS mount itself is
>> read-only (ro):
>
> As Mr. Swiger said, that's expected.
I know that. I just asked if there was a way around it, and I see my
solution will work (separate mount).

>> ... I wonder if there's a clever way around this. I really don't want
>> to go through and change the mounts to read-write -- they are read-only
>> for a reason -- or copy the code over and install each individually.
>
> As I said, I think you're making this harder than it needs to be. You
> do know that after "make install" you can delete the entire source tree
> if you don't want to keep it? What's wrong with a small shell script?

I think you misunderstand. I'm keeping the source tree -- one build for
32-bit, the other for 64-bit. It would otherwise make no sense to bring
the code to each system and build repeatedly :-)

ClamAV has very little overhead that I can tell, but what I'm concerned
about with NFS is if these systems utilize an NFS mount, then the daily
signature updates will need to be moved off; at the moment they are
defaulting to:

/usr/local/share/clamav
/usr/local/share/clamav/mirrors.dat
/usr/local/share/clamav/bytecode.cld
/usr/local/share/clamav/daily.cld
/usr/local/share/clamav/main.cld

I can set this in the freshclam.conf file to /var/lib/clamav - but it's
another directory to worry about locally which I can address with Puppet.

Thanks.

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

forrie at gmail

Mar 13, 2012, 12:40 PM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

On 3/13/12 1:02 PM, Pierre Dehaen wrote:
> No, I just install on a few mail filtering machines, all Solaris... and the script is not automated:
> it asks for confirmation before doing each step and it shows output of commands, so you can
> stop the script, verify, fix, etc, and restart, skip some steps already done, and complete the
> update. And ss this is something I have to do every few months only, it helps to remember
> the exact procedure.
>
> Build on one, distribute to others can be risky if they are not at the same revision of the
> packages.
>
> Pierre
>
> On 13 Mar 2012 at 12:08, Shawn Bakhtiar wrote:
>
>> As in administrator I would be very afraid to automate the installation or updating of any software.
>>
>> Are you doing many machines? If so, and they all use the same OS, why not build on one, and just distribute the build to all the others?
>>
>> Just sharing :)

In our case, it's all the same revision/OS (RHEL 5.x) -- we have both
32- and 64-bit to contend with, therefore 2 separate builds and NFS
exports. The ideal case being to import that directory tree and use that
in production instead of having to roll out to each system (we do perl
and other finicky builds).

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

ged at jubileegroup

Mar 14, 2012, 4:43 AM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

Hello again,

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> What's happening is the clamav installation (make install) creates a
> file *.tmp and removes it. This is why the process failed because I
> mount the directory read-only on most of the systems to prevent
> corruption. This is easily resolved by simply using another NFS mount
> from where I keep distribution src.
> I think you misunderstand. I'm keeping the source tree ...

No, I understand that you're keeping the source tree, I just don't
understand why you are keeping it if you're so worried that it might
become corrupted. Why not just delete it when the build is finished?
Then it's most unlikely to get corrupted. :)

> ClamAV has very little overhead that I can tell, but what I'm concerned
> about with NFS is if these systems utilize an NFS mount, then the daily
> signature updates will need to be moved off; at the moment they are
> defaulting to:
>
> /usr/local/share/clamav
> /usr/local/share/clamav/mirrors.dat
> /usr/local/share/clamav/bytecode.cld
> /usr/local/share/clamav/daily.cld
> /usr/local/share/clamav/main.cld
>
> I can set this in the freshclam.conf file to /var/lib/clamav - but it's
> another directory to worry about locally which I can address with Puppet.

There you go making life difficult for yourself again. Why not set up
your own ClamAV database mirror?

> In our case, it's all the same revision/OS (RHEL 5.x) -- we have both
> 32- and 64-bit to contend with, therefore 2 separate builds ...

I understand that. What I don't understand is why you don't just build
your own RPM and have your mail filtering machines install that instead
of doing weird and wonderful things with NFS.

What's this 'corruption' that you're so afraid of? If you want some
files to be immutable, then on Solaris look at

man chflags

or on Linux etc.

man chattr

> and NFS exports. The ideal case being to import that directory tree and
> use that in production instead of having to roll out to each system

I don't understand that. All you're doing is building in a single
point of failure. NFS sucks anyway, but when it goes down all your
mail filtering will go down with it.

--

73,
Ged.
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

forrie at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 10:14 AM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

On 3/14/12 7:43 AM, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
>
>> What's happening is the clamav installation (make install) creates a
>> file *.tmp and removes it. This is why the process failed because I
>> mount the directory read-only on most of the systems to prevent
>> corruption. This is easily resolved by simply using another NFS mount
>> from where I keep distribution src.
>> I think you misunderstand. I'm keeping the source tree ...
>
> No, I understand that you're keeping the source tree, I just don't
> understand why you are keeping it if you're so worried that it might
> become corrupted. Why not just delete it when the build is finished?
> Then it's most unlikely to get corrupted. :)

LOL no, I'm concerned about /usr/local becoming corrupted - the binary
NFS mount that we want to use on our production systems. The problem I
ran into is doing a "make install" from a read-only NFS mount broke the
installation as it needs to create (and remove) a *.tmp file. I had
built it from another system onto that export mount.

> There you go making life difficult for yourself again. Why not set up
> your own ClamAV database mirror?
I'm not sure how to do this; however, we have only about 4 or 5 machines
that poll for virus updates. And the mirror would be private (not
publicly accessible).

>> In our case, it's all the same revision/OS (RHEL 5.x) -- we have both
>> 32- and 64-bit to contend with, therefore 2 separate builds ...
>
> I understand that. What I don't understand is why you don't just build
> your own RPM and have your mail filtering machines install that instead
> of doing weird and wonderful things with NFS.
I think creating custom RPMs for this is overkill for what I need.

> What's this 'corruption' that you're so afraid of? If you want some
> files to be immutable, then on Solaris look at
Corruption meaning I don't want local users (even privileged) to write
to the NFS mount, we want to keep the binaries (and their configs that
need to be there) in a consistent state.

> I don't understand that. All you're doing is building in a single
> point of failure. NFS sucks anyway, but when it goes down all your
> mail filtering will go down with it.
Believe me, I understand that. What we really need (for all our video
and other stuff) is a SAN. But try to convince my boss' boss about that
one! ;-) I gave up. I just work with what I have :-)

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

bonivart at opencsw

Mar 14, 2012, 10:20 AM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Forrest Aldrich <forrie [at] gmail> wrote:
>> There you go making life difficult for yourself again.  Why not set up
>> your own ClamAV database mirror?
>
> I'm not sure how to do this; however, we have only about 4 or 5 machines
> that poll for virus updates.   And the mirror would be private (not publicly
> accessible).

Just run freshclam on a machine having a web server on it. Then point
freshclam on your scanning machines to that machine.
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

jimlinux at commspeed

Mar 14, 2012, 11:19 AM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

On 03/14/2012 10:14 AM, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

>>> In our case, it's all the same revision/OS (RHEL 5.x) -- we have both
>>> 32- and 64-bit to contend with, therefore 2 separate builds ...
>>
>> I understand that. What I don't understand is why you don't just build
>> your own RPM and have your mail filtering machines install that instead
>> of doing weird and wonderful things with NFS.
> I think creating custom RPMs for this is overkill for what I need.
Actually creating RPMs is an easy process and essentially automated,
needing just downloading the new sources and editing the version file to
match the sources. I did this as an exercise when the distributed
binaries no longer worked on my system (due to my own customizations,
not any fault of the builders). Took a little bit of figuring out but
the process was fairly simple. At the same time I worked on compiling
from sources. I choose to use the build from sources as I only have one
server to maintain clamav on. In your case, the RPMs may be a simpler
solution since you have multiple systems but ... only you can decide that.

--
Jim Preston
jimlinux [at] commspeed

http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

ged at jubileegroup

Mar 15, 2012, 4:29 AM

Re: Compiling and installing from an NFS mount [In reply to]

Hello again,

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> > ... Why not just delete it when the build is finished?
> > Then it's most unlikely to get corrupted. :)
>
> LOL no, I'm concerned about /usr/local becoming corrupted - the binary
> NFS mount that we want to use on our production systems.

Get rid of that too. Then it won't get corrupted either. :)

> > ... Why not set up your own ClamAV database mirror?
>
> I'm not sure how to do this...

It's documented. I'm not sure if this is the latest 'official' advice
but it's what I found on the ClamAV Wiki just now:

http://wiki.clamav.net/Main/CvdPrivateMirror

Easy enough if you're familiar with Web servers, and I think preferable
to NFS mounts in almost every way. Your mail services will chug along
even if the mirror goes down, just a few bleatings in the logs, so you
won't have to rush back from your half-day's holiday to fix it. Always
assuming that the boss allows you the odd half-day now and then. :)

> I think creating custom RPMs for this is overkill ...

Mr. Preston's reply covered that, it's not a lot of work.

73,
Ged.